IGNORED

Simon Reynolds on the decade in ambient and new age

droid

It’s oh-so-trendy to be into it now I guess, but all of the Light in the Attic reissues mentioned in this piece are spectacularly good. Very happy to see those mentioned, absolutely everybody should hear them.

I love ambient ambient music, probably my favorite genre, but I fucking hate anything classified as "new age". Just loathe to see the two associated so strongly.

Its a bit silly to dislike music based on an arbitrary application of a label. There's a ton of brilliant new age. Music from that tradition has as much of a claim to being ambient music as anything else, certainly more so than the avant roots that are normally cited for the genre. 

Yeah, thats fine, but who cares what people call it? I would have felt the same a decade or so ago, but the rehabilitation of new age is one of the best things to happen to ambient in 20 years. Earnest, sincere, often very deep music intended to evoke positive emotions in listeners - a necessary counterpoint to the experimental, dissonant and avant strains.

New age, 

Constance Demby

Iasos 

Trans Music Consort

And so much more....

a lot of them hated the new age genre name but this is what journalists do, they classify and name genres. Britain hates the IDM classification but we need names to reference stuff, braindance just didn't cut it. 

I wish we could put new age, ambient, and drone into one category. The individual artists will always be what truly matters.

Reynolds usually writes well. It”s a good overview of provenance, connections, how different worlds converge/coalesce in sound design.

it’s not like you get brass-band ambient (or could u?), so technology, culture, social norms, individuals, tropes, or moods that feature in the aural worlds synth-realms create, runs into the hall of mirrors of how you extrapolate or interpret meaning from sound, an entire universe humanity has been trying to figure out for as long as life has had ears.

So many releases intersect around what this range of artists do though, so any author will still bump into the meaning/interpretation + boil down a summary title.

2 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

it’s not like you get brass-band ambient (or could u?), so technology, culture, social norms, individuals, tropes, or moods that feature in the aural worlds synth-realms create, runs into the hall of mirrors of how you extrapolate or interpret meaning from sound, an entire universe humanity has been trying to figure out for as long as life has had ears.

what the fuck kind of grammar is this?

2 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

Reynolds usually writes well. It”s a good overview of provenance, connections, how different worlds converge/coalesce in sound design.

So many releases intersect around what this range of artists do though, so any author will still bump into the meaning/interpretation + boil down a summary title.

hey you found your thesaurus! ‘grats!

Now you just need to find that elusive Style Guide. 

You’re doing great!

I'm not saying ambient needs to be dark, harsh or dissonant. It can be positive, up-lifting, relaxing or whatever. But for me "new age" is like the opposite of sincerity and spirituality. You just take the most superficial elements of spiritual and religious traditions, package them as some kind of feel-good consumer product and sell it to people who feel empty despite their material wealth.

3 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

it’s not like you get brass-band ambient (or could u?)

Colin Stetson is the name that immediately springs to mind wrt brass ambient/drone due to his circular breathing and neck/throat pickup technique.  Would be grateful for any recs from other people in this idea too.

2 minutes ago, Salvatorin said:

that is an amazing argument posted in usenet group rec.music.ambient, 1993

Thank you, I was feeling very nineties already when I saw the thread title.

It's actually a quite funny subject because it has such a nostalgic value for someone who grew up in the nineties.

Also funny that they mention Robert Anton Wilson who was very much anti-New Age even though he was pretty well associated with the whole thing. He would pronounce new age newage, so that it would rhyme with sewage. Ah ah.

43 minutes ago, ManjuShri said:

Colin Stetson is the name that immediately springs to mind wrt brass ambient/drone due to his circular breathing and neck/throat pickup technique.  Would be grateful for any recs from other people in this idea too.

Every record with a trombone is brilliant, its one of the ur-ambient instruments.

Archived