IGNORED

Simon Reynolds on the decade in ambient and new age

droid

I had a nightmare last night that people were playing really horrible new age music and I tried to sing over it so I wouldn't hear. Then I woke up to my own singing. Lol.

I think I need to give this a rest. *skis off to listen to rainforest spiritual enslavement*

There are degrees. Some of those early-mid 80’s synth sound signatures haven’t aged well.

The ambient thread here is prob one of the better ones for scope & detail, some wicked tracks.

@zkom this is your worst nightmare:

https://www.discogs.com/Merl-Saunders-Blues-From-The-Rainforest-A-Musical-Suite/release/1892351

17 hours ago, ManjuShri said:

Colin Stetson is the name that immediately springs to mind wrt brass ambient/drone due to his circular breathing and neck/throat pickup technique.  Would be grateful for any recs from other people in this idea too.

Compare Steton’s “Reborn” to the prelude of Wagner’s Das Rheingold 

27 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

Yeah, lol it's pretty terrible

Anyway, people have their tastes and who am I to criticize? Fortunately I don't have to listen to this music, unless it's some backpacker bar in S.E. Asia but even then I can just get the fuck out. Also I think some of the new age stuff that was popular back in the 80s and 90s would not survive in the current culture wars and identity politics environment. Cultural appropriation much?  

On 2/3/2020 at 3:05 PM, droid said:

Its a bit silly to dislike music based on an arbitrary application of a label. There's a ton of brilliant new age. Music from that tradition has as much of a claim to being ambient music as anything else, certainly more so than the avant roots that are normally cited for the genre. 

This is stunning, almost “barely there”, but does so much with so little. Sublime.

There's a lot of new age stuff that just seems tagged with the label, a lot of the minimalist Japanese stuff for example (e.g. Hiroshi Yoshimura), but a lot of it came from the new age movement more generally (i.e. people involved in various woo-ey meditation, crystal healing, counter-culture offshoots, someone like Iasos say), there's some great music in both camps though, as well as plenty of cheese. 

On 2/3/2020 at 3:02 PM, ManjuShri said:

Colin Stetson is the name that immediately springs to mind wrt brass ambient/drone due to his circular breathing and neck/throat pickup technique.  Would be grateful for any recs from other people in this idea too.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:45 PM, droid said:

Every record with a trombone is brilliant, its one of the ur-ambient instruments.

brasses are so fucking great thanks for these reccs

On 2/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, droid said:

Its a bit silly to dislike music based on an arbitrary application of a label. There's a ton of brilliant new age. Music from that tradition has as much of a claim to being ambient music as anything else, certainly more so than the avant roots that are normally cited for the genre. 

On 2/3/2020 at 9:49 AM, Atop said:

I wish we could put new age, ambient, and drone into one category. The individual artists will always be what truly matters.

Capture.PNG.d3654a911367a5443d0b3e26db9f7c0f.PNG

This, much of the context regarding the use of "new age" as a descriptor is re-appropriating the term as a musical genre and ethos, like the term "world music" it was dragged down by late 80s and 90s era commercialization and appropriation to the point were it became a watered down superficial aesthetic - muzak, mall shops, and well, all the all but discarded pop culture minutia that vaporwave has since re-evaluated.

"New Age Music" included a lot of experimental and avant-garde music of the 1970s through 1990s - ambient, kosmische, drone, fusion, left-field jazz, etc. Part of it's resurgence has been the rediscovery of private press and/or niche releases from that era that were either skipped over because of the stigma of their overtly new age themes. This started in the 00s via reissues and re-evaluations of Laraaji, JD Emmanual,  Iasos, etc. Besides the Light In the Attic releases there have been reissues and new releases by rediscovered artists via Leaving Records and a plethora of tape rips via Sounds of the Dawn and various blogs and YT channels. It parallels similar re-discoveries of Japanese City Pop Hell, 80s and 90s era library music, leftfield and DIY electronic tape releases, etc. Hell even I've contributed to this. This tape I ripped and uploaded help shed light on the late Jaxon Crow of Texas, who was featured in a great write-up on Ultravillage.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:56 AM, droid said:

Nice Youtube channel - I see you even have some Dan Gibson up there. Interested in some MP3 trades,? Youve got a few things there I dont have.

eventually yes, I have a lot of stuff on a couple external HDs and no working PC at the moment

thanks for posting this here, cool seeing a WATMMer mentioned on a Simon Reynolds piece on RA

Rob Lowe’s sounds (solo, collabs & Lichens) fit that space beyond bs gallery, theory-driven wank Reynolds described as Conceptronica

the more you dig, the more you find:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/630881-Robert-Lowe-2

https://www.discogs.com/artist/376305-Lichens

https://www.discogs.com/Robert-Aiki-Aubrey-Lowe-Ariel-Kalma-We-Know-Each-Other-Somehow/release/6902541

Lastly, Ariel Kalma is someone who’s maintained quality control across a raft of decades, can seem quite new-age at times, but overall continues to inspire. Very humble bloke too.

*side note - wonder what tunes have been played at the Esalen Institute over the years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 1:02 PM, ManjuShri said:

Colin Stetson pulls more from the "minimalists" like Reich and Glass. It's not really drone or ambient.

Re-reading, nice work Droid. Last decade was staggering for quality. Framed as a reaction to EDM/wank almost does it a disservice though. Granted, there’s never been more shiny, electronic shit. You can’t seem to escape it in certain environments. Hideous. Technology or DiY attitudes seeping into production values is hard to unpick. Affordability? Maybe there’s so much that hasn’t even been done yet and what has been done hit a golden age (& remains ongoing).

Went to a seminar at Cardiff’s music dept on something pretentious like “The End of Harmony?” that touched on ambient & yet missed every possible target. Classical music bods masturbating furiously over “relational music”, like the question was relevant. Composer stood up and proceeded to play a piece that just seemed like an audio jumble of sequiturs and cut ups, cutting a pasting random noise, it took a bit not to laugh. Cue more academic pearl clutching. It wasn’t the lack of modular synth discussion or anything Reynolds discusses above being the problem so much as the theory that drove the outcome to begin/end with. Horrendous. Just read (but don’t either)

https://www.shlom.com/?p=relational

Could argue both cases for self care vs self obliteration. This book is good for playlists suited to the former & where AL’s “descend & disintegrate” moniker works too

https://www.music-and-imagery.eu/news/new-book-guided-imagery-and-music-gim-and-music-imagery-methods-for-individual-and-group-therapy

spacer.png

.... Segway to the only criticism - could’ve included something on NWW and Andrew Liles who both weave paradoxically soothing & uneasy sounds. 

Archived