IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

Luke Letlow was to have been sworn in Sunday.

Rep.-elect Luke Letlow (R-La.) has died from coronavirus, multiple sources confirmed Tuesday evening. He was 41.

Letlow, who announced on Dec. 18 that he tested positive for Covid-19, had been in the intensive care unit at Ochsner LSU Health in Shreveport.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/29/luke-letlow-covid-congress-452218

19 minutes ago, drome said:

Depressingly it doesn't really surprise me that there are reggae artists that are covid conspiracy theorists, but fuck these assholes.:facepalm:

3 hours ago, drome said:

Truesounds, fakenews.

The more I see, the more I get the impression that there really is a connection between ganja and paranoia/conspiracy theories. Proceed with caution.

2 hours ago, dingformung said:

Yes, it is used as a treatment against paranoia and other psychoses.

It also causes paranoia and psychoses. Or at the very least causes latent paranoia and psychosis to manifest.

?‍♂️

• Thanks 1

https://www.nursingworld.org/news/news-releases/2020/new-survey-of-13k-u.s.-nurses-findings-indicate-urgent-need-to-educate-nurses-about-covid-19-vaccines/

Silver Spring, MD — New findings released today indicate an urgent need to provide nurses and all health care professionals consistent information and include them in the vaccine development process, according to a survey of nearly 13,000 nurses conducted by the American Nurses Foundation (the Foundation)—the philanthropic arm of the American Nurses Association (ANA).

Nearly half (44%) of nurses say they are not comfortable having conversations with their patients about COVID-19 vaccines, yet 65% said that they have provided direct care to patients with a known or suspected case of COVID-19 since February. When asked if they would voluntarily be vaccinated against COVID-19, nurses’ responses were almost evenly split with approximately one third saying “yes” (34%), one third, “no” (36%) and one third (31%) unsure. These findings appear to reflect the current dearth of information presently available.

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2020/12/30/60-of-ohio-nursing-home-workers-refuse-vaccine/

Gov. Mike DeWine on Wednesday said that a whopping 60% of nursing home workers who have been offered the vaccine have refused it. 

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

We could call it the English Plague but then none of us would know which one we're referring to.

You mean Covid or Boris Johnson? Yeah, that could be a bit confusing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ignatius said:

this shit is depressing. 

I do not understand why she has air quotes when she says low risk talking about the threat to young people? I read before that for people 18 years old and younger have a one in a million chance of being killed by coronavirus.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:38 PM, ignatius said:

this virus is some weird shit. 

just heard an NPR interview with a woman who had covid. took 9 months after testing negative for her headaches and stomach issues to go away. her young son also had covid and was asymptomatic. Then one day watching TV one of his aadult front teeth fell out without blood or pain. apparently due to undetected vascular damage from covid. 

This is why I'm cautious. It's not just the flu. We don't know enough about it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bupkis said:

I do not understand why she has air quotes when she says low risk talking about the threat to young people? I read before that for people 18 years old and younger have a one in a million chance of being killed by coronavirus.

There are still young people that have immunodefficiency diseases and even if they don't, they can still die from it. Also, they spread it around more. Lower risk to themselves maybe but not the olds around them.

57 minutes ago, Braintree said:

There are still young people that have immunodefficiency diseases and even if they don't, they can still die from it. Also, they spread it around more. Lower risk to themselves maybe but not the olds around them.

Ok I understand, thank you for your reply. That video just struck me as odd because the woman did not mention anything about young people spreading it to old and she made it seem like young people were going to somehow get the virus and go into cardiac arrest or something. I also checked the comments on that tweet from the doctor that she mentions and a few people commented that this thing she was so worried about OOH arrests was actually standard protocal in that region from way before the pandemic and the doctor also replied saying it was not his area of expertise.

I have been trying to understand the coronavirus and all the policies to help fight it recently and it is very difficult because so many people seem to focus on the political side and confuse info about the public health side of it.

more reports of frontline workers refusing vaccination

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-12-31/healthcare-workers-refuse-covid-19-vaccine-access

They are frontline workers with top-priority access to the COVID-19 vaccine, but they are refusing to take it.

At St. Elizabeth Community Hospital in Tehama County, fewer than half of the 700 hospital workers eligible for the vaccine were willing to take the shot when it was first offered. At Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills, one in five frontline nurses and doctors have declined the shot. Roughly 20% to 40% of L.A. County’s frontline workers who were offered the vaccine did the same, according to county public health officials.

some hospitals begin offering monetary incentives to be vaccinated

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/gracedale-staff-to-be-offered-750-to-get-covid-19-vaccine/article_30f97fa8-40bc-11eb-98ce-d740a5e5cd15.html

EASTON, Pa. – Northampton County will offer staff members of Gracedale, the county nursing home, $750 each to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

That could cost as much as $490,000 if all 650 employees get the shot. The payment is an incentive. County Executive Lamont McClure said employees cannot be required to get the shots.

ImageImage

wasn't sure if the mutant strain was a media thing or what. zeynep is someone to take seriously

I dismissed the news initially because viruses mutate all the time and there have been too many baseless “mutant-ninja virus” doomsaying headlines this year. The exaggerated, clickbaity alarmism makes it harder to discern real threats from sensationalism. Given the constant reality of mutation, genomic variants should be considered innocent until proved guilty. Even an increase in the proportion of cases attributable to a particular variant is not definitive proof of an evolutionary advantage.

However, as data on the new variant roll in, there is cause for real concern. Trevor Bedford, a scientist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and a board member for the Covid Tracking Project at The Atlantic, points out that infections from the new variant are increasing very rapidly among the population in the U.K. Bedford also notes that this new variant seems to have a higher secondary-attack rate—meaning the number of people subsequently infected by a known case—compared with “regular” COVID-19.  Finally, the new variant seems to result in higher viral loads (though this is harder to be sure about as viral loads can be affected by sampling bias and timing). As Kucharski told me, all of this does not rule out other explanations. This increased transmission could be due to chance or founder effects—meaning one variant just happened to get somewhere before the other variants and then got “lucky”; it was early, rather than more transmissible. It could be due to changed behavior among people—quarantine fatigue, less masking—leading to more rapid spread. However, given the current evidence, along with the specifics of the mutation, it’s getting harder to assume that those other explanations are more likely than the simple proposition that this is truly a more transmissible variant.

So how much more transmissible? We aren’t completely sure yet, but the initial estimates from the data suggest that this variant could be about 50 to 70 percent more transmissible than regular COVID-19. To make matters thornier, we aren’t yet exactly sure why it’s more transmissible, though reasonable theories are already being tested. This variant, now called B.1.1.7, has “an unusually large number of genetic changes, particularly in the spike protein,” which is how the virus gains entry into our cells. The new variant may be better at eluding our immune response and replicating, or be able to better bind to locations in our body more conducive to infecting others, but that is all speculative for the moment.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/12/virus-mutation-catastrophe/617531/

one thing that made covid-19 not too bad was that it didn't spread super easily. without preventative measures employed, it seemed that the average infected person spread it to 2 to 3 other people. increasing that basic reproduction number by 50% (or more), we have a basic reproduction number around 4. 

reproduction number of 1 is linear, anything above 1 is exponential. the difference between 2 to 3 and 3 to 4.5 is significant. 

for the america crowd:

Spoiler

Edited by very honest
  • Facepalm 2