3 hours ago, yekker said:

Talked to my landlord ( who im friends with?? ) about maybe helping me out if i get laid off

He goes" i can't afford it. I know you have money. If you need help ask your parents. That would be like stealing from me etc etc 

3 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

Kill your fucking landlord oh my god.

If he evicts you post his contact and personal info. Lynch the fucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcW8VNwYvL0

if it comes up again remind him that you're the one with a real job and he can suck it up and wait

FFS even Trump and the US government have called for evictions to be exempted right now

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, goDel said:

In case people were wondering, this is more about diplomatic  bullying between China and Us than it is about racism or Trump being an idiot. This is what diplomacy has become in the age of Trump. And it goes both ways btw.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/18/coronavirus-china-trade-136188

That it may also enhance some racist tendencies can almost be seen like a byproduct. There's an argument here, obviously. But the narrative that Trump is simply being racist (and doesn't know what hes doing) is oblivious to the fact it's a conscious part of this diplomatic bullying thats been going on for a while now, as far as I'm concerned. 

good point, last day of work we were talking about it, one of my coworkers was puzzled why people were upset at it being "racist when it's from China" and I said that isn't the crux of the issue. the reason Trump harps on the Chinese angle is to distract from his dismissal of the virus for weeks and weeks. the original framing of it was "it's in China and it's their problem" then "it's in Asia and it's their problem" then "it's in the EU and it's there problem" etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_58ZMe364

Edited by joshuatxuk
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

good point, last day of work we were talking about it, one of my coworkers was puzzled why people were upset at it being "racist when it's from China" and I said that isn't the crux of the issue. the reason Trump harps on the Chinese angle is to distract from his dismissal of the virus for weeks and weeks. the original framing of it was "it's in China and it's their problem" then "it's in Asia and it's their problem" then "it's in the EU and it's there problem" etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_58ZMe364

• Facepalm 3

Well, a Chinese diplomat tried blaming the virus on the US military bringing it over there. And then people end up believing that. Just like they're getting the virus under control, right? They want people to sympathize with them over the US. 

Apparently, China uses accusations of racism to stall investigations into a PLA, CCP whatever person getting caught committing crimes in the US by getting the attention of journalists, lawyers, etc and it can be quite effective. Pure crocodile tears from a much crueler country. Something to keep in mind when everyone is talking about how offended they are by the "Chinese Virus". 

I mean, yeah, we all hate Trump, but there are other ways of looking at this that the public doesn't usually see. 

• Facepalm 1

Yekker, this is for you: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Also how to wash your hands:

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Candiru said:

Well, a Chinese diplomat tried blaming the virus on the US military bringing it over there. And then people end up believing that. Just like they're getting the virus under control, right? They want people to sympathize with them over the US. 

Apparently, China uses accusations of racism to stall investigations into a PLA, CCP whatever person getting caught committing crimes in the US by getting the attention of journalists, lawyers, etc and it can be quite effective. Pure crocodile tears from a much crueler country. Something to keep in mind when everyone is talking about how offended they are by the "Chinese Virus". 

I mean, yeah, we all hate Trump, but there are other ways of looking at this that the public doesn't usually see. 

Nonsense. How China behaves has nothing to do with it. China can blame US all it likes, but it would never excuse the tit-for-tat bad faith of "Chinese virus" as an acceptable moniker.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Roo said:

Nonsense. How China behaves has nothing to do with it. China can blame US all it likes, but it would never excuse the tit-for-tat bad faith of "Chinese virus" as an acceptable moniker.

It's definitely not nonsense, and how China behaves does indeed have a lot to do with it, since their behavior involves spreading misinformation about a global pandemic after fucking it all up Chernobyl style. When Trump does something shitty, it's shitty. When China does something shitty, it's also shitty. 

Also, lol at the Chinese government calling people racist. 

Edited by Candiru
  • Facepalm 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Candiru said:

It's definitely not nonsense, and how China behaves does indeed have a lot to do with it, since their behavior involves spreading misinformation about a global pandemic after fucking it all up Chernobyl style. 

"Chinese virus" is never justified. It is why the rest of the world reaches for the ignore button whenever the US talks about Iran or China or Russia or Mexico. Once there is a sense of open conflict, the objectivity disintegrates into propaganda. Rise above the misinformation rather than joining it and don't dumb down the issue.

I'm a China academic, and am well aware of Chinese nationalism and the rhetoric and logical fallacies involved there. But you see it to some degree everywhere.

"Chinese virus" at the moment is basically waving a flag saying "I want to dumb down the issue"

Edited by Roo
  • Thanks 2

• Haha 5

anarchist perspective on COVID-19

https://crimethinc.com/2020/03/12/against-the-coronavirus-and-the-opportunism-of-the-state-anarchists-in-italy-report-on-the-spread-of-the-virus-and-the-quarantine

Viruses don’t respect the invented borders of the state. This one is already inside the US, where health care is much less widely and evenly distributed than it is in most of Europe. All this time, as the virus spread, service industry workers have been forced to continue putting themselves at risk in order to pay their bills. To eliminate the pressures that coerce people into such dangerous decisions, we would have to do away with the system that creates such drastic inequality in the first place. The poor, the homeless, and others who live in unsanitary conditions or without access to decent health care are always the worst hit by any crisis—and the impact on them puts everyone else at greater risk, spreading the contagion further and faster. Not even the wealthiest of the wealthy can isolate themselves completely from a virus like this, as illustrated by the circulation of the virus in the upper echelons of the Republican Party. In short—the prevailing order is not in anyone’s best interest, not even those who benefit from it most.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

This is crazy stuff, im glad to have my health for now and can only hope that all my loved ones and their loved ones do the same

Meanwhile in isolation, the bedroom rave intensifies

• Like 3

4 hours ago, manmower said:

image.png.fdd0d98d9e5708d33e395e4abbd17ac5.png

I guess that confirms it. 

It is washable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just read on my local news that a big spreader of the virus is on gas pump handles and shopping cart handles. Make sure you are wearing disposable gloves or use a paper towel and then throw it away immediately when you are finished using either handle.

8 minutes ago, Entorwellian said:

Just read on my local news that a big spreader of the virus is on gas pump handles and shopping cart handles. Make sure you are wearing disposable gloves or use a paper towel and then throw it away immediately when you are finished using either handle.

Yep. I've avoided baskets and trolleys for a while now. Put stuff straight in my own bags then i know I have capacity to carry it out after I've paid.

8 minutes ago, Entorwellian said:

As an existing germaphobe, that would seem obvious to me. After a supermarket or petrol station run, I'd rather cut off my hands than touch my face or handle food before the nearest handwash salvation. My hands rarely feel seedier.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

Yep. I've avoided baskets and trolleys for a while now. Put stuff straight in my own bags then i know I have capacity to carry it out after I've paid.

Same here (apart from the paying bit) ?

6 minutes ago, ooqpoo said:

Same here (apart from the paying bit) ?

the store i go to has the sterile wipes next to the carts. they've had them there for years. but i'm going to bring a papertowel or something and get all phobic about it next time. 

btw.. the tracking site chart is getting scary in the USA

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441

ebcfb388-6ae3-11ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3?fit

don't think that graph presents meaningful information though. there's a structural underreporting because people aren't being tested. and you'd rather see a "per capita" on the y-axis. US and Spain look equally severe, but these are vastly different countries in population-size. That's apples and oranges. don't think ft is doing a good service here.

for some data and graphics i prefer

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it didn't actually start in China. Maybe the DNC created it to kill Bernie and it got out of hand. 

• Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

That's it! The GOP successfully targeted HRC during 2016 elections to have a pneumonia. This time, the DEMs are on it and the entire world is on the receiving end!

Thanks, Democrats. Finally showing some global impact with your policies.

* signs up for breitbart and infowars *

Japan killing it as always. Hikkikomori coming through clutch.

• Burger 1

9 hours ago, manmower said:

image.png.fdd0d98d9e5708d33e395e4abbd17ac5.png

Avoid Everything

AE

7 minutes ago, jules said:

Avoid Everything

AE

New album title confirmed!

Can Asians like takeover the world already lol? They seem to know what they are doing. Especially given the US trajectory looks like the worst yet.

Japan were the first of the developed economies to disproportionately grey as well, so a high percentage of the population would be demographically vulnerable.

Didn't the Spanish Flu start in Kansas or something?

• Facepalm 2