IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

am i the only one wandering around feeling like this is one of those scenes right before the shit hits the fan in a catastrophe movie? where people are all happy and there's christmas songs playing in the background and e then all of a sudden BAAAAMMMMM!!!!!

i read that anonymous copy paste that someone posted on this thread and now i'm thinking if i should tell my parents back in portugal to buy a chest freezer and start pilling up provisions for the next months... i don't care if i sound ignorant, please be honest, i'm truly worried about them...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

yeah but how come you survive one month (or maybe most probably even more) indoors without food?

I've been ordering food off amazon and other delivery places and wiping it down with bleach when i take it into the house.

On 3/13/2020 at 1:22 AM, Zephyr_Nova said:

My friend's brother has it.

Just found out he didn't actually get tested... so it's far more likely he got sick with something else and got caught up in the hysteria.  My friend still believes it.  Ah well.  He's young and healthy, so I'm sure he'll pull through either way.

• Like 2

interesting interview/info here

http://nautil.us/issue/83/intelligence/the-man-who-saw-the-pandemic-coming

Are there any signs that this coronavirus will kill itself?

This one has a lower pathogenicity. The lower its virulence, the more likely it’ll become part of an endemic, part of a seasonal event. That’s one of the big things that’s going to be a worry. If it does go quiet over the summer months, then the question’s going to be, “Is it still infecting people?” We could be walking around in the middle of summer with influenza viruses, but they’re not active. They’ve just gone quiet. When the right ecology comes into play, it starts getting cold, and damp, then it starts replicating like crazy. If it’s able to park itself, and not kill its host over the summer months, then we’ve got a virus that has all the telltale signatures of establishing itself as part of our normative landscape, much to our detriment.

Do you think the current outbreak was inevitable?

Oh, sure. It was predictable. It’s like if you had no traffic laws and were constantly finding pedestrians getting whacked by cars as they crossed the street. Is that surprising? No. All you need to do is to better manage how we set up crosswalks, how we establish traffic rules and regulations. We’re not doing that. We’re not establishing the kind of safe practices that will minimize the opportunity for spillover. If we better understood where these viruses are circulating and understood that ecology, we would have the potential to disrupt and minimize the risk of spillover.

NZ & Australia now both have the 14 day self-isolation requirement in place for anyone entering the country. Our domestic football leagues (soccer, Aussie rules, rugby league) are all still planning to go ahead, albeit to no crowds as of next weekend. The transnational Rugby Union competition between Australia, NZ and South Africa (plus Argentina & Japan) has had to stop this weekend (future of that league looks very dicey, and Sun Wolves won't play again).

Feel like the antipodes will physically bear this. Of course economically it is still catastrophic.

Edited by Roo

Good news: Work has let me have six weeks paid vacation starting mid-April because all my rantings and ravings caused management to think I'm paranoid to the point of bordering psychosis :V

Edited by Entorwellian
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

3 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

Good news: Work has let me have six weeks paid vacation starting mid-April because all my rantings and ravings caused management to think I'm paranoid to the point of bordering psychosis :V

Nice! You could use that time for traveling

• Haha 2

Yes, if you want to get tested on the Corona virus, you could take a flight to China or South Korea! Test guaranteed! And flights are cheap!!

/sarcasm

• Burger 1

I think they're right

Google translated news from Germany:

US President Donald Trump tries to lure German scientists working on a potential corona vaccine to America with high financial donations or to secure the drug exclusively for his country. WELT AM SONNTAG experienced this in government circles.

The US President is said to be offering the company a large amount to secure its work exclusively. Trump is doing everything possible to get a vaccine for the United States. "But only for the USA," says the federal government.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

I still can't understand why muncipal elections aren't postponed.

Anyway the place I teach at might be closed from now on. The law is super vague in that reguard, as we teach adults and don't depend on the ministry of Education the way schools and univerities  do.

• Like 2

I'm getting a real "l'appel du vide" on this bug because it's firing up those old generalized jitters I fought hard to be rid of. I want to get it; if nature doesn't favor me, adios this plane of existence. If I make it, I'm ready to carry on. I know how foolhardy it is but I'm feeling real Arnie-at-the-end-of-Predator at the moment. C'MAAAAHN!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xxx said:

I'm getting a real "l'appel du vide" on this bug because it's firing up those old generalized jitters I fought hard to be rid of. I want to get it; if nature doesn't favor me, adios this plane of existence. If I make it, I'm ready to carry on. I know how foolhardy it is but I'm feeling real Arnie-at-the-end-of-Predator at the moment. C'MAAAAHN!!!

No problem with harming yourself if you must, but doing it by contracting a virus that will undoubtedly spread to others around you isn't "foolhardy", it's antisocial. Don't be a dick.

42 minutes ago, Gocab said:

Google translated news from Germany:

US President Donald Trump tries to lure German scientists working on a potential corona vaccine to America with high financial donations or to secure the drug exclusively for his country. WELT AM SONNTAG experienced this in government circles.

The US President is said to be offering the company a large amount to secure its work exclusively. Trump is doing everything possible to get a vaccine for the United States. "But only for the USA," says the federal government.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-and-us-wrestle-over-coronavirus-vaccine-report/a-52777990

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nil said:

I still can't understand why muncipal elections aren't postponed.

I have one in 2 weeks and I feel like we'd still have to mostly attend the booths on time en masse even during a natural disaster. They appear hellbent. "Oh, there won't be 500 people together at once. Bring your own pencil. Simples". Gagf. Hate local council elections at the best of times (lucky to even hear about them sometimes). Standing in a claustrophobic queue for hours with randoms shoving how-to-votes in your face, yay! Not to mention that is a high-intensity old-people-encounter event.