Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, auxien said:

^if everywhere keeps containing their outbreaks then America is going to look really stupid (deservedly so) being the only country with it running wild in a few weeks... lord knows there's no way we're going to keep in under control as much as the success stories i've been hearing this week. 

Rest assured that France is going for that NUMBER ONE SPOT BABY !!!

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

my lungs hurt a bit ,but im also a mild hypochondriac and ive been reading reddit in work all day.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Best news ever. Personally I can't wait to start the rape, pillage and torture.

FIRE IN THE SKY

I love this guy 

20 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

Rest assured that France is going for that NUMBER ONE SPOT BABY !!!

They can add coronavirus to BO and smoking.

4 hours ago, kakapo said:

Apparently coronavirus affects white people at similar rates to black, brown and yellow people.  What kind of callous god pulls this shit?  My grandad didn't die fighting to keep China British for this.  

See, the trouble is Brexit came too late. God rest ye merry gentlemen. 

South Korea, the only place testing everyone, just found out that 1/3 people aged 20-29 are asymptomatic, have the virus and are spreading it everywhere.

All Western Countries are fucked.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

disinfect your smartphone

Posted (edited)

makes sense. south korea is testing everyone. not just people w/symptoms. i think italy is testing people w/symptoms who are mostly old people.  this changes the mortality rate for south korea a lot right? if they find out more and more people are infected but w/o symptoms then i guess they have to do a separate mortality rate for people who are infected and show symptoms? or does science not work that way and everyone infected regardless of symptoms is part of the tally to determine mortality rate? 

children are apparently not showing symptoms but are getting infected like everyone else..then giving it to their parents. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

Thank god my grandmother isn't around anymore and I don't have to worry about her getting sick.

• Like 1

This is a literal boomer remover.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

I also saw that there's an isreali research group that says they could get a vaccine out in a few weeks. They said that they were coincidentally working on a very similar strain of corona virus. Lemme try and find that.

Here it is!
https://nypost.com/2020/02/28/israeli-scientists-claim-to-be-weeks-away-from-coronavirus-vaccine/
Not sure how credible this is... But here's hoping.

Edited by KingBo0
Added link

am i the only one wandering around feeling like this is one of those scenes right before the shit hits the fan in a catastrophe movie? where people are all happy and there's christmas songs playing in the background and e then all of a sudden BAAAAMMMMM!!!!!

i read that anonymous copy paste that someone posted on this thread and now i'm thinking if i should tell my parents back in portugal to buy a chest freezer and start pilling up provisions for the next months... i don't care if i sound ignorant, please be honest, i'm truly worried about them...

• Like 1

Honestly, depending where you live I wouldn't even be walking around in the first place...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingBo0 said:

Honestly, depending where you live I wouldn't even be walking around in the first place...

yeah but how come you survive one month (or maybe most probably even more) indoors without food?

There's always the IDM option of eating your own skin. (shameless Most IDM nominee plug)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

yeah but how come you survive one month (or maybe most probably even more) indoors without food?

I've been ordering food off amazon and other delivery places and wiping it down with bleach when i take it into the house.

On 3/13/2020 at 1:22 AM, Zephyr_Nova said:

My friend's brother has it.

Just found out he didn't actually get tested... so it's far more likely he got sick with something else and got caught up in the hysteria.  My friend still believes it.  Ah well.  He's young and healthy, so I'm sure he'll pull through either way.

• Like 2

interesting interview/info here

http://nautil.us/issue/83/intelligence/the-man-who-saw-the-pandemic-coming

Are there any signs that this coronavirus will kill itself?

This one has a lower pathogenicity. The lower its virulence, the more likely it’ll become part of an endemic, part of a seasonal event. That’s one of the big things that’s going to be a worry. If it does go quiet over the summer months, then the question’s going to be, “Is it still infecting people?” We could be walking around in the middle of summer with influenza viruses, but they’re not active. They’ve just gone quiet. When the right ecology comes into play, it starts getting cold, and damp, then it starts replicating like crazy. If it’s able to park itself, and not kill its host over the summer months, then we’ve got a virus that has all the telltale signatures of establishing itself as part of our normative landscape, much to our detriment.

Do you think the current outbreak was inevitable?

Oh, sure. It was predictable. It’s like if you had no traffic laws and were constantly finding pedestrians getting whacked by cars as they crossed the street. Is that surprising? No. All you need to do is to better manage how we set up crosswalks, how we establish traffic rules and regulations. We’re not doing that. We’re not establishing the kind of safe practices that will minimize the opportunity for spillover. If we better understood where these viruses are circulating and understood that ecology, we would have the potential to disrupt and minimize the risk of spillover.

Posted (edited)

NZ & Australia now both have the 14 day self-isolation requirement in place for anyone entering the country. Our domestic football leagues (soccer, Aussie rules, rugby league) are all still planning to go ahead, albeit to no crowds as of next weekend. The transnational Rugby Union competition between Australia, NZ and South Africa (plus Argentina & Japan) has had to stop this weekend (future of that league looks very dicey, and Sun Wolves won't play again).

Feel like the antipodes will physically bear this. Of course economically it is still catastrophic.

Edited by Roo

Posted (edited)

Good news: Work has let me have six weeks paid vacation starting mid-April because all my rantings and ravings caused management to think I'm paranoid to the point of bordering psychosis :V

Edited by Entorwellian
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

• Haha 7