IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

2 minutes ago, xox said:

?

Do you know what medicine are they giving him?

i don't.. it's all happening in Hastings, UK where he lives. hard to get in touch atm... amazed my gran is still "not sick" but she's terribly upset and alone in all of this.

• Sad 6

39 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

i don't.. it's all happening in Hastings, UK where he lives. hard to get in touch atm... amazed my gran is still "not sick" but she's terribly upset and alone in all of this.

In Croatia we started to give chloroquine (antimalaric with antiviral properties) and sam primarily anti-retroviral medications to older patients or/and chronically ill patients. Try to get in touch with his doctor and ask him about that.

azithromycin (antibiotic with antiviral properties) also helps, especially in combination with chloroquine

Edited by xox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, d-a-m-o said:

Don't want to go full tinfoil hat on you, but there's an old article (february 23/ 2017) of a trusted french paper (le point)  about a P4 lab opening in Wuhan (it was a collaboration with France, there's a p4 lab in Lyon) here's the link for french readers https://www.lepoint.fr/monde/epidemies-nouvelle-etape-pour-le-premier-laboratoire-p4-chinois-23-02-2017-2106936_24.php

The P4 lab in Wuhan conspiracy theory seems to have started on a finance bro forum called ZeroHedge. Not going to both posting links to it but you can search for zerohedge coronavirus conspiracy theory to see where all that came from.

Edited by hijexx
dupe

58 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

pick up the phone. even when i don't know what to say to someone when some kind of family  emergency is going i try to call and just chat until it turns into a conversation about anything else but the immediate situation. it doesn't work all the time but with my mom i takes about ten minutes before we catch up about all kinds of things and i hear all about the minute details of her days. i guess the end result is just feeling a little closer since i'm on the other side of the country. 

unrelated - pro tip - don't take your temperature after a hot shower. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hijexx said:

The P4 lab in Wuhan conspiracy theory seems to have started on a finance bro forum called ZeroHedge. Not going to both posting links to it but you can search for zerohedge coronavirus conspiracy theory to see where all that came from.

There have been many newspaper stories saying that the theory that SARS-CoV-2 escaped from the Wuhan virology lab has been debunked. As evidence for that, the newspaper stories say that the genome of SARS-CoV-2 closely resembles naturally occurring viruses found in bats. I think this evidence does actually not debunk anything. It can only take a minor modification of a naturally occurring genome to make it more infections or pathogenic and there is no way to detect that this genome has been edited by sequencing data alone.

46 minutes ago, ghsotword said:

There have been many newspaper stories saying that the theory that SARS-CoV-2 escaped from the Wuhan virology lab has been debunked. As evidence for that, the newspaper stories say that the genome of SARS-CoV-2 closely resembles naturally occurring viruses found in bats. I think this evidence does actually not debunk anything. It can only take a minor modification of a naturally occurring genome to make it more infections or pathogenic and there is no way to detect that this genome has been edited by sequencing data alone.

All this means is that the conspiracy theory is epistemically unfalsifiable.  That fact does not mean by itself that it's true, or even likely.  You can always fall back and say it was produced in an undetectable underground biological research facility, but there's no proof, there's no actual evidence of it.  The fact that it can't be disproven doesn't mean anything.

If anything, it means that our society is programmable just as much as any computer, because our bodies are.  The fact that this theoretically could be done is scary and should scare you.  And it should make us completely reorient our society around that eternal risk.  As long as we have bodies, this same risk exists.

Edited by Zeffolia
  • Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, Zeffolia said:

All this means is that the conspiracy theory is epistemically unfalsifiable.  That fact does not mean by itself that it's true, or even likely.  You can always fall back and say it was produced in an undetectable underground biological research facility, but there's no proof, there's no actual evidence of it.  The fact that it can't be disproven doesn't mean anything.

If anything, it means that our society is programmable just as much as any computer, because our bodies are.  The fact that this theoretically could be done is scary and should scare you.  And it should make us completely reorient our society around that eternal risk.  As long as we have bodies, this same risk exists.

The Wuhan lab still seems suspicious to me. They were previously involved in research where a bat coronavirus was genetically modified and found to be more pathogenic after inducing the mutation. Here's a link to the research paper from them from 2015:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26552008
The main research was done in the USA but Wuhan Institute of Virology people were co-authors.
Overall though, you're right, based on what is publicly known, it is simply not possible to tell where the virus came from. The theory that the outbreak originated from the virology lab can be neither proven or disproven.

15 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

Hey Rubin how are you faring during all of this? You don't have to worry about unemployment or sick people around your immediate vicinity?

About to depart for my mom's house on Monday to check on them.  Current location and occupants seem to be in denial and don't want to follow the recommended hygenic guidelines.  Loaded up with supplies and camping gear if something unforseen happens.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

About to depart for my mom's house on Monday to check on them.  Current location and occupants seem to be in denial and dont want to follow the recommended hygenic guidelines.  Loaded up with supplies and camping gear if something unforseen happens.

Good being proactive!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IDEM said:

The urge to touch my face has never been so overwhelming.

dont touch your face

wait why does my nose itch

wait my entire face is itching, has it ever itched this bad before? i cant remember now

maybe one itch is safe, if its through my clothes

wait is my washer machine infected?

• Haha 1

Very much agreed. I so want us to learn from this revealing experience and not just return to the exact same late-capitalism society of 2 months ago, but power just has an inevitable way of corrupting good intentions and sending influence deeper and deeper into subliminal territory until our sense of reality and history and free will distorts. American imperialism has been increasingly evil over the last two centuries, they've made a mess of the world like most imperialists before them. Mexico, Panama, Guatemala, West Papua, Middle East in general, etc. just absolute assholes. And new assholes, whether China or some tech conglomerate or post-Mad Max barbarism society, is just waiting in the wings to repeat the same old under different complexions.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mesh Gear Fox said:

i wonder how long it will take for a country's leadership to topple due to unrest over this issue. or has it already happened?

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”
 Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

• Burger 1

if you were to release this on purpose to destabilize other nations you'd make a vaccine first for your own people. Then release it.

Oh and don't wear masks.