IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

Genuinely curious, do you guys in the USA actually have a choice of vaccine brand? We very emphatically do not. 

I was able to find all 3 readily available in my area. there was a longer wait to book appointments for the 2 jabbers, maybe like a few days to a week before you could get the 1st shot. there were a ton of slots available for the JnJ, some as soon as next day. 

BTW I'm on team Pfizer as well, seems like the jackpot from all I've heard so far... "so far" being key. My parents got their shots yesterday and both received Moderna. I'm grateful for that. They live in a remote community that gets flooded with tourists, and I don't see them often, so this is a bit of a relief. 

Same and same. 

• Like 1

I got the J&J vaccine last week, and it did make me feel like a flu (or hangover) the next day, but it was fine. The blood clot thing has affected six people in the states (all women, but that's a tiny sample size and seems like we shouldn't rule out the possibility of men having the same side effect)... out of 7.2 million. That's, uh, still pretty good odds. Covid's taken over half a million lives, so I'll roll the dice here.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 7:24 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

I got my second shot on Wednesday and I’m feeling fine. Sore arm and a bit groggy the next day but that’s it.  Anyone who has the opportunity to get the vaccine and doesn’t take it is a complete idiot. That’s not my opinion, it’s just how it is.

I work in public transportation and you’d (maybe) be surprised at how many of my co workers don’t want it. I live in an area where things are trending in the wrong direction - again. Variants popping up locally... Hospitalizations for Covid locally are at an all time high. It was such a minor inconvenience to deal with feeling like ass for part of a day (I have moderna). I took the day off. 

• Like 1

My wife's getting her first Pfizer shot on Saturday : she's due late June so she's eligible for vaccination. I have no clue when I'll be though.

Edited by Nil

Staff members in all four fast food takeaway places in my neighbourhood wear their masks under the nose all the time. Both the people preparing the food and the people facing the customers do this. I'm not sure if this is illegal or not but it's definitely stupid

• Burger 1

2 hours ago, Upset man said:
19 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Genuinely curious, do you guys in the USA actually have a choice of vaccine brand? We very emphatically do not. 

No

where i am you can pick and choose where and when you want to get stuck (all adults 18+ are eligible now for almost a month i think), and i think you can find out which brand each place is using beforehand...not 100% sure here, don't know that i saw any mentioning the J & J 1-shot before i got my first shot a few weeks ago...maybe just wasn't readily available? i wasn't 'looking' for it or any one in particular tho

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Upset man said:

I just hope these vaccines are good against the inevitable variant wave that’s gonna fuck a lot more shit up.  Ugh.

In a nutshell, the mRNA vaccines tell your immune system to grow spikes on the T cells to stick to coronavirus cells and then dispose of them. The spikes are partly what makes the virus effective, so as long as that particular thing doesn't drastically mutate, it should also work on any variant.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ghsotword said:

Staff members in all four fast food takeaway places in my neighbourhood wear their masks under the nose all the time. Both the people preparing the food and the people facing the customers do this. I'm not sure if this is illegal or not but it's definitely stupid

i mean knowing fast food kitchens i wouldn't be surprised if they took the masks off entirely when no customers are around

Spoiler

and hundo p someone's had sex on most of the surfaces of the average fast food restaurant if it's been running long enough, but that's just par for the course

Edited by Cryptowen
  • Burger 2

eternal contrarian that i am, i feel like i've gotten more on board with the most recent mtl lockdown as the general public seems to be increasingly at odds with it. people mad at government officials for erring on the side of caution (yes, even perhaps excessive caution which will result in all sorts of negative side effects for small business & mental health) have no idea what it feels like to be the ones tasked with making that call - knowing that, in the (perhaps very slim) chance that you don't take precautions & things go horribly wrong, you'll be held directly responsible for all those deaths. As it is, they're going to be held responsible for every depression suicide, every business going under, every marriage falling apart, etc

I guess it isn't even a matter of me thinking lockdowns are a good idea, i just appreciate that the government is people too & this is a shitty position to be thrown into

Edited by Cryptowen
  • Like 3
  • Big Brain 1

For 

I'd love it if we could just shut down the ferries for a few weeks tbh. I know that would never happen tho and would create various other problems. But damn. The island is blowin up now and it obviously didn't start here... :trashbear:

For sure, just let us isolate.

The worst thing by far aboot this pandemic thang has been the no traveling deal. Pullin up anchor and headin out into el mundo somewhere, even for just a long weekend, is a high positivity boost and one that a guy can ride out the rest of the year on. Restrictiones, together with hopes of adventure hols, seem to be a gradually liftin i.e Good Thangs ahead. 

• Facepalm 1

20 hours ago, Braintree said:

In a nutshell, the mRNA vaccines tell your immune system to grow spikes on the T cells to stick to coronavirus cells and then dispose of them. The spikes are partly what makes the virus effective, so as long as that particular thing doesn't drastically mutate, it should also work on any variant.

Hopefully they can be retooled for any new variants, although the South African strain seems to be able to evade the Pfizer vaccine in some cases:

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210412/south-african-variant-can-break-through-pfizer-protection

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.06.21254882v1

4 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

The worst thing by far aboot this pandemic thang has been the no traveling deal. Pullin up anchor and headin out into el mundo somewhere, even for just a long weekend, is a high positivity boost and one that a guy can ride out the rest of the year on. Restrictiones, together with hopes of adventure hols, seem to be a gradually liftin i.e Good Thangs ahead. 

That's for me also. I don't really give a crap about going to concerts, clubs, bars, restaurants, festivals, etc and I actually prefer working remotely but the travel ban is what really fucking hit me. But I realize this is just my personal experience.

The silver lining is that I've saved quite a lot of money to travel later so just need to bide my time..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Hopefully they can be retooled for any new variants, although the South African strain seems to be able to evade the Pfizer vaccine in some cases:

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210412/south-african-variant-can-break-through-pfizer-protection

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.06.21254882v1

400 people is actually a really small portion of the population, so I'm curious to see more data as it develops. It also says at the bottom of the article:

Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Monday that breakthrough infections will always happen.

"We see this with all vaccines, in clinical trials and in the real world. No vaccine is 100% efficacious or effective, which means that we will always see breakthrough infections, regardlessof the efficacy of the vaccine," Fauci said during a virtual White House briefing on Monday, according to The Hill.

He said a vaccine has value because it will protect against serious disease, even if a virus breaks through the vaccine’s protection. He gave influenza as an example.

Speaking directly to the Israeli study, Fauci said it was misleading and makes it sound like people who get two doses of the Pfizer vaccine have a higher chance of COVID infection than unvaccinated people.

Fauci if an infection does break through the protection offered by a vaccine, it will likely be the "more difficult variant," but "that doesn't mean you have a greater chance of getting it," the Hill said.

• Like 1

got my 2nd dose of pfizer today. didn't hit me like th efirst dose did. was way easier. i felt fine and left after 10 minutes of waiting. 1st dose made me a little weird feeling for about 3 hours. 

so, nice to have to have the full spec. takes 2 weeks or so after 2nd dose to be fully vaccinated. i'm sure the notifications bill gates turned on in my 5g blood will let me know. so convenient!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1