IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

1 hour ago, ghsotword said:

I would also say that yes, many people are unaware. A large proportion of people are dumbasses who are in denial about the pandemic, or still haven't understood the basics of how the virus is transmitted and how to prevent its spread

Yes, as soon as others see you not wearing a mask, bc you’re vaccinated, they’ll think it’s back to normal and “fuck masks”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghsotword said:

I would also say that yes, many people are unaware. A large proportion of people are dumbasses who are in denial about the pandemic, or still haven't understood the basics of how the virus is transmitted and how to prevent its spread

Insulting people with valid concerns is for the weak minded.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes, as soon as others see you not wearing a mask, bc you’re vaccinated, they’ll think it’s back to normal and “fuck masks”.
quite a stretch to claim this, but whatever - so by what metric will things actually be "normal" in your opinion? zero covid? it seems many of you never want to return to what we used to think of as normal. i don't understand why but too many of you appear to be revelling in all the restrictions and want to keep lockdowns, masks etc ad infinitum.

13 minutes ago, BCM said:

it seems many of you never want to return to what we used to think of as normal. i don't understand why but too many of you appear to be revelling in all the restrictions and want to keep lockdowns, masks etc ad infinitum.

Anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, COVID deniers and too early releases of lockdowns increase the spread of the virus and make the return to normal take much longer than it otherwise would

• Like 3

what the cdc is saying, and in the news conference they sited 3 different papers, was that the evidence is that if you are fully vaccinated you are unlikely to get covid, almost 100% unlikely to need to go to the hospital from covid and you won’t transmit covid if you happen to catch it. this basically means that if you are vaccinated, you are good to go regardless of what other people are doing. there are exceptions here obviously, immune compromised people should consult a  doctor etc.

i have been as locked down as possible the past year. i work from home and outside of biking have just left the house (at 6:30 am) to get groceries. i bike with a mask on. however,  this news, along with cases and deaths dropping in the US, is exactly the news i’ve been waiting for. once i’m 2 weeks into my 2nd dose, i’m done.  sometimes you gotta just jump in the deep end of the pool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCM said:
1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

quite a stretch to claim this, but whatever - so by what metric will things actually be "normal" in your opinion? zero covid? it seems many of you never want to return to what we used to think of as normal. i don't understand why but too many of you appear to be revelling in all the restrictions and want to keep lockdowns, masks etc ad infinitum.

Everyone wants to reach herd immunity in their region, but we as humans imitate each other, both consciously and unconsciously. If the majority of the population appears to be not wearing masks, whether that is true or a perceived truth, it might motivate the minority to either unmask, or not get vaccinated. The CDC and Biden saying this will motivate the unvaccinated to get jabbed, I believe is naive. If a few more months of restrictions helps avoid another wave in the Fall or Winter, then I’m all for it, and I wish other countries would take a long term approach. I mean, how many fucking waves will it take for us to get the message? Humanity will have its hands full trying to eradicate mutant variants, possibly for years or decades I’m afraid.

*this all hinges on where you live, as the demographics in the US are vastly different by region, and that really dictates how people in your area behave/react.

• Like 1

here in france, the vast majority of people don't give 2 fucks about covid. not because they've been vaccinated, they haven't, as vaccines are reserved to the most vulnerable. nobody practices social distancing. you'll see people touching their lips right after having touched a public door handle. in villages, nobody wears a mask on top of that (except when they enter a store for example). it's very much like there isn't a pandemic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

Everyone wants to reach herd immunity in their region, but we as humans imitate each other, both consciously and unconsciously. If the majority of the population appears to be not wearing masks, whether that is true or a perceived truth, it might motivate the minority to either unmask, or not get vaccinated. The CDC and Biden saying this will motivate the unvaccinated to get jabbed, I believe is naive. If a few more months of restrictions helps avoid another wave in the Fall or Winter, then I’m all for it, and I wish other countries would take a long term approach. I mean, how many fucking waves will it take for us to get the message? Humanity will have its hands full trying to eradicate mutant variants, possibly for years or decades I’m afraid.

*this all hinges on where you live, as the demographics in the US are vastly different by region, and that really dictates how people in your area behave/react.

The goal is to reach herd immunity through vaccinations, which is the strongest scientifically based approach to save lives. And since there is no shortage of vaccine availability (at least in here in WA state and other states of friends I've talked to), i think the approach is solid: loosen restrictions, continue to vaccinate at breakneck pace, and make sure the vaccine is available to everyone who wants it. That last point is key because it gives the power to each person. If someone chooses to not get vaccinated then it's on them to continue to use mask and social distancing. What makes you think this is a naive strategy?

5 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

This new CDC mask guideline is incredibly stupid, it will confuse the public that already doesn’t want to wear masks, make a lot of people think no one has to wear a mask at all anywhere anymore, make those anti-maskers say see? these were worthless the whole time, and some Americans will just lie and say they’ve been vaccinated. I really hope we have enough vaccinated so far to counter this, and hope we don’t see a more aggressive mutation take hold in the US. ? 

its fucking hilarious that they did this. it makes absolutely no sense for the reasons you listed. carte blanche to not get vaccinated and not to wear a mask. numbers will probably go up. I can barely even care anymore tho, im vaxxed, with headaches and am unable to achieve tumescence. the bill gates nanobots are giving me gigantic manboobs and snl is really funny now. just picked up a few funkopops, gonna crack op a fetid haze triple ipa later and watch the new marvel show for babies. loving life after the fauci ouchie!

• Like 4

I'm still baffled that after all these months we still don't want to see the fact that YOU CANNOT let this virus let on the loose and hope chance is gonna be on your side.

The countries that succeeded into containing it have taken a Covid Zero approach not a ''eh just a few hundred hundred/thousand cases,good enough lets go back to normal now'' approach.

The virus is underestimated again and again and again.

• Like 5

i'll be wearing a mask indoors for a long time. my health situation is such that my immune system could be run down some at any given time so getting covid would be too much of a risk. also, w/all the weird complications and possibility of long haul covid.. yeah.. fuck that. 

outside, around other vaccinated people i'm feeling pretty good/safe about that scenario. we def need to get to herd immunity and i hope the vaccine rollout continues w/all the outreach and visibility that's happening w/free rides, gifts, promotional things etc.. to get people to get the jabs. 

• Like 2

Finland has currently 36 % coverage for first dose, if the vaccination velocity is maintained, 70 % will be reached 2nd of August. The problem is that the weather's been uncharacteristically nice, and here in Helsinki the city parks have been filling up daily with non-masked non-distancing people, some with 500+ people in very close proximity to each other. The police have been emptying the parks daily, and people have just left all of their trash in the parks, so it's been a daily sorry scene. Most people in the parks are younger, under-30 crowd, whose vaccinations are still weeks, if not months away. The vaccines are making headway and the amount of daily/weekly infections is declining, but I fear there will be setbacks and the vaccination velocity won't be maintained. Summer is coming, and people stop caring.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am personally minded this is gonna last for at least 4 years and im gonna wear the mask for at least 4 years.It was the original assessment by WHO on the length of the pandemic.Seems to be reasonable still to this day.

People are told way too quickly that this is gonna be over soon.Look at fucking Peru, India.Shit aint over anytime soon.

As long as the virus is on the loose in other countries, it can and will mutate and that can yield extremely unpredictable results.It's only been since december 2019 and it has already mutated into variants that are more aggressive and contagious.

The vaccines seems decently effective against variants and thats good news but damn so much risks are being taken out of lack of patience and a hasty wish to be back to normal.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ignatius said:

i'll be wearing a mask indoors for a long time. my health situation is such that my immune system could be run down some at any given time so getting covid would be too much of a risk. also, w/all the weird complications and possibility of long haul covid.. yeah.. fuck that. 

outside, around other vaccinated people i'm feeling pretty good/safe about that scenario. we def need to get to herd immunity and i hope the vaccine rollout continues w/all the outreach and visibility that's happening w/free rides, gifts, promotional things etc.. to get people to get the jabs. 

or a $5 million lottery

https://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-give-people-million-covid-19-vaccine-lottery/story?id=77656133

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

its fucking hilarious that they did this. it makes absolutely no sense for the reasons you listed. carte blanche to not get vaccinated and not to wear a mask. numbers will probably go up. I can barely even care anymore tho, im vaxxed, with headaches and am unable to achieve tumescence. the bill gates nanobots are giving me gigantic manboobs and snl is really funny now. just picked up a few funkopops, gonna crack op a fetid haze triple ipa later and watch the new marvel show for babies. loving life after the fauci ouchie!

delete this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thefxbip said:

It was the original assessment by WHO on the length of the pandemic.Seems to be reasonable still to this day.

you're confusing dogma for science. science updates its beliefs based on the information at hand. you dont go by an assertion from a year ago. the who also asserted we didnt need masks a year ago. the changes that have been announced are based on the information available about the efficacy of the vaccines available. you have to remember it was a shock when the pfizer vaccine tested at 90%. the expectations at the time were something like 60% would be awesome.

im definitely not going to try to convince someone to not wear a mask.. go for it.  im just saying that based on what ive seen/read here, the indicators are these vaccines are doing exactly what we hoped they would do.

2 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

here in france, the vast majority of people don't give 2 fucks about covid. not because they've been vaccinated, they haven't, as vaccines are reserved to the most vulnerable. nobody practices social distancing. you'll see people touching their lips right after having touched a public door handle. in villages, nobody wears a mask on top of that (except when they enter a store for example). it's very much like there isn't a pandemic. 

sounds a bit like Texas, except the part about vaccines being reserved. here they have been widely available for a minute now and it is incredibly easy to get the shots, none of that months long waiting that I know other countries are dealing with. but large swaths of the population still won't get vaccinated because to them it's a fake virus being propagated by fake news anyway. or they're just too lazy to do it.

most offices here have re-opened, restaurants/bars are busy with people, traffic sucks...it's more or less normal life again. I've had both my jabs and really don't worry about it anymore, tbh.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

you're confusing dogma for science. science updates its beliefs based on the information at hand. you dont go by an assertion from a year ago. the who also asserted we didnt need masks a year ago. the changes that have been announced are based on the information available about the efficacy of the vaccines available. you have to remember it was a shock when the pfizer vaccine tested at 90%. the expectations at the time were something like 60% would be awesome.

im definitely not going to try to convince someone to not wear a mask.. go for it.  im just saying that based on what ive seen/read here, the indicators are these vaccines are doing exactly what we hoped they would do.

Yes but

1- Not everyone (to say the least) is soon to be vaccinated.Some country have almost no access to vaccine.It will take a while.

2-Variants.They will keep pop up in regions with lot's of contamination.

3-Variants in some case may reduce vaccine effectiveness.

4-Saying  to people it's ok to not wear mask this soon seems a bit too much.

This ain't over yet.And by that i mean in a global and not a local perspective.

But eh im not a doctor nor an expert.But from what i'm seeing in Brazil, in India and other countries where it really went down.I prefer to be extra cautious than extra careless.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, thefxbip said:

1- Not everyone (to say the least) is soon to be vaccinated.Some country have almost no access to vaccine.It will take a while.

2-Variants.They will keep pop up in regions with lot's of contamination.

3-Variants in some case may reduce vaccine effectiveness.

4-Saying  to people it's ok to not wear mask this soon seems a bit too much.

1-  im not arguing with that assumption at all.

2/3- the pfizer vaccine is being found to effective against the major covid variants-

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3132905/pfizer-vaccine-stands-well-against-covid-19-variants-qatar-study

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1088

4 - they are saying its ok to not wear a mask if you are fully vaccinated and not immunocompromised. that would be 2.9% of people in india, 7.7% of people in brazil and 36% of people in the US at this moment