IGNORED

How does the World view China these days?

auxien

seems worth discussing the various news bits and pieces that pop up about China regularly

The image of one pyjama wearer published by the local authority (blurred by the BBC)

Government officials in Suzhou in Anhui province released pictures of seven people wearing their nightwear, calling it "uncivilised behaviour".

The online "shaming" included the pyjama picture - caught by surveillance cameras - plus the person's name, ID card and other information.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51188669

Dirty, disorganised, smelly, with terrible food and hygiene. Genuine people, uninterested in improving their government. Some stunning scenery, great tea. Taiwan is the goof China, and even that's not great.

I work in various parts of China at least once per month. Sucks.

1 hour ago, zkom said:

*just waiting for some sweeping generalizations about a multiethnic nation with a population of 1.4 billion*

Yeah, no shit we have to make generalisations when talking about a nation. There’s nothing wrong with that. You would rather address all 1.4billion individually? What a nonsense comment. 

1 minute ago, 714681746476436 said:

Yeah, no shit we have to make generalisations when talking about a nation. There’s nothing wrong with that. You would rather address all 1.4billion individually? What a nonsense comment. 

What I mean China is more diverse than most other countries. I would say more so than say US. If I say all people in US are gun toting rednecks who support Trump, would that be fair?

China is much more diverse than people think and imo that view is partially the fault of the Chinese government who likes to paint a picture of a homogenous Han China under strict control of the central government when it's far from the reality.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zkom said:

What I mean China is more diverse than most other countries. I would say more so than say US. If I say all people in US are gun toting rednecks who support Trump, would that be fair?

China is much more diverse than people think and imo that view is partially the fault of the Chinese government who likes to paint a picture of a homogenous Han China under strict control of the central government when it's far from the reality.

I don't believe it to be more diverse than anywhere else I've been. Generally I'm the only non-chinese man within 100 miles and I've never seen a black dude there either. In my experience the Chinese people are quite united - fucked governments tend to do that to people. There's still very little outside influence on China, they're just int interested (unless they can make money from you).

I've probably spent ~ a year of my life in various parts of China. You want diverse, come to the UK or France or Germany. 

their gov't is fucked up. most governments are to come degree but wtf. they've detained perhaps a million people who are ethnic muslims.. rapes, organ harvesting.. all kinds of bad shit going on w/those. 

the 1 child policy fucked things up for a long time. still is. they'll deal w/the aftermath of that for generations. many more boys than girls for a generation right? 

huge country. 1.4 billion people. could be better.. could be worse. rising middle class. at least they're doing something about climate change though ay? 

it's a weird sort of authoritarian capitalism. not gonna pretend i understand the place because i've watched some documentaries.

1 minute ago, 714681746476436 said:

I don't believe it to be more diverse than anywhere else I've been. Generally I'm the only non-chinese man within 100 miles and I've never seen a black dude there either. In my experience the Chinese people are quite united - fucked governments tend to do that to people. There's still very little outside influence on China, they're just int interested (unless they can make money from you).

I've probably spent ~ a year of my life in various parts of China. You want diverse, come to the UK or France or Germany. 

So you mean if you can't see any black people or only Asians it's homogenous? You don't count at all the indigenous groups, local ethnic populations, regional languages etc as diversity? 14 different official languages plus dozens of indigenous and regional languages isn't diversity? People in Tibet are similar to Inner Mongolia? Or people from Shanghai are similar to the islamic areas in the west?

Btw, I was in Guangzhou last November for a few weeks and I saw a ton of black people.  Visited also shops owned by black people.

To be fair, in my experience all of the East Asian cultures are a bit xenophobic, but China is far from the worst. Me and my German friend who was speaking perfect Japanese were denied a taxi in Japan because we were foreigners. My co-worker wasn't allowed in the hotel bar in the hotel he was staying in South Korea because he wasn't Korean but a white European. I also got shouted at in South Korea by some passer-by. All the months I've spent in mainland China and ethnically Chinese regions like Taiwan I've never experienced anything like that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, zkom said:

So you mean if you can't see any black people or only Asians it's homogenous? You don't count at all the indigenous groups, local ethnic populations, regional languages etc as diversity? 14 different official languages plus dozens of indigenous and regional languages isn't diversity? People in Tibet are similar to Inner Mongolia? Or people from Shanghai are similar to the islamic areas in the west?

Btw, I was in Guangzhou last November for a few weeks and I saw a ton of black people.  Visited also shops owned by black people.

Yeah, they are pretty much. I did do a census of what language people spoke or what “ethinc group” they identify as - cunts all the same to me.

There’s no fucking way a black man owns a shop in Guangzhou. Unless he’s charging people to touch his hair. A ton? Really? Tourists? Spent 4 months there about 6 years ago  

9 minutes ago, zkom said:

To be fair, in my experience all of the East Asian cultures are a bit xenophobic, but China is far from the worst. Me and my German friend who was speaking perfect Japanese were denied a taxi in Japan because we were foreigners. My co-worker wasn't allowed in the hotel bar in the hotel he was staying in South Korea because he wasn't Korean but a white European. I also got shouted at in South Korea by some passer-by. All the months I've spent in mainland China and ethnically Chinese regions like Taiwan I've never experienced anything like that.

Japanese are racist as FUCK. I’ve been spit at in the street in Japan. Fucking weirdos. 

Just remembered the story about a Tibetan guy trying to stab me in the street because I wouldn’t buy his cocaine ? Middle of the day too. Or the guy who thought I was gay becuase I wouldn’t take his offer of clearly underage prostitutes - only to see him disappear with two of them in the evening ?

3 minutes ago, 714681746476436 said:

Yeah, they are pretty much. I did do a census of what language people spoke or what “ethinc group” they identify as - cunts all the same to me.

Yeah, I think this pretty much settles the discussion for me. Nice racism there you got labeling an entire nation as cunts. But I guess by watmm rules in where titties are an unspeakable horror but casual racism is ok I think you're fine.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, 714681746476436 said:

Dirty, disorganised, smelly, with terrible food and hygiene. Genuine people, uninterested in improving their government. Some stunning scenery, great tea. Taiwan is the goof China, and even that's not great.

I work in various parts of China at least once per month. Sucks.

(emphasis mine)

That settles it. You, sir, are an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/26/2020 at 11:05 AM, auxien said:

seems worth discussing the various news bits and pieces that pop up about China regularly

The image of one pyjama wearer published by the local authority (blurred by the BBC)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51188669

Is this like the Chinese version of People of Walmart?

As per any big nation, China will have lots of mostly average normal boring people, some really amazing people, and some really fucking awful people. It's because there are so many of them that you get to see many more examples of the extremes.

The CCP under Xi Jinping has taken a real turn for the worse. Hu Jintao started them down that road, but Xi has really stepped it up.

Taiwan and HK are both great places to visit, and while there is plenty of good food in china, I gotta say, the mainland I always found a little boring  - although I haven't visited much beyond the big cities.

• Like 1

Although I've never been to mainland China, several of my fellow exchange students in Japan were from there. Never really had issues with them. It was helpful to have Japanese as a common language too.

I agree that the government under Winnie the Pooh is fucked up in its own way, but given the "president" in my own country I can't really judge. On the other hand the Chinese folks I've met are generally pretty down to earth.

the government acts like real douchebag dictators if someone says something they don't want to hear and punishing them for their own incompetence (cough cough, the hong kong/nba situation where they suspended Rockets merch from selling/games from airing and brainwashing their own citizens), but whose government isn't corrupt or shitty? but yeah im sure the people are cool, i like chinese food but i want to have some actually from there and not some fake American variations of chinese food