Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

https://revolutionaryleftradio.libsyn.com/thinking-through-the-crisis-coronavirus-capitalism-and-the-future

 

  1. All Episodes
  2. Thinking Through The Crisis: Coronavirus, Capitalism, and The Future

On this emergency crossover episode of Red Menace and Rev Left Radio, Alyson and Breht discuss COVID-19, what the best models are predicting, what the response of the US State and capitalist class is, what the Left can do, what the future looks like, and much, much more. 

Edited by Zeffolia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

 

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”
 Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Dominic Cummings loves this line

Expecting global societies to reset after this is at best naive. Expect some measures, but the empires will remain even if they change hands pass the parcel style some time this century 

“The Empire never ended” - PKD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

Dominic Cummings loves this line

Expecting global societies to reset after this is at best naive. Expect some measures, but the empires will remain even if they change hands pass the parcel style some time this century 

“The Empire never ended” - PKD

It's not about this, it's about what this is a test run for.  Climate change.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking News:
We should ban the "Facepalm" reaction emoticon on WATMM, because it touches its face with its hands.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Zeffolia said:

It's not about this, it's about what this is a test run for.  Climate change.

Aren’t you the bloke who, rightly or wrongly, has droned on about wanting a United Marxist States of America, even if that’s the country least likely to move in such a direction & (forgive me if I’m wrong here) you aren’t even a citizen there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That picture of the Bondi beach crowds might be one of the finest examples in recent memory of the context of an image. Normally a picture of a big crowd on a sunny day enjoying the beach is a sign of wellbeing, idyllic lifestyle, prosperity, togetherness, etc. But on this particular day, it was something bordering on communal atrocity, an act of complete recklessness which forced the hand of subsequent government measures. Like an enforced collective sick day and being caught in the act out and about.

Future historians will treasure its textual interpretative power (as well as many others like the French revellers and the airport queues, but something about that Bondi image feels exceptional to me).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, marf said:

if you were to release this on purpose to destabilize other nations you'd make a vaccine first for your own people. Then release it.

No, just for the "important" ones among your own people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ignatius said:

aWfuLLy qUiEt In RuSsIa

Russia is covering it up by classifying tons of cases as "pneumonia"

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/why-russia-reporting-few-covid-19-cases-cover-164300102--abc-news-topstories.html

 

Iran refusing US help, bc they still think we created it:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-leader-refuses-u-help-112416497.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ignatius said:

aWfuLLy qUiEt In RuSsIa

Just Putin securing another decade or so on the Czar’s throne

To quote Father Ted protest placards, “down with that sort of thing” & “careful now” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Russia is covering it up by classifying tons of cases as "pneumonia"

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/why-russia-reporting-few-covid-19-cases-cover-164300102--abc-news-topstories.html

 

Iran refusing US help, bc they still think we created it:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-leader-refuses-u-help-112416497.html

If I was Iran I'd be refusing US 'help' as well.

  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pcock said:

Did anyone else know that swine flu infected an estimated 20 percent of the world population? I barely even remember thinking about it

 killed Trish Keenan of Broadcast

Quote

Keenan died unexpectedly in January 2011 of pneumonia, shortly after she had contracted swine flu while completing a tour of Australia with Broadcast.

 

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was lucky enough to see her perform once.  RIP

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hello spiral said:

I started to get a bit of a cough on my very last nightshift of the week, last Sunday. Then on Monday I got a bit of a temperature but it never developed into a full blown fever. Now I just have a bit of a cough, very slight, and my sinuses are infected I guess. They're wide open (ie not swollen shut) but I can't smell anything and my sense of taste is 80% missing.

Yeah as you say, if there was no constant news updates on this thing I would just be coughing and spluttering everywhere. As it is you're very very self conscious about having to cough in public and suppress it. 

Also, I live with 7 other people and share communal space + kitchen + 2xBathrooms with them. Also also I am in Westminster which was the 2nd highest place in the UK for cases a few days ago.

taste and smell mentioned in this thread

 

  • Burger 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had a funny bitter metallic taste in my mouth for about 2 days. gone now though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joshuatxuk said:

 killed Trish Keenan of Broadcast

 

That's a little disturbing. I went to a handful of shows in Sydney that 2010/11 summer. Felt like Swine Flu had completely left the news by then, wouldn't have even thought about it. Unlucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, pcock said:

i had a funny bitter metallic taste in my mouth for about 2 days. gone now though.

3.6 roentgen. Not great not terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FlyLo was in Australia over 2010/11 new years from memory.

Edited by Roo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was under the wrong impression that George Takei died in the last 2-3 years, so his recent statements have been mindbending for me.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Perhaps we could all organise a date and time to all come online and pray together?

My thoughts and prayers are with my landlord and when my local pub will open.

I actually went to see Aphex Twin live with my landlord, which seems quite bizarre. We were on drugs. His wife doesn't know.

What happen on tour, stays on tour ?

 

Edited by beer badger
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roo said:

That picture of the Bondi beach crowds might be one of the finest examples in recent memory of the context of an image. Normally a picture of a big crowd on a sunny day enjoying the beach is a sign of wellbeing, idyllic lifestyle, prosperity, togetherness, etc. But on this particular day, it was something bordering on communal atrocity, an act of complete recklessness which forced the hand of subsequent government measures. Like an enforced collective sick day and being caught in the act out and about.

Future historians will treasure its textual interpretative power (as well as many others like the French revellers and the airport queues, but something about that Bondi image feels exceptional to me).

This resembles this Soviet painting from 1975: it's an idyllic picnic scene but the text on the painting says "danger".

spacer.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Roo said:

I was under the wrong impression that George Takei died in the last 2-3 years, so his recent statements have been mindbending for me.

Grateful he's still around, the man is a treasure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 4:46 AM, diatoms said:

I'm in remission from cancer almost 27 years

I eat Rick Simpson Oil

and Dab Distillate

keeps me Healthy and my lungs clear:)

i propose a nationwide relaxation on cannabis prohibition post-virus, if nothing else to restimulate the economy. perhaps with one caveat, you can only grow your own body-weight in cannabis!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...