IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

3 hours ago, drome said:

Could say the same about you.

What are you all about?

You think it’s worth ruining the livelihoods of millions of people over a statistically small mortality rate?

Are you willing to make that call? How many deaths are too many? Who would you like to sacrifice? How old would someone have to be for you to let them die? 80? 75? 70? How much life is enough life?

If you were in that position, would you really pull the lever?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 1

Look I’m done with this.

You’d happily give up your freedom for likes and validation.

Please carry on with your lockdown circle jerk and disregard the effect it has on EVERYONE’s mental welfare.

Good luck.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

I would happily give up more of my privacy for almost South Korean style containment next time around. I'm now convinced it actually amounts to a quicker return to freedom and greater economic recovery in the long run, compared to muddling along for at least another year.

Sadly we have a new surge to deal with first.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Farnsworth 1

I'd just like to point out that every country I haven't been to doesn't exist. The sun is a lightbulb and the moon is wheel of cheese as far as I can tell from my point of view.

It's very bumpy as far as I can see, but we've never met so you shouldn't trust me.

3 hours ago, drome said:

Look I’m done with this.

You’d happily give up your freedom for likes and validation.

Please carry on with your lockdown circle jerk and disregard the effect it has on EVERYONE’s mental welfare.

Good luck.

You're welcome.

2 hours ago, Tim_J said:

Yeah the earth is flat... 

Around the equator? For all intents and purposes, yes it is.

Over here in the higher latitudes, the curvature of the earth should be taken into account when calculating the distance between coordinates.

• Farnsworth 1

So you're not trusting any of the people in this thread who have mentioned knowing people who have had or died from Corona, nor the testimony of hundreds of thousands of doctors/nurses/care workers world wide?  What will it take then?  

19 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

So you're not trusting any of the people in this thread who have mentioned knowing people who have had or died from Corona, nor the testimony of hundreds of thousands of doctors/nurses/care workers world wide?  What will it take then?  

The virus exists and that's ok, is among hundreds of them. Sadly people will die from this and other diseases and I would like that nobody does of course.

But it's about the context, just pay attention to what kind of decisions are being applied. Nowadays fake information is everywhere, from official mass media to conspiracy theories. That's why I pointed that you need to filter that info and assume your own conclusions, take it as advice.

good vibes to all,

Edited by Diurn

Yeah, but. How the fuck am I supposed to form an opinion about things I don’t know anything about? Fake information and propaganda has been around since way before internet/social media. I’ve always operated on the assumption that I’m lucky enough to live in a country that has a benevolent government and any propaganda they spread is in the public’s interest. I mean that’s beside the fact that it’s reasonably transparant and if you want you can participate and even govern or become a policy maker. 

When I found out my friend had gone well down the rabbit hole I asked him to send me videos and texts that he thought might convince me of his point of view. This was exactly a week ago and I estimate that I’ve spent over 30 hours taking in information, fact checking, trying to debunk the info I think is reliable, checking my fact checking sources, etc. And it’s not one subject, you start in one field and before you know it you’ve crossed medical science, sociology, politics, statistics, history, and the list goes on and on.  
I’ve become slightly more sceptical of some things and my total blind allegiance to vaccines for example has shifted somewhat (I am not an anti vaxxer to be clear but just checking up on info from the cochrane foundation, the contentious events around the h1n1 flue virus vaccine in Europe should make you scratch your head). 
But none of this information has enabled me to go along with the wild conclusions that certain groups/people are drawing. I’ve become slightly more convinced of my own crackpot theory that besides idiot citizens certain outside agents are fuelling the fire of misinformation and hoping to create further division. 
TBH I’m somewhat drained after spending all this time trying to inform myself and I’m still a total layman on any of these subjects (obviously). How can I be expected to inform myself to the extent where it becomes reasonable to go along with outrageous claims made by parties that are the least transparent and seem to attract the most dodgy people? And then what? Do I give up my life and try to overthrow my government? Even though as far as I can tell it’s against my personal interest to do so  and there are no indications that will change any time soon?
And when I do I’m supposed to trust the people that right now have their views supported by demagogues and populists? They’ll make things right after causing chaos? 

I’ve decided a line for myself; when my government makes vaccination against COVID-19 mandatory (or any other virus/disease) I will protest. This invades on basic human rights. Until then I’d rather support the government that is working towards offering me a choice. 

My sincere apologies for this long, rambling and inelegantly worded post. 
If anyone sees a huge logical fallacy in my reasoning feel free to pm me or whatever. Might block you if you’re a crackpot though. 

Edited by user
  • Like 3

Insufferable smug pigs in your comfortable little bubbles, intellectualising madness, doing your duty to back up the system in condemning untold lives, old and young, to misery, isolation and neglect.

For shame.

3 hours ago, drome said:

Insufferable smug pigs in your comfortable little bubbles, intellectualising madness, doing your duty to back up the system in condemning untold lives, old and young, to misery, isolation and neglect.

For shame.

Is everything okay with you? You seem a bit unsettled generally and keep mentioning the effect this is having on peoples mental health, so I can only assume you're going through a bit of a rough time. If you're struggling it's better to talk to people IRL than losing your rag with people online. Happy to talk over PM or whatever if needs be.

• Like 2

personally, I don't understand all the push back toward masks and lockdowns. I mean I'm willing to sacrifice my individual beliefs for the sake of those around me. most people in the US/Europe aren't used to putting their community ahead of themselves, as opposed to in Asian countries - where mask wearing, not going out in public if you're sick, etc. are cultural norms (individualism vs. collectivism). I really do hope that this pandemic results in a permanent shift in people's behavior, which could benefit the health of all those around you.

but then again, what do I know. I'm just a psuedo-intellectual holed up in my bubble, obeying the rules and spouting nonsense on an electronic music forum.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, zero said:

I don't understand all the push back toward masks and lockdowns. I mean I'm willing to sacrifice my individual beliefs for the sake of those around me. most people in the US/Europe aren't used to putting their community ahead of themselves, as opposed to in Asian countries

Sounds like you understand it pretty well, even if you can't directly relate to it.

This virus is like Thinking Collectively 101, and for the most part, we Westerners are failing hard. Very unfortunate since mitigating climate change is going to require the same collective mindset, but to a much more advanced degree.

• Like 5

can you imagine if there were a real pandemic, and huge amounts of people were dying, and unscrupulous individuals, including those in positions of power and influence, continuously misled the public into distrusting health experts and guidance on safety measures? while profitting? and it worked, leading huge portions of populations to believe that appropriate protocols were villainous? and that genuine public servants who just worked hard their whole lives and tried to do the right thing were villains? that would be insane, and deeply contemptible. and it would be so unfortunate to see people falling for it, and, worse, SHARING the venom to their own circles.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Burger 2