IGNORED

How does the World view China these days?

auxien

20 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Is anyone seriously ignoring this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

jackie chan Dafuq 

They need to be peed on by boys and are traditional in DONGyang. Surely that's no coincidence.

image.png.193a30b8b53e32ece4d0918404caa41f.png

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 2
  • Farnsworth 1

Ok, first to get it out of the way. Fuck the Chinese government and the Chinese Communist Party.

But as people I get along with the Chinese people pretty well, I guess. I mean my girlfriend is Chinese and I have some Chinese friends and former colleagues who I got along well and I still keep in contact with some of them even though the professional relationship is over. Funnily enough they're all females so there might be something there. And they're all academics or have lived outside China or worked for foreign companies so that might cause some bias. I have heard from them some pretty horrible and heart breaking stories not just how the Chinese government but also the Chinese society fucks over women and girls. There's also this kind of weird mix of nationalism and a total mistrust of their own government and society that sometimes manifests in surprising ways.

Anyway, I can't ever see myself moving to mainland China while the current system exists, but I can imagine myself living in Hong Kong or Taiwan easily. I've spend some weeks in HK on several occasions and it has started to feel a little bit like home or at least like a familiar place, in some weird way.

• 4 months later...

Fuck China and their social credit system. It's the most evil thing out there.

*Define evil

*Is it really though

Read all about it

Edited by Gocab
I just wanted to make big words
  • Like 3

I know the whole 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' thing is a stupid way to think but I only like China cause they keep the USA in check.

Edited by milkface

Nah, militarily they can’t hold a candle to the US. No one can.

It’s more the other way around, really. If the US, even in its present weakened state, hadn’t been there, China would probably be even more aggressive in the Chinese South Sea than it is now. Might’ve even have run over Taiwan already.

Economically and diplomatically, however, it’s quickly starting to become number one. USA second.

And Holland down to #3 ?

I'm never going to understand how the US is such an economic superpower while it is so heavily in debt at the same time. How much is the us owing at the moment?

Edit: $25.8 trillion dollars, that's a lot of dollars.

I guess everyone loves a big spender.

Edited by Gocab

My brain is 0% economist.  What does being in debt even mean in terms of a nation?  Who are they in debt to?  Clearly it doesn't matter, because they're able to just keep spending spending spending.  The whole debt thing seems like a fiction to me.

14 hours ago, Gocab said:

Fuck China and their social credit system. It's the most evil thing out there.

*Define evil

*Is it really though

Read all about it

And the surveillance got worse with the pandemic.. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/chinas-coronavirus-health-code-apps-raise-concerns-over-privacy

35 minutes ago, Gocab said:

I'm never going to understand how the US is such an economic superpower while it is so heavily in debt at the same time. How much is the us owing at the moment?

Edit: $25.8 trillion dollars, that's a lot of dollars.

I guess everyone loves a big spender.

2 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

My brain is 0% economist.  What does being in debt even mean in terms of a nation?  Who are they in debt to?  Clearly it doesn't matter, because they're able to just keep spending spending spending.  The whole debt thing seems like a fiction to me.

"If you owe the bank a thousand dollars, you have a problem. If you owe the bank a million dollars, the bank has a problem." :shrug:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Money and debt are basically fiction and created at will by the governments and banks, but it gets so fucking complicated it does my head in. Particularly now that most of money is just numbers in computers. I've been meaning to read up on macroeconomics but I have to gather up the mental strength first before trying that.

• Like 1

I, too am economically challenged. I can keep track of arithmetic of what I spend and what I have saved, but if you start speaking like the movie The Big Short in front of me I will space out and the sounds of amp feedback or something will fill my head. That is a good movie though. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Chen might be more equipped, but I'd argue it's both similar and completely different to what it means for us civilians. Like us, each country has a financial position. And that position will define how easy or difficult it will be to get stuff financed. It becomes complicated when countries go bankrupt.

More info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_default

The system is basically built on trust. Could have long discussions about gold standards, bitcoins and whatever. But in the end, it all boils down to the same, if you ask me. Essentially, if I ask you to borrow me some money with my promise to pay you back over time with a little extra (interest), you'd typically would like to know whether or not I would indeed be able to pay you back. If you don't trust me, you won't give me money, or increase the interest rate. If you trust me, you will borrow me money. Perhaps with lower interest rate as well.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:43 AM, Hugh Mughnus said:

Is anyone seriously ignoring this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

jackie chan Dafuq 

"Related articles: French Toast". Lol.

I urge everyone who hasn't seen it yet to watch American Factory. Brilliant docu that shows why the West is lost and we will all be pwned by China. (Tl;dw: We're just a bunch of silly, undisciplined manchildren against a country full of well-trained, wiry soldiers who will have us for breakfast.) It's on Netflix, go watch it now.

Edited by IDEM
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...