IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

We're finally getting a mass vaccination site in SF: https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/moscone-center-becomes-bay-area-mass-covid-vaccination-site/

Both my parents have gotten their first shot. It's good to see some actual progress being made.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Braintree said:

We're finally getting a mass vaccination site in SF: https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/moscone-center-becomes-bay-area-mass-covid-vaccination-site/

Both my parents have gotten their first shot. It's good to see some actual progress being made.

In my neighborhood, there is a school doing vaccinations, but only the 2nd shot with an appointment. And from the looks of the people I pass, a lot are still turned away after arranging to get there on time. Trump wasted an entire fucking year that could have set up a viable national distribution chain. I hope he burns in Hell.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Lightening the burden on the US Social Security system, one antimasker at a time. At this point I say let it burn their community out. The store wouldn’t stay in business if it didn’t have customers and the market is speaking. 

5 hours ago, hijexx said:

Lightening the burden on the US Social Security system, one antimasker at a time. At this point I say let it burn their community out. The store wouldn’t stay in business if it didn’t have customers and the market is speaking. 

Meanwhile, each person that dies from covid infects 3-5 other people who may think masks work.

On 2/4/2021 at 1:06 PM, Rubin Farr said:

lol the comments under that video are both hilarious and infuriating.

in other news, US is up to 1.5 million doses given each day

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

seems like this thing is really starting to take off. covid cases and deaths seem to be dropping like a rock.

probably a combo of vaccines + "covid season" (or w/e) coming to an end...

Edited by mister miller

My mom is getting vaccinated right now, I've been getting photos and updates. Pretty terribly conceived, literally thousands of people crammed into a hotel lobby, she's been there almost two hours at this point, obviously being done as cheaply as possible with minimal oversight (and probably a healthy payout to the hotel), and now the next few weeks will be waiting to see if she was infected while getting the vaccine, which is doubly concerning because my father is immunocompromised.  Just disgusting. Not surprising, but disgusting.

On 2/7/2021 at 5:19 PM, mister miller said:

in other news, US is up to 1.5 million doses given each day

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

seems like this thing is really starting to take off. covid cases and deaths seem to be dropping like a rock.

probably a combo of vaccines + "covid season" (or w/e) coming to an end...

Not likely.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-failure-to-provide-vaccines-to-poorer-countries-is-another-example-of/

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the guy who lives in the apartment next to mine got diagnosed, making him the second person I've known personally irl to officially have covid since it started back in march.

"code red" still ongoing in Montreal. Apparently movie theatres & pools are opening specifically for March Break, but you still can't go out after 8PM, gyms/restaurants/etc are all still closed. i think the next re-assessment is after March Break, fingers crossed that gains are back on the menu soon

It's warm enough that I can easily motivate myself to go jogging in the morning again, so that's nice. During the deepst part of the winter my only form of exercise was yoga, and while it's nice to be able to wrap my leg over my shoulder like a backpack strap, at a certain point you just start to feel like you're getting a little too loose

My coworker tested positive mid-week this week.  He's the only person I've actually interacted with at work, and I interacted with him (through masks) for about 15 total minutes the Friday before he tested positive.  I feel fine, and it's been 9 days since contact, which was before he exhibited symptoms.

He had a fever for 2 days, feels flu-like muscle aches now, and says he has sharp kidney pain.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

Doesn't help that Trump's racist leftovers are scapegoating Asian-Americans over this either.

more than just scapegoating.. hate crimes against asians exploded last year and that trend continues. it's fucking scary dumb frustrating and crazy. 

• Sad 1
  • Farnsworth 1

9 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

... During the deepst part of the winter my only form of exercise was yoga, and while it's nice to be able to wrap my leg over my shoulder like a backpack strap, at a certain point you just start to feel like you're getting a little too loose

This post had absolutely no business being that provocative.

I came’d.   

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1

21 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

"code red" still ongoing in Montreal. Apparently movie theatres & pools are opening specifically for March Break, but you still can't go out after 8PM, gyms/restaurants/etc are all still closed. i think the next re-assessment is after March Break, fingers crossed that gains are back on the menu soon

Did they not delay March break in Quebec? 
It’s been delayed here in Ontario, until April sometime. Presumably in the hopes of preventing another colossal fuckup like what happened post Xmas. 

In Helsinki number of cases is rapidly rising but we're still pretty low compared to most of Europe and North America. Worryingly though 75% of cases are of the British variant. Bars, restaurants, etc still open until 10pm but let's see for how long.

1 minute ago, marf said:

Isn't the vaccinations kind of meaningless with all these variants going around? Might help a little. This thing is mutating faster than they can vaccinate

New variants and even vaccine resistant variants are expected in the vaccination program. The vaccinations will actually push the evolutionary selection for the virus. But new vaccines are now easy to develop for the variants and it's relatively quick to change the production lines. There are probably going to be yearly or bi-yearly vaccinations for the next few years for new variants like we have for the influenza. Influenza actually mutates much faster than corona viruses so it might be not that bad.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Did they not delay March break in Quebec?

Seems to be on schedule for the first week of March. All the movie theatres etc are being opened back up for the children, which imo is another example of the ridiculous handling of the lockdown procedure (along with keeping schools open while shutting down basically everything else for months & months). I feel like there's a strong likelihood that cases will go back up as a result of this, and that will be justification for keeping all of these measures in place even longer.

It's been kind of wild to watch the public opinion shift since the early fall. I feel like most people (who weren't covid conspiracy theorist or anti-government types more generally) were all onboard the "we're in this together!" train prior to the second lockdown starting in October. But the handling of this second lockdown has been widely seen as extremely incompetent. The idea of 8PM curfew being maintained once it's no longer dark at 8PM (so let's say another couple months) seems to be what a lot of people are pointing to as their ultimate breaking point.

tbh it's depressing going on the montreal reddit page & gradually seeing more & more randos talking about how they feel like their life has completely stalled, how their marriage is falling apart, how they've developed a substance dependency or have gotten extremely out of shape. I've got to count my blessings here - sure I'm a little pissy about not being able to lift weights, but in most ways my mental health is more stable than its ever been, and in some areas of my life (reading, making music) I've been really thriving this last year.

Edited by Cryptowen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

Seems to be on schedule for the first week of March. All the movie theatres etc are being opened back up for the children, which imo is another example of the ridiculous handling of the lockdown procedure (along with keeping schools open while shutting down basically everything else for months & months).

Yes it’s a little weird to open up the theatres for the kids. The elementary schools here in Ottawa have generally shown that they are not vectors for transmissions, and I don’t believe my kid’s school has had a single case (can’t speak for other schools). The HS kids have been largely virtual but there have been more cases for sure there. It’s a real catch-22, because you can see the impact lockdown has on the young kids. It’s dramatic. They need and thrive on that social interaction that simply can’t be replicated even virtually (we did that for 2 months, and while my kid’s teachers were heroic in their efforts, you could see the kids were really starting to lose it towards the end of the second month). 

I suppose it largely depends on the area one lives in and the reliability and honesty of people when self-reporting. We’ve kept ours home twice for sniffles, two weeks each time with negative tests. Really tough for her (she’s very extroverted), but she tried her best to understand the situation. 

I think it’s likely going to be a series of smaller and smaller clusterfucks until the vaccines have been delivered fully. Then we’ll have to learn to live with it like we do the flu, but with more stringent precautions and more work from home (which I love).

half million dead in the states in less than 12 months. 

leading causes of death in the US are usually cancer and heart disease, each around a half million per year.

here's trump saying masks give you covid

Edited by very honest