29 minutes ago, Zeffolia said:

owning a house and living in it is personal property, it's private property when the landlord owns it.

Sorry but no: personal property is moveable - even in Marxist terms. Real estate is not moveable.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, ignatius said:

oof.  maybe i didn't read the rule book but that sounds like some serious hair splitting to me. 

there is certainly a difference between societal and individual goals here in America. in many places reconciling them is a real issue. many people are only aware of their individual goals. 

the bolded point is not hair splitting, it is integral to what private property means.  private property is property which is only attributable due to the threat of state violence enforcing the ownership dissimilarity across groups of people.  personal property however can be maintained by an individual, even created by an individual, and thus requires no violence to exist.  whereas private property requires violence, through the creation of economic conditions, once again under the threat of state violence to enforce said private property rights, to generate wage slaves to defend the privately owned building (one large enough to be considered private property, like an office building or factory) etc.

25 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Sorry but no: personal property is moveable - even in Marxist terms. Real estate is not moveable.

no, even from his own words in the most basic text

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/download/pdf/Manifesto.pdf

We Communists have been reproached with the desire of abolishing the right of personally acquiring property as the fruit of a man’s own labour, which property is alleged to be the groundwork of all personal freedom, activity and independence. Hard-won, self-acquired, self-earned property! Do you mean the property of petty artisan and of the small peasant, a form of property that preceded the bourgeois form? There is no need to abolish that; the development of industry has to a great extent already destroyed it, and is still destroying it daily.

Edited by Zeffolia

Multnomah Falls is a very accessible big pretty waterfall 30 minutes from portland. They’re closing the parking lot and the entire falls area which is 7 or 8 other falls because People aren’t social distancing.

a425f6d30236f805bde59ae9cba3df2c.jpg

f7ece5fb538dd5e153cd9e01210602e5.jpg

• Like 1

Wondering now what I would have done if this virus had struck a year earlier when I was traveling homeless around Africa, Middle-East, Caucasus and Asia.. I guess I would have tried to find a place that is cheap to live and grants long term visas easily or don't have visa requirements for EU citizens and where I can remain indefinitely, like the French overseas territories. And then just basically waited. But yeah.. maybe I should make sure that anytime I go traveling like that I have enough money to last a few months if I get stuck somewhere for a longer time.

I probs should check on my friend who escaped the virus from Japan to French Polynesia..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, milkface said:

Got a friend who now lives in Israel who told me that he went out for a walk yesterday afternoon and received a call from the police telling him to self isolate. They came to his flat the morning after to check whether he was in but he hasn't got the slightest clue how they were able to do that since he has a UK number right now. Can the police even see location services on phones?

Quick edit: It was 1 or 2 days after he came back to Israel from the UK so maybe something got flagged up and they called him to tell him to stay inside and the fact that he was on a walk was a coincidence?

Israel has unit 8200 and has one of the most advanced signals intelligence capabilities on the planet. A cell phone is basically a radio beacon with a GPS that people willingly carry around on their person at all times. Child's play to track.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Israel has unit 8200 and has one of the most advanced signals intelligence capabilities on the planet. A cell phone is basically a radio beacon with a GPS that people willingly carry around on their person at all times. Child's play to track.

The cellphone network knows your approximate location all the time the phone is in the network even without GPS functionality. This is basically because the network needs to know into which network cell to forward your data and calls. It doesn't matter if you have foreign or native SIM or whatever. If you are just connected to the network then the location is known.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zkom said:

The cellphone network knows your approximate location all the time the phone is in the network even without GPS functionality. This is basically because the network needs to know into which network cell to forward your data and calls. It doesn't matter if you have foreign or native SIM or whatever. If you are just connected to the network then the location is known.

I did not say GPS was required to track.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Right. Taking medical advice from Business Insider.

As quoted on an IDM forum.

STOP SCARING PEOPLE.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

the bolded point is not hair splitting, it is integral to what private property means.  private property is property which is only attributable due to the threat of state violence enforcing the ownership dissimilarity across groups of people.  personal property however can be maintained by an individual, even created by an individual, and thus requires no violence to exist.  whereas private property requires violence, through the creation of economic conditions, once again under the threat of state violence to enforce said private property rights, to generate wage slaves to defend the privately owned building (one large enough to be considered private property, like an office building or factory) etc.

no, even from his own words in the most basic text

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/download/pdf/Manifesto.pdf

sorry but it still sounds like bullshit to me. Do banks not count as being 'violent'? it's just swapping a landlord for a banker. the distinction between private/personal property just sounds like horse shit or something that requires buying into a set of terms w/o thinking about very much. like i said.. i haven't read the manual so maybe there's hundreds of pages on this that someone explains in classic academic bullshittery.. but i'm not buying it. sorry. 

as you were. 

Posted (edited)

The more you speak, the weaker you sound

Best go get the gimp

*ohhh ahhh hurrrghh oooouch fuuuck*

yeah I enjoyed that

*high five*

Edited by beer badger
  • Confused 1
  • Burger 1

i agree. the cure should be better than the problem instead of being worse- or being equal to the problem. otherwise, we'd just call it "not the cure"

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

19 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Right. Taking medical advice from Business Insider.

As quoted on an IDM forum.

STOP SCARING PEOPLE.

except those are my symptoms tho

me injecting the cure: “ah nice I’m much worse now”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 2
  • Farnsworth 2

Posted (edited)

It's been a fun day, definitely feels like some sort of incoming apocalypse, which I guess is kind of interesting.

I did hear on LBC today, and I guess their news source is kind of trusted that in 5 days time in the UK 300 people a day will be admitted to hospital, of which every 100 will die.

I could actually hear the fear in the presenters voice when she said it. 

Happy days 🍾

Edited by beer badger

My take on Corona: Many tours are cancelled, musicians will spend their time in production. Shittons of muzack

17 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

except those are my symptoms tho

Dr. Kumar says “...that these viruses are lodging in the nose”.

so you can either start charging them rent to cover the lodging or you can dislodge them by doing massive ketamine rails. 

• Haha 2
  • Burger 1

1 minute ago, chenGOD said:

so you can either start charging them rent to cover the lodging or you can dislodge them by doing massive ketamine rails. 

See, *this* is the kind of medical advice we should be peddling.

• Thanks 1

Maybe a strong course of dissociatives would be helpful. Daily regimen of salvia followed by alternating weekends of PCP and Ketamine would cause the virus to dissociate from our bodies. 
what could go wrong??

34 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

i agree. the cure should be better than the problem instead of being worse- or being equal to the problem. otherwise, we'd just call it "not the cure"

I guess that means OK Boomers wont get treated, from now on? Otherwise, the cure might be worse than the problem itself. Amirite!?

Also, after three beer my sense of taste and smell stop exist as well. Does alcohol cause COVID-19?

(not that corona joke!... huhuhu)

A summit on 6G technology was held completely virtually with 400 people attending due to covid-19. Hopefully this becomes more normal in the future in the tech industry. So much of the business travel is completely unnecessary and the meetings could be easily held virtually. #EndBusinessTravel2020

• Like 4

Confirmed cases in my city pretty much doubled in my city last night (bringing the count to...13.) So 32 total confirmed in Alaska now. Guess I'm lucky we're relatively isolated, but we still need to suspend all non-essential travel or meetings of any form.

Just now, chenGOD said:

Master Yoda approves