IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

36 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

lol please explain to me why he would need absolute power to close schools and borders ? Yes I hate this moron like a majority of French people.

No being an expert on the French constitution, it appears that Article 16 is the only article that would allow him to order schools to close. Also it does not grant the president unlimited power, as he has to undergo several consultations before taking action, and cannot dissolve parliament during this time.

As to his popularity, he seems to be following the same pattern as many of his predecessors.

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

LOL! It was a really nice one and a gift from a really cool person. At this point, I'm accepting that I'll have to let it go. I had no idea that the hospital would be so jacked.

star a gofundme campaign for a new water bottle. the story was fucked up enough that i'll donate a dollar.

Edited by Entorwellian
  • Thanks 1

Been working this week at a lab near a university that just had 17 confirmed cases where some of the lab employees visit daily. So decided to cancel a visit this weekend to see family members that are high risk. Not concerned for my own health though, just want to play it safe with people who are vulnerable.

All 500+ people gatherings cancelled in Finland now. Meetings held remotely at work. People stocking up on food. Not scared but there is a kind of weird and vague DeLillo-like apocalyptic vibe.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, goDel said:

New BOC album confirmed!

imminent. 

re: slowing the spread of infection. the idea is keep the local healthcare systems form being overwhelmed.  once the beds are full and the system is at capacity then people who come in for other things like a broken leg or heart attack, or other urgent need, won't be able to get the care they need in the time they need. and then the people who are in higher risk categories for infection because of age, immune system compromised etc won't be able to get the level of care they need. 

te virus is going to spread but making it go slower benefits everyone. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, zkom said:

Been working this week at a lab near a university that just had 17 confirmed cases where some of the lab employees visit daily. So decided to cancel a visit this weekend to see family members that are high risk. Not concerned for my own health though, just want to play it safe with people who are vulnerable.

All 500+ people gatherings cancelled in Finland now. Meetings held remotely at work. People stocking up on food. Not scared but there is a kind of weird and vague DeLillo-like apocalyptic vibe.

Here in Sweden we have (edit) 6 times the amount of cases Finland has but we only just banned 500+ people gatherings too, no justification as to why we don't follow suit with Norway or Denmark yet..

Edited by MIXL2
updated stats

All I want is comparison of how many people died last year on the same day overall/ with flu + and same for this year/day with extra  column for corona. For each country..Just sick of people shitting themselves all around the internet without any clue. Just so much hype, fuck this shit.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

6 minutes ago, hma said:

All I want is comparison of how many people died last year on the same day overall/ with flu + and same for this year/day with extra  column for corona. For each country..Just sick of people shitting themselves all around the internet without any clue. Just so much hype, fuck this shit.

a little over reaction now is a good thing really. get people to stop and think and adjust to a new normal even if temporary may mean we get out of this in a better position with reduced loss of life.  as someone who is in a higher risk category i'm fine w/people over reacting and staying home if they can and avoiding gatherings. it sucks for a lot of people especially here in USA where the safety net is smaller and a large portion of the population survives paycheck to paycheck. 

Meanwhile authorities here are doing jack shit. Schools can't close because parents can't stay home from work in important societal functions. Our state epidemiologist is being called Corona Bob due to cluelessness and misinformation, but I'm starting to suspect he's planning for a maximum impact to create herd immunity. It's draconian but probably effective, but it's career suicide admit to that. 

Seattle update, schools are closed in three counties until April 24.  250+ person events are banned.  Kremwerk and many venues have all but completely shut down and tickets are being refunded.

I predict a lot of these measures will in fact roll into summer, which means my hopes of not being depressed all year long are definitely in jeopardy

15 minutes ago, alchemical said:

Seattle update, schools are closed in three counties until April 24.  250+ person events are banned.  Kremwerk and many venues have all but completely shut down and tickets are being refunded.

I predict a lot of these measures will in fact roll into summer, which means my hopes of not being depressed all year long are definitely in jeopardy

At least STG said they’ll be refunding tickets if dates don’t get rescheduled. But yeah, the city is completely shutting down. Might be having my last drink at my favorite bar right now. Hourly employees in the service industry are getting laid off in droves. I have the privilege of having family in the area and they’ve already told me they have space if I end up not being able to find work. Spooky.

• Like 1

Bummer that it had to come out in a time like this but it’s great to see that there are others in the Puget Sound area on this board. I’m down in Tacoma. 
Any word about the Squarepusher show at Neumos? 

1 hour ago, hma said:

Talking about clueless, have you actually informed yourself about what is happening outside your personal bubble?

Perhaps you should compare the situation in Italian hospitals today with that a year ago. Should give you a clue about what is taking place and why this is different to just a seasonal flue.

I don't blame you though. I stopped being surprised by how clueless people can be some time ago. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hma said:

The flu is something we have operationalized over the years and we come to expect it. Some years are worse than others. There are vaccines for it every year. Some are more effective than others. Compliance with vaccines depends on the population but in general we have the flu in check.

The novel coronavirus of 2019 is something new. There is no natural immunity and there is no vaccine. It is now pandemic. When it breaks out, it breaks out in an exponential fashion. It tends to double every 6 days. 2 cases becomes 1024 in 60 days, 32768 cases in 90 days, and 1048576 cases in 120 days.

It seems that about 10% of the COVID-19 cases need hospitalization. If that number grows exponentially you soon outstrip the hospital system capacity.

You'd need to model the specific data to your country, city, region, population, health system, etc. to know what risk to model.

I don't see it as hype.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, bandenoire said:

Bummer that it had to come out in a time like this but it’s great to see that there are others in the Puget Sound area on this board. I’m down in Tacoma. 
Any word about the Squarepusher show at Neumos? 

I think technically, Tom can still enter the US, being from UK.  The question is, does he want to take the risk of traveling?  He has 3 dates in Japan staring 4/1, and then flies to the US a few days later.  That's a LOT of hours being in an enclosed plane with unknown passengers from all over the world, plus navigating international airports.