Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

On 1/22/2020 at 8:49 PM, BCM said:

so we narrowly avoided kicking off 2020 with world war 3, but now it looks like we have a rather alarming new virus heading our way from a chinese fish market. death toll rising...

BCM, the original fearmongerer.

All heil BCM!

tenor.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nebraska said:

E6XdDNfVIAACZdN?format=png&name=900x900

we need to take to the streets like the french and storm the bastille over this fascism

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-07-15/l-a-county-will-require-masks-indoors-amid-covid-19-surge

Between Dec. 7 and June 7, the unvaccinated accounted for 99.6% of L.A. County’s coronavirus cases, 98.7% of COVID-19 hospitalizations and 99.8% of deaths.

:trashbear:

• Like 2

Right. So now it's the "muh freedom" people that are causing everyone to lose their freedom to go to places without wearing a mask.

Fantastic.

• Like 1

Anyone here living in Canada? It sounds like they may possibly be the first country to achieve herd immunity again the COVID-19 virus 

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Anyone here living in Canada? It sounds like they may possibly be the first country to achieve herd immunity again the COVID-19 virus 

I'm Canadian. What's your source for this?

Also should we be posting in a new thread? A lot of useful information and discourse has been shared in this thread and it would be a real waste to lose all of that because of one person's hissy fit.

myu1keF.png

There is still some chance that the number of new COVID cases per day in the UK will not hit a new all time high before the grand reopening on July 19th

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

the canadian economy seems like it's being held together by ducttape & balsa wood at this point; it'd be pretty bad if they did another lockdown.

my understanding is that it might be more psychological than anything else - apparently companies here are having trouble hiring. it's like people have just lost interest in working. maybe part of it is that it's pretty much impossible to buy a home anymore? after a decade of historically low prospects, millenials might be saying no more, Butchie, no more of this

9 hours ago, ghsotword said:

myu1keF.png

There is still some chance that the number of new COVID cases per day in the UK will not hit a new all time high before the grand reopening on July 19th

The Netherlands is doing great as well:

• Sad 4

18 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

While this is great news I'm hesitant to equate it with "herd immunity" unless maybe I'm misunderstanding that concept.  I'm still wary of how long the vaccine will last and the inevitability of vaccine-resistant variants, especially with all this pressure to reopen the CAN/US border. I'm about as optimistic as I can be tho 🙂 

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

wow Florida is leading the US in COVID and HIV infections. Aim for the stars.

fckn nuts

Florida makes up 20% of new US COVID-19 infections, White House officials say

4 states currently make up 40% of all cases

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/07/16/florida-makes-up-20-of-new-us-covid-19-infections-white-house-officials-say/

On 7/16/2021 at 9:40 PM, ghsotword said:

myu1keF.png

Well yes but compare to hospitalisations and deaths (i.e. see how the curves in the graphs below for the last wave in January were all in sync but this time they are not.)

image.png.f7918c35ce12442111645c73104555a5.png

Cases way up, hospital very slightly up (but less critical patients and shorter stays in hospital), deaths remain low.

That said, it does feel like a big leap into the unknown. Things looked much better about a month ago.

Edited by zazen

Been in central london for a few days now visiting a mate and it's been packed the whole time I've been here. 19th July is adding salt to the wound imo.

• BCM locked this topic