IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

4 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

I think technically, Tom can still enter the US, being from UK.  The question is, does he want to take the risk of traveling?  He has 3 dates in Japan staring 4/1, and then flies to the US a few days later.  That's a LOT of hours being in an enclosed plane with unknown passengers from all over the world, plus navigating international airports.

then being in venues crowded with a thousand people all breathing on each other and being elbow to elbow in a frenzy of hot break beat fuckery

• Like 1

If he's smart he cancels. Odds are he could pick up some cold while traveling. And in these conditions you seriously have to consider it's covid19. Given that the odds of people being tested on corona actually shrinks (!!!! Because they cant keep up with all new cases, they only test people under specific conditions. Most people with flu-type symptoms are told to go home and sit it out. Only urgent cases get attention), you prolly wont ever know whether its a cold or a corona. And given this lack of knowledge, would you do a tour anyways? This should be a rhetorical question, btw. The answer is no, because you don't want to spread it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bandenoire said:

Bummer that it had to come out in a time like this but it’s great to see that there are others in the Puget Sound area on this board. I’m down in Tacoma. 
Any word about the Squarepusher show at Neumos? 

I haven’t heard anything yet but to be honest, I don’t see it happening. I think the 250 person gathering ban will be extended.

43 minutes ago, chim said:

We all know how unreliable the hacker named 4chan usually is, but this guy predicted Italy in January. 

1584037625644.jpg

Brazil at 69 cases :fear:

edit: just went up to 77!

Edited by MIXL2
  • Sad 2

The Belgian Security Council has decided to implement new drastic measures against Covid-19 starting tomorrow-evening:
 • Closing all: schools, bars, clubs, restaurants.
 • Shops must close in weekends.
 • Only food stores and pharmacists are allowed to stay open.
 • Not allowed to visit elderly care centers.
 • Cancelling all: cultural events, sport events, or other events with lots of people.
 • Public transport remains available, but is discouraged.
 • Older people are encouraged to stay at home.

Not yet a full lock-down, but I'm glad the Belgian government is taking action.

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 2

The ATP tour (which had been quiet of late given early round Davis and week 1 of Indian Wells) is cancelled for 7 weeks. A lot of the European clay season prior to the French Open has been called off. That is 3 Masters tournaments, and with a packed season you can't really postpone them without disrupting other tournaments. Understandable given the highly global nature of the tour.

Australia's NRL season began last night with AFL still projected to go ahead a week later.

Edited by Roo

21 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

it shows how culturally isolated we've become over the past years.

I can understand the sentiment, but also noteworthy is how readily people ignore the effects of day-to-day living this has for everyone.  You can consider immediate effects on your life and also the global and life-threatening implications of the virus, too.  These aren't mutually exclusive.

36 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:
44 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

Can't believe some humans are concerned about canceled shows and refunds... 

it shows how culturally isolated we've become over the past years.

I don't see what's unreasonable about 1) wanting to know where the good hard earned money one spent on travel/arrangements etc will be because of the virus 2) wanting to know whether conditions will be safe to travel in a few months. 

There are thousands of people that have booked flights, cruises, etc that don't want to see their money go "POOF". What's wrong with that?

Help me understand.

5 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

Well I'm a fool then, didn't have a clue that people had spend money also on travels, i thought the events were on their hometown or close to it... 

Oh, you're probably right in a lot of cases! People worried that their tickets to Wrestlemania or their $60 club tix are cancelled... I don't know, those are low priority. 

I'm thinking more of the people that have booked cruises (typically you have to fly to the location before getting on the cruise? Like you're responsible for a separate flight to get to the point of disembarkation.). They're out potentially thousands of dollars depending on how companies are handling it. 

Myself for example I have flights to Iceland and hotels booked there for June - I have no idea if I can get refunds if this stuff gets out of hand. Which sucks because I'm kinda poor right now and could use the money (I could use the distraction of travel much more though!). lol

I'm p sure my flight to Portland for the pusher' show next month will be refunded thankfully. ?

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, MaartenVC said:

The Belgian Security Council has decided to implement new drastic measures against Covid-19 starting tomorrow-evening:
 • Closing all: schools, bars, clubs, restaurants.
 • Shops must close in weekends.
 • Only food stores and pharmacists are allowed to stay open.
 • Not allowed to visit elderly care centers.
 • Cancelling all: cultural events, sport events, or other events with lots of people.
 • Public transport remains available, but is discouraged.
 • Older people are encouraged to stay at home.

Not yet a full lock-down, but I'm glad the Belgian government is taking action.

would be interesting to see this sorta thing implemented in America, even at state levels. could see it not going over well, being ignored, etc. obv most people would follow suit but there'd be some places or groups or persons trying to make a big deal of it. many small businesses here would be in some serious pain, along with a lot of people like Lada getting fired from service/gig type jobs.

• Like 1

You know it's the year 2020 when you read this in an online paper and realise it's not the opinion section after ckecking 3 times to be sure...

Donald Trump is the very worst person to handle the coronavirus crisis

The president responded to the pandemic with denial and blaming foreigners. His incompetence and selfishness will be lethal

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/donald-trump-coronavirus-crisis

• Like 1

My workplace is officially shut down indefinitely starting Monday.

Tonight's band practice was cancelled because one of the guys is showing potential symptoms.

Inside information from a nurse whose husband I work with is that the biggest hospital in the state is laying off something like 15% of their workforce starting today because it's "redundant" and is cutting in to potential profits.

0Gy8cS0.png

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, BCM said:

guys, pretty much every single one of you on here (if you actually get covid-19) will experience mild symptoms akin to a cold. many of you will experience no symptoms at all.

you're NOT going to die.

understand this is scary as the media is portraying it that way, but we need to keep some perspective and rationale.

I think you’re missing the point where there’s a likely scenario that hospitals will be overrun (like in Italy) causing many people to needlessly suffer and die. I think most people on here are concerned for those around them that already require medical assistance for whatever reason or are likely to be in need if they become ill and are worried about the unpredictable  disruptive effects/aftermath this epidemic may have in the near future.

One of the biggest challenges governments face when dealing with public health threats is how to inform the general public and take the right measures without causing panic (with all implied economic and social consequences) while at the same time making people aware of the gravity of the situation. Usually there’s a bit more room to find the right balance and strike the right tone because not so many people are affected at once. The current situation however is unlike any that these governments and public authorities have had to deal with in recent history. Which is why a lot of them are (somewhat understandably) bumbling around like drunken clowns on a tightrope and seem to be leaning a bit too much toward the “it’ll be fine, don’t worry” in fear of causing too much disruption. Repeating this message while the consequences of the epidemic are unfolding in countries around you and in front of people who are being confronted on a daily basis with people who either choose to be ignorant, adapt a defiant attitude for whatever reason or are too stupid to understand what’s going on and how to best deal with it, is not very helpful. To me it seems no one on here is panicking or making any rash decisions, it’s just people trying to asses the situation and decide the best course of action during a time where the usual systems that are in place are not equipped to deal with what’s going on.

I think it’s not that hard to take responsibility, ie; take your temp before heading out if you’re not feeling that great; regularly wash your hands; avoid close contact and remind those extending hands that it might not be the best time and if we pull together we could be hugging and kissing again in a few weeks; get yourself some food and supplies to last without hoarding like a rabid prepper. Just be responsible without losing the plot. Most people I’ve spoken to in real life over the last couple of days that seemed to veer towards either “everyone is overreacting” or “nothing I do is going to make any difference anyway” were entirely prone to reason and seemed to change their minds somewhat towards taking basic precautions without uprooting their daily lives. It’s such an easy thing but becomes more difficult when more people join either the ignorant or doomsday chorus. What you say and do right now has direct consequences. Take responsibility, be assertive and try to fill the gaps others seem to leave open. Ideally things we should strive towards doing anyway but are now more important than ever. 

• Like 3

The way we live as a species, it was and is only a matter of time we face another plague.

Growing rampant, out of all sane proportions because of our massive collective and personal ego.

Edited by cichlisuite
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1