IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

44 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Because shutting down society is a very drastic step to take. People will have no income, no food (after a while), no services, etc, all of which could itself very well cause loss of life. Not something you want to be responsible for unless you’re fairly certain it’s absolutely necessary.

where did i say anything about shutting down society

Tin-foil hat fodder but interesting:

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/man-behind-global-coronavirus-pandemic

1. One of China's top virology and immunology experts was and still works at China's top-rated biohazard lab, the Wuhan Institute of Virology, which some have affectionately called the real Umbrella Corp.
  2. Since 2009, Peng has been the leading Chinese scientist researching the immune mechanism of bats carrying and transmitting lethal viruses in the world.
  3. His primary field of study is researching how and why bats can be infected with some of the most nightmarish viruses in the world including Ebola, SARS and Coronavirus, and not get sick.
  4. He was genetically engineering various immune pathways (such as the STING pathway in bats) to make the bats more or less susceptible to infection, in the process potentially creating a highly resistant mutant superbug.
  5. As part of his studies, Peng also researched mutant Coronavirus strains that overcame the natural immunity of some bats; these are "superbug" Coronavirus strains, which are not resistant to any natural immune pathway, and now appear to be out in the wild.
  6. As of mid-November, his lab was actively hiring inexperienced post-docs to help conduct his research into super-Coronaviruses and bat infections.
  7. Peng's work on virology and bat immunology has received support from the National "You Qing" Fund, the pilot project of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, and the major project of the Ministry of Science and Technology.

• Like 3

that's a lot of tinfoil hat fodder though!  damn. detectives aren't supposed to believe in coincidences so i'm sure their radars are all going off somewhere. 

If China were trying to create some horrible disease for some reason, they didn’t do a very good job.  Spreading some of the plague that they sometimes find in the western provinces would have done a lot more damage than this coronavirus.

A new "superbug" shows up every what.. two years? Pretty much everytime it's overblown, news coverage designed for ratings to make you worry the next polio may be here, based off of relatively few deaths. Then as soon as it appeared it's gone from news coverage because ratings have started to go down and news cycles tend to drop things and never talk about them again if ratings are down.

There's a good chance that one day one of these superbugs is going to be very bad, but the coronavirus thus far? Malaria... 2-3 million people infected every year,  500,000 deaths a year. Kills thousands of children every day.  Even 20000 cases a year here in the USA. And that's just malaria. 

I bet this thing will for the most part disappear (from public consciousness) like ebola did in 2014. Then in 2022 when the budweiser superbug enters the news cycle, they'll talk about that on repeat, people will become worried, then after a bit it will die down. They've got it down to a science.

And by the way, if China feels like it needs to shut down transportation, then that is what China should do. What I'm saying is that as of 1/29/2020 99.9% of people shouldn't be worrying about the coronavirus. 

• Like 4

Fifth case detected in France. Remember a week ago the speech of our beloved minister ? "Everything is in control and there is zero chance of contamination by this evil virus in beautiful France " lol 

Any pathogen that is new to science, spreads easily human to human and kills hundreds of people within the first couple of weeks of knowing about it obviously newsworthy. It will stop being reported on if when it's effectively contained, or turns out to be not that bad. We're def still in the wait-and-see stage, hence the news coverage. If healthy 20-30 yr olds start dying then it will be fairly worrying.

I got aussie flu when that was doing the rounds in 2017. Looked it up back then, that particular strain of flu was new in the 60s and called Hong Kong flu at the time. Didn't know I had it and visited my family for xmas, 3 weeks later my grandpa was dead (he was in his 90s and frail, but still). Bad times

• Sad 2

Two flights to Japan have already landed in Tokyo. Three passengers have so far tested positive for the virus, Japanese media report

How many people on board these 2  flights? Maybe 400 max? I would say 3 (so far) is quite a high % and very worrying to show how far this thing is spreading!

Also... does this now mean that everyone else on those flights could potentially test positive in 2 weeks time?

Edited by Soloman Tump

8 hours ago, Brisbot said:

There's a good chance that one day one of these superbugs is going to be very bad, but the coronavirus thus far? Malaria... 2-3 million people infected every year,  500,000 deaths a year. Kills thousands of children every day.  Even 20000 cases a year here in the USA. And that's just malaria. 

not a valid analogy because malaria can only spread via mosquito bites

On 1/28/2020 at 4:36 PM, colunga said:

Just bought a ton of masks to sell for $29 each once things pop of here in NYC.  ?

Proper capitalist here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iococoi said:

TQQODmR.jpg

lol

coronavirus was probably created by a mask company.

"well dudes, mask sales last quarter were pretty low. I know! we'll cook up a super virus to get people wearing 10 at a time! masks will sell like crazy!!!"

• Farnsworth 1