IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

Just now, Entorwellian said:

That is the most appropriate IDM album atm.

I've got a new appreciation for it. Good album, but still criminally underrated. You'd need an end of the world type of situation to be able to appreciate it, I guess. ;D

• Like 2

Right now it’s easy to make light of the situation, especially if it’s not directly affecting you or your circle, etc. I’d just like to shine the light back on the hospital situation for a moment. 

A couple weeks ago, I went to a hospital with my wife for a completely unrelated issue (she has a handful of serious health concerns that we need to deal with from time to time, that’s as much as I’ll say about that). We were out of town for my birthday and needed to quickly swing into a branch for this somewhat urgent situation. The place was over an hour away and my dumb ass left my water bottle behind. It was the weekend and by the time I realized I’d left my bottle, the office we visited was closed. 

This was a few days before covid-19 blew up in the USA. 

This past weekend, I was coincidentally in the area of that particular hospital and had already contacted the branch to let them know I'd be coming back in to get my bottle. When I arrived, the hospital was on full lockdown and there was a masked representative outside with a clipboard and an ipad who told me I wasn't allowed to enter unless it was an emergency. This was the main entrance of a 4 story facility. I begged them to let me in because I'd driven over an hour and I had spoken to someone who had set the bottle aside with  a note for me to pick it up on that day. She finally let me in and told me the only person I was allowed to talk to was the security guard. 

I went in and found the security guard and while he was looking around, I had to wait in a large atrium around lines of people, half of whom were wearing masks, a few with nasty coughs. I tried standing as far away in a remote corner of the lobby and started practicing shallow breathing. The guard couldn't find my bottle, so I had to leave empty handed.

My point...

Hospitals were not functioning normally before this situation and now they are completely jacked and we haven't even begun to see the worst of what the spread of this virus has to offer.

For me, it fucked up my NBD situation with my dumb water bottle, but imagine if this branch had 500-1000 people in line and all of them were coughing and every available MD was doing all they can at limited capacity and only life and death emergency cases were being admitted. That could mean a really bad situation for my wife, in particular... not to mention an elderly person with co-morbidities or a little kid with respiratory problems, etc.

I'm fine, btw, but my wife and I are now practicing social distancing, not only for our own sakes, but for the sake of society at large. The one thing that can be said for China is that their collectivist perspective really came in handy for slowing the progress of this whole thing in their country. If each of us took a second to get our head out of our own ass and think about something beyond themselves, it could make an infinitely bigger difference than we realize.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

i would love to distance myself socially. unfortunately my employers think otherwise

Most of the people at my workplace are now working from home because of the virus, including me. Maybe you'll luck out eventually.

scarfolk_virus.jpg

50 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Ah ok hadn't checked them. Were they maybe referring to the Brazilian press secretary? He was diagnosed with COVID-19 and there are pictures of him in contact with Trump at Mar-a-Lago within the past few days.

So yeah, I guess ultimately it doesn't matter. Trump and likely most of his immediate contacts in his administration have been exposed, for sure.

yeah, he was standing next to Trump in the pic

Capture-5.jpg

8 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

What? A water bottle? 

LOL! It was a really nice one and a gift from a really cool person. At this point, I'm accepting that I'll have to let it go. I had no idea that the hospital would be so jacked.

39 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

"closing schools and borders ? naaaah"

"unlimited power and fulll dictator mode ? yes please !"

Macron in a nutshell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goDel said:

Things turned heated in this thread.

Last night I had a bit of a fever. Don't think it's Corona related. No coughs or anything. But there's something under the weather.

. ?

metoo

28 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

What? A water bottle? 

lol

9 minutes ago, Nil said:

Macron in a nutshell.

but i'm allergic to nuts maaaan

1 hour ago, d-a-m-o said:

lol rumors about a possible use of article 16 by Macron  (unlimited power to fuck France in the ass for at least 30 days) this country is a fucking joke...

YOu've been screaming in this thread about the lack of response, asking him to do exactly what he will probably do under article 16. Why don't you just admit you have a hate boner for Macron?

I'd be very curious how many people in this thread bleating on about death also identify with Buddhist ideology.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, jules said:

and/or mutates as well - just like almost every influenza virus

apparently this is less prone to mutations than some viruses, only 1 in 20 transmissions results in a mutated virus being passed along, and most mutations either make little difference, or are just as likely to be more harmful to the virus as the host. most RNA viruses are very prone to mutations, but coronaviruses have some of the same repair mechanisms as DNA based cells/viruses, which helps keep their RNA sequences intact when they divide. which is good news for developing a vaccine, and hopefully makes it less likely an even more deadly version will develop. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

YOu've been screaming in this thread about the lack of response, asking him to do exactly what he will probably do under article 16. Why don't you just admit you have a hate boner for Macron?

I'd be very curious how many people in this thread bleating on about death also identify with Buddhist ideology.

lol please explain to me why he would need absolute power to close schools and borders ? Yes I hate this moron like a majority of French people.

Edited by d-a-m-o

3 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:
42 minutes ago, Braintree said:

What's a WATMM without baseless speculation? Certainly not a WATMM I want to exist in.

Bring back all the banned members and see what they think

This place would be a goldmine if logical fallacies could be used as currency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

The one thing that can be said for China is that their collectivist perspective really came in handy for slowing the progress of this whole thing in their country.

It was their collectivist perspective which allowed this crisis to happen in the first place, they sat on knowledge of the outbreak for at least a month, refused to implement any mitigations hoping it would go away by itself, arrested doctors and researchers who let out any information or otherwise contradicted the party line. So yeah, they're not the model to base the response to this on.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, caze said:

only 1 in 20 transmissions results in a mutated virus being passed along

my mistake, it's 1 in 20 replications, not transmissions, but this is still 20 times less than a standard RNA virus.

https://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1003760