IGNORED

Krautrock

Thiefinger

Been meaning to dive deep into krautrock for ages but have been prokrautstinating like crazy. Here are some (I think) standards that I thoroughly enjoy.

Technically not krautrock I guess but it sounds german enough to me. One of my all time favourite tracks ever I think. Don't listen to it too often as I pretty much invariably start to cry when I hear it. Watched that movie about David Foster Wallace being interviewed by a dude from rolling stone a while ago and it started playing during the end scene, bawled my eyes out.

Thought I'd have more to offer but realize a lot of the stuff I classify as krautrock came out in the last 20 years or so.

• Like 5

Malcolm Mooney era Can - Delay 1968, Monster Movie

Anything by Popol Vuh if that counts

German Oak

Neu!, obviously

Cluster and Kluster and Harmonia are all good

Brainticket is more Swiss space music but I think they should count anyway.

• Like 3

Amon Düül II's "Yeti" is mint, but the title track off Wolf City is their ace in the pack imho

Wolfgang Dauner is a must, as are Xhol Caravan

https://www.discogs.com/artist/41408-Wolfgang-Dauner

https://www.discogs.com/artist/289595-Xhol-Caravan

+ Julian Cope's guide is fun if yer fresh to this era and want to dig further: https://archive.org/details/Krautrocksampler/mode/2up

Edited by cwmbrancity
  • Like 5

There’s are more here

Getting your head round German music from this period, whenever that occurs, is like discovering sex as a teenager. You can’t get enough. Borderline obsession, but I love Hawkwind so fuck knows.

There are lp’s that have almost been worn out in terms of overexposure fatigue. The territory has been well mapped, but, if yer having a shitty morning, some of this music is the perfect pick up. Fuck caffeine.

• Like 4

On 2/3/2020 at 8:14 PM, cwmbrancity said:

Xhol Caravan

YES

It's not technichally Krautrock but the Pärson Sound tapes that got released in 2010 hits a really similar spot and lives up to the fairly massive (for what it is) amount of hype it got.

I notice nobody has mentioned Agitation Free yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

About half a dozen Krautrock track featured in the chinese movie "Master of the Flying Guillotine". In this movie the Krautrock melodies are used as background sounds and sound effects for the fighting scenes. These melodies are the following:

Neu! - Super
Neu! - Super 16
Kraftwerk - Kometenmelodie 1
Kraftwerk - Kometenmelodie 2
Kraftwerk - Mitternacht
Kraftwerk - Morgenspaziergang
Tangerine dream - Rubycon

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 5:14 PM, cwmbrancity said:

I can talk Popol Vuh for days. 

I could keep posting links. All of their stuff is gold but this album is my fave ?

Also, it’s a HUGE deal that Daniel Fichelscher is both the drummer AND lead guitarist and is amazing at both. 

*edit*
Didn’t Richard say in some super old interview that he was a PV fan? If I’m not mistaken it may have been the one where he said he also listened to a lot of his sister’s music  when he was a kid like Led Zeppelin and stuff. I may be combining two interviews in my head tho. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1