IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

4 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Has anyone made a beer joke yet? Actually I wonder if Corona has had an uptick of sales this past week.

I prefer my Corona virus relaxing on a beach in Mexico. 

On 1/26/2020 at 12:56 PM, dr lopez said:

So if the mortality rate is low and would only affect the infirm and elderly... are you saying we could eliminate boomers and OAPs in a few months????

I plan to snog as many celestials as possible on my way home from Thailand this weekend, then do a full national tour of old folks homes when I get back to the UK. Let's have a clear out of all these auld cunts

• Farnsworth 1

news this morning is 132 confirmed deaths, with approximately 6,000 confirmed cases...that ratio seems a bit high for what is being suggested is just a relatively survivable virus (most deaths being elderly/otherwise at-risk persons of course). the 6,000 confirmed could be under or far under the actual number of persons with the virus, some amount being unconfirmed and some amount being absolutely unknown. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-hubei-cases/japan-u-s-pull-nationals-from-china-as-virus-toll-jumps-idUSKBN1ZR2VG

if that 6.000 is indeed far below the real number, the consequence would most likely be that the risk of dying is even lower than it currently seems to be. if thats the case, most people with the virus just have some kind of unreported flu and think nothing of it. It's the severe cases that get reported.

1 hour ago, goDel said:

if that 6.000 is indeed far below the real number, the consequence would most likely be that the risk of dying is even lower than it currently seems to be. if thats the case, most people with the virus just have some kind of unreported flu and think nothing of it. It's the severe cases that get reported.

As happened with MERS and SARS.

Given how much our population has increased, with cities where more than ten million people live in close proximity, I'd say we've been getting off lightly as far as deadly epidemics are concerned.

One of these days something like Ebola is going to originate in one of the world's well connected megacities and when that happens ... oh boy!

• Like 1

I’m glad that China is actually enforcing lockdowns and quarantines, unlike Congolese Ebola outbreaks, where one of the deadliest viral pathogens in the world is treated with the same concern as bronchitis.

6 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

It's all laughs and jokes now.... but just wait another month....

spacer.png

That man simply is not equipped to hold that much fruit. 

And speaking of the virus. I am kinda tired of seeing the news over-play these kinds of things. It could become an issue worldwide, but more people have probably died from falling refrigerators in the past week than the virus. I remember when there were a few dozen cases of Ebola in the news here in Texas and they didn't stop reporting it.

Edited by Brisbot

12 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

I’m glad that China is actually enforcing lockdowns and quarantines, unlike Congolese Ebola outbreaks, where one of the deadliest viral pathogens in the world is treated with the same concern as bronchitis.

Not sure that's fair. Congo is barely functioning as a state.

When it comes to enforcing anything in that place, the question "You and whose army?" has dozens if not hundreds of possible answers.

2 hours ago, goDel said:

I’m saying that the number of dead vs the number of cases seems high, not low. I mean idk the numbers of people who get colds/flus compared to those who get it and die, but would’ve though it’d be more like one for every few thousand infected. Idk those numbers for similar viruses/contagions necessarily either, just thinking out loud here really

-The Wuhan coronavirus has hit Xinjiang, where China has imprisoned at least 1 million Uighur Muslims. Its filthy detention camps will make inmates sitting ducks.-

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-xinjiang-uighur-squalid-detention-camps-2020-1

28 minutes ago, auxien said:

I’m saying that the number of dead vs the number of cases seems high, not low. I mean idk the numbers of people who get colds/flus compared to those who get it and die, but would’ve though it’d be more like one for every few thousand infected. Idk those numbers for similar viruses/contagions necessarily either, just thinking out loud here really

Fatality Rate (case fatality ratio or CFR) of 2019-nCoV

The novel coronavirus' case fatality rate is currently estimated at around 3%[9] (between 2% and 4%). 

For comparison, the case fatality rate with seasonal flu is less than 0.01% (1 death per every 10,000 cases)[7].Fatality rate for SARS was 10%, and for MERS 34%. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brisbot said:

That man simply is not equipped to hold that much fruit. 

And speaking of the virus. I am kinda tired of seeing the news over-play these kinds of things. It could become an issue worldwide, but more people have probably died from falling refrigerators in the past week than the virus. I remember when there were a few dozen cases of Ebola in the news here in Texas and they didn't stop reporting it.

the chinese government isn't overplaying it, they're massively under reporting it. you know they still went ahead with a 100k person banquet in wuhan for celebrations a week after the first death from the virus was recorded? they arrested ppl and journalists who reported about the virus...absolutely fucked up.

also, why not err on the side of caution when charting unknown territory with viruses. we havent seen this one b4, although we do know its in the same family as SARS, but why would you NOT be overly cautious when viruses could proliferate at such a rapid rate?

3 hours ago, drillkicker said:

you should not be lauding the chinese government for doing anything, they have handled this situation embarrassingly bad

1 hour ago, Bodhidharma said:

also, why not err on the side of caution when charting unknown territory with viruses. we havent seen this one b4, although we do know its in the same family as SARS, but why would you NOT be overly cautious when viruses could proliferate at such a rapid rate?

Because shutting down society is a very drastic step to take. People will have no income, no food (after a while), no services, etc, all of which could itself very well cause loss of life. Not something you want to be responsible for unless you’re fairly certain it’s absolutely necessary.