https://seagrave.bandcamp.com/album/zns

From the bandcamp site:

SDEM releases have emerged on CPU, Opal Tapes and his own MEDS platform. Mostly archival, his Seagrave album ‘ZNS’ (or ‘Zones’) describes much less a careful log of experiments conducted over a 15 year period, as an assemblage of electronic maps, a charting of ulterior paths half-followed, impersonal ‘zones’ traversed, mechanical entanglements undertaken and hallucinogenic spaces weathered. 

With its cartographic charm, ZNS also confirms that persistent dialogue between visual culture and a rugged approach to drum computers that was, of course, given its boldest expression with graffiti innovation back in the halcyon days of electro and hip-hop. Despite citing the Griselda label as a tonal reference, for SDEM, his project is best construed in terms of mood and intensity rather than easy cultural codes or signifiers. Twenty or so years since Rawkus’ defining image of ‘Soundbombing’ and the hyper-kinetic wildstyle process of Autechre’s output, there’s only the uncertain glow of the past at work here, and which back-lights any present struggle to make and re-make the future anew. 

Tempering progressive pattern work with the grainy echoes of obsolescence, ZNS partially expresses the frustration with what seems possible in synthetic sound design two decades into a new century: Across these 21 eclectic sound-pieces, synthetic forces cycle and slam, skitter and jolt; diffused through swarms of painterly pads and technical drones, obliterated vox mug for available space over massively compressed breaks and cracked drum machine clap. 

At times brooding, at times banging, ZNS is more than simply a satisfying study in interference patterns and computer downrock. Ultimately, it is a collection inspired by a desire to crash out of the recognisable towards something wholly 21st Century, scrambling the codes towards a blaze of post-generic collisions. 

zns.jpg

• Like 6

not bad, i liked a bit of the first half but was a little too much of just sketches at times. second half got really good though, may have to pick up the digital

• Like 1

Really enjoyed this.  The sketch concept reminds me of a higher tech version of the REQ album they released last year.

• Like 1

I agree on the second half being the standout, but overall I really liked the whole thing.  A track or two reminded me of his release on Opal Tapes, IIRC, which is a bonus for me because I really liked that release.  Great range overall

• Like 1

Just managed to check out the first half of this. Ace production, managed to keep my interest as sort of background music. Not complaining.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 6:48 AM, auxien said:

not bad, i liked a bit of the first half but was a little too much of just sketches at times. second half got really good though, may have to pick up the digital

first half was better on the second listen: i think maybe because i knew what to expect with it. second half is still great. really good way to start the year  :music:

• 4 weeks later...

yeah this is really good front to back. bit of surface and a bit of depth and all quality

Just realised I never got my tape(s), and I ordered it weeks ago

Just messaged them via BC

• Sad 1
  • 1 month later...
23 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

edit :

Capture d’écran 2020-04-17 à 16.44.09.png

yeh, just to clear up any confusion over this ..
any orders for tape edition done via the seagrave bandcamp will get shipped..  ASAP / as soon as its safe to do so .
any preorders done thru online record shops wont get fulfilled unfortunately .. Sorry..
UNLESS they were done through Norman Records, who will still get some copies - around the same time as the bandcamp ones go out.. make sense?

apologies for delays etc but the global scenario is a bit mental obviously. cheers ✌️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...
On 4/22/2020 at 8:33 AM, d-a-m-o said:

This album is dope.