Sign in to follow this  
Tim_J

liturgy

thank u so much whoever mentioned this band in the other thread... one of my favorite bands right now... love me some odd time signatures...

so heavy yet so emo... 

who's with me? bring on the haters... 

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 1

here's HUNTERHUNT-HENDRIX most influential albums:

• Converge: Jane Doe
  • Meshuggah: Cache33
  • Scott Walker: Tilt
  • Apex Twin: Drukqs
  • Takacs Quartet: Bartok Quartets
  • Leonard Bernstein: Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring
  • Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dream
  • Deftones: Around the Fur
  • My Bloody Valentine: Loveless
  • Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral
  • Nick Drake: Pink Moon
  • Autechre: ep7
  • Furtwangler: Brahms Symphony
  • Emperor: In the Nightside Eclipse
  • Uboa: The Origin of My Depression
  • Sleep: Dopesmoker
  • Gideon Kremer: Arvo Part’s Fratres and Tabula Rasa
  • Ornette Coleman: The Shape of Jazz to Come
Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tim_J said:

here's HUNTERHUNT-HENDRIX most influential albums:

• Smash Mouth - Astro Lounge
  • Counting Crows - This Desert Life
  • Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet
  • Moby - Play
  • Barenaked Ladies - Stunt
  • Blues Traveler - four

That's crazy that he started making anything resembling black metal. It really goes to show you that music is universal and communicates more than we can comprehend. 

Edited by Candiru

10 hours ago, Candiru said:

That's crazy that he started making anything resembling black metal. It really goes to show you that music is universal and communicates more than we can comprehend. 

right?

here's a bit from an interview where he talks about that:

I started making music under the name Liturgy in the mid 00’s, and we expanded to a four piece and got active with touring in 2009 or so. The idea was to use the techniques and materials of black metal in a different way. I was really in more of the noise and noise rock scene at the time, like my first two shows were opening for Big A Little a, Ocrilim and Thrones. I was also studying philosophy and avant-garde classical composition, and quite mentally and emotionally unwell, if we’re being honest. Black metal was just at that moment culturally reaching the wider world of people like me. In highschool and early college I had some bands that were primarily playing screamo and post-rock type stuff, and black metal had some similarities to that sound world (I’m actually pretty proud of the screamo band I joined in my late teens which was called Birthday Boyz). Black metal seemed very mysterious and far away, sort of a form that could tie together my passion for philosophy, experimental music and fine art, like I was very interested in the possibility of healing myself by combining the work of figures like Nietzsche, Deleuze and Joseph Beuys and staging an encounter with the music of figures from Romanticism like Brahms with experimental art music like Branca. The fact that the end product ended up taking the form of ‘metal’ and being primarily presented to the metal scene would have been a big surprise to me back then. I guess the essence of the idea was to overcome my own nihilism by channeling the forces of metal through the philosophy of Deleuze into some kind of life-affirming or loving form.

here's the full interview:
https://www.webzinelescribedurock.com/2020/02/transcendental-black-metal-interview-LITURGY.html