IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

Well, they work on crowds if and when they get unruly. It's also a good way to black interstate travel or whatever. Scary sights indeed. 

Page break edit: Tanks. We were talking about the goddamn tanks. 

Edited by Candiru

51 minutes ago, auxien said:

guns dont work against the virus but maybe tanks do

tank shells are bigger than bullets

kills more of the virus

every kaboom

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

WTF is going on with those humvees and tanks...is martial law coming now??

i think  in NYC the governor asked for national guard but i forget the context. i think part of it is for setting up testing tents and shit like that.

the tanks on the train is pretty common.  i've seen hour long trains of HumVees in oregon. they just go on forever. they move shit around to different ports or bases etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

i think  in NYC the governor asked for national guard but i forget the context. i think part of it is for setting up testing tents and shit like that.

the tanks on the train is pretty common.  i've seen hour long trains of HumVees in oregon. they just go on forever. they move shit around to different ports or bases etc. 

yeah most tanks and armored vehicles in the US are concentrated at a handful of bases so that kind of mass movement is needed for exercises at more remote military ranges and/or overseas deployment rotations and rail is the most cost effective way to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE9vDfpxkZM

US national guard usually has trucks and humvees and more utilitarian support vehicles.

3 hours ago, yekker said:

Talked to my landlord ( who im friends with?? ) about maybe helping me out if i get laid off

He goes" i can't afford it. I know you have money. If you need help ask your parents. That would be like stealing from me etc etc 

3 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

Kill your fucking landlord oh my god.

If he evicts you post his contact and personal info. Lynch the fucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcW8VNwYvL0

if it comes up again remind him that you're the one with a real job and he can suck it up and wait

FFS even Trump and the US government have called for evictions to be exempted right now

18 hours ago, goDel said:

In case people were wondering, this is more about diplomatic  bullying between China and Us than it is about racism or Trump being an idiot. This is what diplomacy has become in the age of Trump. And it goes both ways btw.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/18/coronavirus-china-trade-136188

That it may also enhance some racist tendencies can almost be seen like a byproduct. There's an argument here, obviously. But the narrative that Trump is simply being racist (and doesn't know what hes doing) is oblivious to the fact it's a conscious part of this diplomatic bullying thats been going on for a while now, as far as I'm concerned. 

good point, last day of work we were talking about it, one of my coworkers was puzzled why people were upset at it being "racist when it's from China" and I said that isn't the crux of the issue. the reason Trump harps on the Chinese angle is to distract from his dismissal of the virus for weeks and weeks. the original framing of it was "it's in China and it's their problem" then "it's in Asia and it's their problem" then "it's in the EU and it's there problem" etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_58ZMe364

Edited by joshuatxuk
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

good point, last day of work we were talking about it, one of my coworkers was puzzled why people were upset at it being "racist when it's from China" and I said that isn't the crux of the issue. the reason Trump harps on the Chinese angle is to distract from his dismissal of the virus for weeks and weeks. the original framing of it was "it's in China and it's their problem" then "it's in Asia and it's their problem" then "it's in the EU and it's there problem" etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_58ZMe364

• Facepalm 3

Well, a Chinese diplomat tried blaming the virus on the US military bringing it over there. And then people end up believing that. Just like they're getting the virus under control, right? They want people to sympathize with them over the US. 

Apparently, China uses accusations of racism to stall investigations into a PLA, CCP whatever person getting caught committing crimes in the US by getting the attention of journalists, lawyers, etc and it can be quite effective. Pure crocodile tears from a much crueler country. Something to keep in mind when everyone is talking about how offended they are by the "Chinese Virus". 

I mean, yeah, we all hate Trump, but there are other ways of looking at this that the public doesn't usually see. 

• Facepalm 1

34 minutes ago, Candiru said:

Well, a Chinese diplomat tried blaming the virus on the US military bringing it over there. And then people end up believing that. Just like they're getting the virus under control, right? They want people to sympathize with them over the US. 

Apparently, China uses accusations of racism to stall investigations into a PLA, CCP whatever person getting caught committing crimes in the US by getting the attention of journalists, lawyers, etc and it can be quite effective. Pure crocodile tears from a much crueler country. Something to keep in mind when everyone is talking about how offended they are by the "Chinese Virus". 

I mean, yeah, we all hate Trump, but there are other ways of looking at this that the public doesn't usually see. 

Nonsense. How China behaves has nothing to do with it. China can blame US all it likes, but it would never excuse the tit-for-tat bad faith of "Chinese virus" as an acceptable moniker.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, Roo said:

Nonsense. How China behaves has nothing to do with it. China can blame US all it likes, but it would never excuse the tit-for-tat bad faith of "Chinese virus" as an acceptable moniker.

It's definitely not nonsense, and how China behaves does indeed have a lot to do with it, since their behavior involves spreading misinformation about a global pandemic after fucking it all up Chernobyl style. When Trump does something shitty, it's shitty. When China does something shitty, it's also shitty. 

Also, lol at the Chinese government calling people racist. 

Edited by Candiru
  • Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, Candiru said:

It's definitely not nonsense, and how China behaves does indeed have a lot to do with it, since their behavior involves spreading misinformation about a global pandemic after fucking it all up Chernobyl style. 

"Chinese virus" is never justified. It is why the rest of the world reaches for the ignore button whenever the US talks about Iran or China or Russia or Mexico. Once there is a sense of open conflict, the objectivity disintegrates into propaganda. Rise above the misinformation rather than joining it and don't dumb down the issue.

I'm a China academic, and am well aware of Chinese nationalism and the rhetoric and logical fallacies involved there. But you see it to some degree everywhere.

"Chinese virus" at the moment is basically waving a flag saying "I want to dumb down the issue"

Edited by Roo
  • Thanks 2

anarchist perspective on COVID-19

https://crimethinc.com/2020/03/12/against-the-coronavirus-and-the-opportunism-of-the-state-anarchists-in-italy-report-on-the-spread-of-the-virus-and-the-quarantine

Viruses don’t respect the invented borders of the state. This one is already inside the US, where health care is much less widely and evenly distributed than it is in most of Europe. All this time, as the virus spread, service industry workers have been forced to continue putting themselves at risk in order to pay their bills. To eliminate the pressures that coerce people into such dangerous decisions, we would have to do away with the system that creates such drastic inequality in the first place. The poor, the homeless, and others who live in unsanitary conditions or without access to decent health care are always the worst hit by any crisis—and the impact on them puts everyone else at greater risk, spreading the contagion further and faster. Not even the wealthiest of the wealthy can isolate themselves completely from a virus like this, as illustrated by the circulation of the virus in the upper echelons of the Republican Party. In short—the prevailing order is not in anyone’s best interest, not even those who benefit from it most.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1