On 3/8/2021 at 5:20 PM, toaoaoad said:

This really freaks me out. People talk about "when this is over" but we could be very, very far from it with shit like this

the 'variants' are mostly just fear mongering at this point. are they real? yes. are they going to extend the pandemic into next year? no.

florida has the highest percentage of cases of B117 variant, and is one of the least restricted states, and their numbers are dropping just as much as every other state for months now.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well after 7 days in a row treating 40-odd patients daily without any available PPE I unsurprisingly came down with coronavirus symptoms on Monday. All feels a bit weird at home as my wife (who also

grandpa in the ICU .. doctors giving him a 50/50 chance. oof. miserable.

Thanks Jules!

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, mister miller said:

the 'variants' are mostly just fear mongering at this point. are they real? yes. are they going to extend the pandemic into next year? no.

florida has the highest percentage of cases of B117 variant, and is one of the least restricted states, and their numbers are dropping just as much as every other state for months now.

the reduction in infections has apparently plateaued in many places. it's spring break so florida will be packed w/kids for better or worse for like a month.  we'll see how it goes. spring break is not exactly a time when people make good decisions. miami's mayor has already said in the press "please don't come and if you do wear a mask and be responsible".. ha. good luck. 

the vaccine is having big impact though. no doubt. and the USA is vaccinating millions of people every day now so that's really good. i haven't checked the number of daily deaths in a while. last i looked it was still about 1500 a day. 

I'm finally eligible for a vaccine and can't set up an appointment.

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

I'm finally eligible for a vaccine and can't set up an appointment.

i'll be eligible in a week or so. 

• Like 1

got the 1st dose of the pfizer vaccine yesterday at a local pharmacy. arm is sore. for a bout 3 hours after the jab i had that "head cold and on a plane" type feeling. minor body aches and a bit of drowsiness. but after about 3 hours i felt fine.  

2nd dose is 4 weeks. 

cancer made me eligible. they have a form to sign and a list of things and you check the one that makes you eligible.. even though i went through all that prior to making the appointment. i guess they double down on it for whatever reason. 

didn't take long at all. appointments were well spaced and people were steadily checking in for their appointment while i was there. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

For some reason covid-19 infections and hospital admissions are slowly rising again in Belgium...
Recently, both my uncle and his wife have been admitted in hospital for covid-19.
Their age could be a bit of a risk. I hope they'll get better.
My gf is/was really looking forward to being allowed to go to work again in the month of May.
(she's a waitress in bar for beer enthusiasts)
But if the numbers keep rising I can't imagine the government will allow bars to open again in May.

• Sad 2

Time is an illusion at this point.

I guess the worst part is getting your hopes up that the thing is over in a few months and then it just keeps continuing or gets worse. But there's not much else to do than wait and come up with some distractions meanwhile and for example not check the daily case numbers every day.

21 minutes ago, dingformung said:

I hope they introduce the Covid vaccination certificate / immunisation card so you can travel when you're vaccinated, like they have in Israel.

https://corona.health.gov.il/en/directives/vaccination-certificate/

Yes lets discriminate non desired colectives like germans did 80 years ago. You're loosing your mind on this and I hope that you find the right path.

Edited by Diurn
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

What about people in wheelchairs? It's kinda unfair that they have to sit all the time while all the others can walk. We should make walking illegal so it's more fair.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Diurn said:

Yes lets discriminate non desired colectives like germans did 80 years ago.

Or ironically "the jews" right now for that matter... srsly, that's a strange idea of discrimination.

Edit: In fact i'm afraid this won't happen in Germany at all thanks to good old "Deutsche Neidkultur".

Edited by jaderpansen
6 minutes ago, dingformung said:

„Dutch night culture“ - nightlife in the Netherlands is really good

:emotawesomepm9:

Well, it was... and it could be again, thanks to vaxx-certificates (among other things). "and thus the circle closes".

• Burger 1
2 hours ago, Diurn said:

Yes lets discriminate non desired colectives like germans did 80 years ago. You're loosing your mind on this and I hope that you find the right path.

Can I ask you a question? Out of pure curiosity.

Have you ever been to one of those summer festivals where you can buy different kinds of tickets with different kinds of access to whatever is happening at said festival?

If you've ever been at one of those, odds are you got some kind of bracelet with some bright color which you were forced to show to gain access to certain areas. If you have, did you tell the people organising the festival they're a bunch of racist nazis as well? If you haven't, please move on and rethink your sins.

Got my first jab! There is almost no one @ this vax site, there’s like 10 times as many medical workers and National Guard as there is patients. Fucking Florida.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Got my first jab! There is almost no one @ this vax site, there’s like 10 times as many medical workers and National Guard as there is patients. Fucking Florida.

which one did u get?

44 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Is this because people do not want the Vaxx, or invites / requests are not getting out to people?

19 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

Is this because people do not want the Vaxx, or invites / requests are not getting out to people?

I bet some of both, there does seem to be sizable populations here that are conspiracy minded, cultural differences, etc. Also a whole lot of stupid.

On 3/15/2021 at 2:57 PM, mister miller said:

variants are not fear-mongering. the fear is from a variety of fronts - the risk of one that spreads more quickly, and kills more people. you can't predict where and when those more deadly variants appear. vaccination is an attempt to lower opportunities to generate variants; until you get through most of the world's population with vaccines, you're at least risking being back at square one all the time. remember, many countries won't even begin vaccination until next year, and some the year after that. 

every pocket of unvaccinated population across the world is generating new variants, and the lowered chances of vaccinated populations generating variants still also runs the risk too as people travel and drop their guard. when you realise there are billions of people on the planet, the number of variants now and in the future is huge; i think we're into many thousands identified already. even once vaccinated, you are (of course) at risk of it failing to deal with what you can catch. watch fauci make this pretty clear this week to rand paul - you don't catch it or vaccinate against it and solve it one individual at a time but collectively and in an ongoing battle rather than one that ends. you are facing something evolving to deal with being battled against and avoided, not passed around. 

for those that receive a flu vaccine each year, you might realise the relevant issues a little more clearly : it's an adjusted vaccine that's issued periodically, to deal with a selection of current prevalent / dominant / most dangerous variants that's described as being one condition under an umbrella term. i've already seen elderly folk here in england doing what i read usually happens with vaccinations that are required for large populations : they relax and think they don't need to be worried any more. problem is, variant appear without you or anyone necessarily knowing they're there and you can still carry a virus (and spread it) even when your chances of becoming seriously ill from them might be dramatically reduced by the current version of the vaccine you've received.

Edited by logboy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1