IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

10 hours ago, pcock said:

Did anyone else know that swine flu infected an estimated 20 percent of the world population? I barely even remember thinking about it

killed Trish Keenan of Broadcast

Keenan died unexpectedly in January 2011 of pneumonia, shortly after she had contracted swine flu while completing a tour of Australia with Broadcast.

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, hello spiral said:

I started to get a bit of a cough on my very last nightshift of the week, last Sunday. Then on Monday I got a bit of a temperature but it never developed into a full blown fever. Now I just have a bit of a cough, very slight, and my sinuses are infected I guess. They're wide open (ie not swollen shut) but I can't smell anything and my sense of taste is 80% missing.

Yeah as you say, if there was no constant news updates on this thing I would just be coughing and spluttering everywhere. As it is you're very very self conscious about having to cough in public and suppress it. 

Also, I live with 7 other people and share communal space + kitchen + 2xBathrooms with them. Also also I am in Westminster which was the 2nd highest place in the UK for cases a few days ago.

taste and smell mentioned in this thread

• Burger 1

1 hour ago, joshuatxuk said:

killed Trish Keenan of Broadcast

That's a little disturbing. I went to a handful of shows in Sydney that 2010/11 summer. Felt like Swine Flu had completely left the news by then, wouldn't have even thought about it. Unlucky.

Perhaps we could all organise a date and time to all come online and pray together?

My thoughts and prayers are with my landlord and when my local pub will open.

I actually went to see Aphex Twin live with my landlord, which seems quite bizarre. We were on drugs. His wife doesn't know.

What happen on tour, stays on tour ?

Edited by beer badger
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roo said:

That picture of the Bondi beach crowds might be one of the finest examples in recent memory of the context of an image. Normally a picture of a big crowd on a sunny day enjoying the beach is a sign of wellbeing, idyllic lifestyle, prosperity, togetherness, etc. But on this particular day, it was something bordering on communal atrocity, an act of complete recklessness which forced the hand of subsequent government measures. Like an enforced collective sick day and being caught in the act out and about.

Future historians will treasure its textual interpretative power (as well as many others like the French revellers and the airport queues, but something about that Bondi image feels exceptional to me).

This resembles this Soviet painting from 1975: it's an idyllic picnic scene but the text on the painting says "danger".

spacer.png

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Roo said:

I was under the wrong impression that George Takei died in the last 2-3 years, so his recent statements have been mindbending for me.

Grateful he's still around, the man is a treasure.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 4:46 AM, diatoms said:

I'm in remission from cancer almost 27 years

I eat Rick Simpson Oil

and Dab Distillate

keeps me Healthy and my lungs clear:)

i propose a nationwide relaxation on cannabis prohibition post-virus, if nothing else to restimulate the economy. perhaps with one caveat, you can only grow your own body-weight in cannabis!?

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

American white supremacists discussed trying to use COVID-19 in spray bottles as a bioweapon against minorities:

https://www.complex.com/life/2020/03/white-supremacists-reportedly-discussed-weaponizing-coronavirus

they're that dumb they'd probably end up spraying it in their own faces

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ghsotword said:

This resembles this Soviet painting from 1975: it's an idyllic picnic scene but the text on the painting says "danger".

spacer.png

not sure why, but i imagine Vic Reeves saying, 'ONACHO' in the vein of 'ERANU'

cringe.

oh re: white supremacists and spray bottles..yeah.. i'm sure they'd do it all in laboratory like conditions and none of them would accidentally infect themselves or their families. ? 

3 hours ago, mycospherologyst said:
On 3/20/2020 at 4:46 AM, diatoms said:

I'm in remission from cancer almost 27 years

I eat Rick Simpson Oil

and Dab Distillate

keeps me Healthy and my lungs clear:)

i propose a nationwide relaxation on cannabis prohibition post-virus, if nothing else to restimulate the economy. perhaps with one caveat, you can only grow your own body-weight in cannabis!?

I need to start eating:)

• Haha 1

breaking now:

senator rand paul tests positive.

here he is at GOP lunch on friday

here's mitt romney saying he may self quarantine

this as the senate trying to finish stimulus legislation 

and... now word emerges paul was in the senate pool and gym this morning

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

It's official my State OHIO has shut down all non-essential businesses and is mandating everyone "Stay At Home".  Not sure if this will affect me though as i'm in the concrete industry and i think construction is considered essential.

• Like 1

The irony of Romney saying he may self-quarantine while he is talking with various journalists. Ehm, weren't you supposed to not be in direct contact...just in case?

Anywho, hope Paul keeps it together.

• Like 1