IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

I have a number of friends and family that are doctors and epidemiologists in major US cities and they are scaring the shit out of me. They are FAR MORE alarmist about this than what is in the news. Doctors see clearly the infrastructure will be overwhelmed- already seeing very sick people, not just the elderly. Epidemiologists saying we must lock down now: only emergency workers, health care workers on the roads. Do this now. Individuals should hunker down. If you have vacation time use it now.

If you get sick, do not go out, minimize contact with those you live with, hydrate, treat symptoms. If you have to go the hospital, go. There isn't that much they can do for you unless you are so sick you need a respirator and there is a limited number of respirators. The idea that if you're young you're OK may not really hold up- the data is not a slam dunk. And if you think about a 1/1000 death rate for young people, that doesn't seem terrifying. But If 1/3 of the population is going to get this, you're looking at 1/3000 chance of dying. There is nothing in your life that carries that kind of risk. And you can avoid it by staying in. Stay in.

Be safe everyone. Stay in. Make music. Fret. Cook. Watch TV.

Edited by cooliofranco
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

UK saying their population 80%, cuomo saying 40, 50, 60 percent. if 75% of the world population get coronavirus and 2% of them die, that's 112 million dead.

Edited by very honest

7 minutes ago, cooliofranco said:

I have a number of friends and family that are doctors and epidemiologists in major US cities and they are scaring the shit out of me. They are FAR MORE alarmist about this than what is in the news. Doctors see clearly the infrastructure will be overwhelmed- already seeing very sick people, not just the elderly. Epidemiologists saying we must lock down now: only emergency workers, health care workers on the roads. Do this now. Individuals should hunker down. If you have vacation time use it now.

If you get sick, do not go out, minimize contact with those you live with, hydrate, treat symptoms. If you have to go the hospital, go. There isn't that much they can do for you unless you are so sick you need a respirator and there is a limited number of respirators. The idea that if you're young you're OK may not really hold up- the data is not a slam dunk. And if you think about a 1/1000 death rate for young people, that doesn't seem terrifying. But If 1/3 of the population is going to get this, you're looking at 1/3000 chance of dying. There is nothing in your life that carries that kind of risk. And you can avoid it by staying in. Stay in.

thank you for this!

1 hour ago, Polytrix said:

Do I bother going Amsterdam?

Due to depart March 21st. 

????

Sounds like almost everything is closing up. I still like the idea of chilling at my airbnb all the same but it'd be nice to eat and drink out too and get a smoke as well..really not sure now.

The coffeeshops I follow are posting they are starting to close too.  So yeah, delay it.

3 hours ago, mycospherologyst said:

do you not think the religious right might turn on their 'prophets' when they start dying in droves?

I saw some Greek Orhodox priest online saying they will still give out communion, because God wouldn't dare infect the holy sacrament.  Midievil thinking has to fall by the wayside.

2 hours ago, luke viia said:

Not that I know of.

I'm also a WA resident, sorry to hear about your situation man.  I've heard there are definitely state resources for people whose employment is affected by this virus.  Employment Security Department:

https://esd.wa.gov/newsroom/covid-19

Best of luck.

esd-wa-covid-19.png

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cooliofranco said:

Yeah, and don't freak out like some might do

• Like 1

Amsterdam is eerie as fuck right now. It was announced about 17:30 that  would shut down at 18:00, for at least 3 weeks. City centre is dead as fuck. Only the prostitutes and beer shops are open for business. Proper dystopian scifi vibes.

• Burger 1

I didn't realize yesterday was green idiot day, so was quite shocked to discover a sea of drunks standing between the McD's entrance and the order I was meant to deliver.  Needless to say, I told Skip that delivery wasn't happening.  This doesn't negate the fact that I was in there for a good 5 minutes inhaling all their exhales.  Now I have low level anxiety that I may have been contaminated.  Very low level... but it's kind of there.

2 minutes ago, pcock said:

QQQ

Good luck! I tried my luck on GUSH last week thinking oil would get a dead cat bounce. It didn't. Was just toying around with 100 shares, got out after losing 50%.

Feel REALLY sorry for anyone who was playing around with gold miner ETFs. JNUG took a 90% haircut last week.

France typically has Cannes & Roland Garros in May, which haven't been ruled out yet (but unlikely you'd think). Can't imagine Le Tour would go ahead if it is still like this in July.

Easter chocolate sales would appear another likely near-future victim.

Apparently Ridley Scott (entering his mid 80s) has had to postpone production between location shoots and has jumped straight into editing the hour of final cut material they already captured. That should occupy him for the next 2 months.

Edited by Roo

8 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

So, it is ok to hang around the supermarket but nok ok to go for a walk/bike ride out in nature? Anyone know the logic behind this?  

Is that so? I thought the whole idea was to stay away from other people; how would taking a walk in some remote neck of the woods be a problem if you don't get near anyone? I wasn't planning to literally stay inside for weeks, but rather enjoy the great outdoors by myself on a daily basis, or do I have to nix that plan?

6 hours ago, goDel said:

Nice. I expect a big load of new albums in the next 6 months. All this isolating makes good music making time. ?

And a load of babies in 9 months..

Edited by randomsummer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

33 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Is that so? I thought the whole idea was to stay away from other people; how would taking a walk in some remote neck of the woods be a problem if you don't get near anyone? I wasn't planning to literally stay inside for weeks, but rather enjoy the great outdoors by myself on a daily basis, or do I have to nix that plan?

New CDC recommendation says keep away from groups of 50 people or more for next 8 weeks.

1 hour ago, mycospherologyst said:

trump will get the full mussolini treatment when this eases. mark my words

US President Trump is attempting to entice a German lab to develop a vaccine exclusively for the US, a German newspaper reported. The company, however, later rejected claims of a sale of the firm or its technology.

• Like 1

Yeah, sure, that's what I meant. When I go for a walk alone, I'm usually 49 people short of 50, so I don't see the issue. Can't infect someone when you're alone, whether in your house or in nature.

Edit: @Rubin Farr

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 1