IGNORED

New act signed to Warp: Jockstrap

thumbass

15 hours ago, lucivalc said:

The production value is quite nice, along with aesthetics. 

I really like the vocal treatment.

What were they thinking with that name tho.  Why?

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

12 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Yeah I was not expecting what I actually heard from that name was thinking it'd be someone making weird trap/hip hop looking like

rap1-696x348.jpg

My guess is they wanted to stake claim on the postmodern trope of personifying an inanimate object as a bandname, and perhaps the only hip ones left were in the cock and ball region. Would have went with phallic shroud

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

This is pretty good, had heard of them before, they have a few good songs with truly awful videos:

She's got a great voice, and knows how to do something interesting with it. Like the jazzy/bossa tinge to it. Music was a little too sparse on that earlier stuff, new one is a bit more fleshed out.

42 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

I got about one minute in and had to stop. Fuck this trash.

Warp will never again be as good as they were in the late 90s and early 00s.

what's beyond me is that there's TONS of young producers with dope styles but NOOOOO ! Let's sign a poppy, vaguely electronic duo that looks (and sounds) like Carla Bruni and Eddy de pretto ! I mean WTF warp ? Who has been signing all those shitty acts for the last 15 years or so ? 

:catrage:

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Like 3

Maybe they're trying to be cool and fresh and not release versions of the same style of music all the time? But agree that there are so many artists who would fit to Warp much better. Internet dorks who like 90s electronic music maybe isn't their target demographic?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

Maybe they're trying to be cool and fresh and not release versions of the same style of music all the time? But agree that there are so many artists who would fit to Warp much better. Internet dorks who like 90s electronic music maybe isn't their target demographic?

Internet Dorks Music, the real meaning of IDM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zkom said:

A homage to Arab Strap? I have no idea.

wondered this too

42 minutes ago, caze said:

She's got a great voice, and knows how to do something interesting with it. Like the jazzy/bossa tinge to it. Music was a little too sparse on that earlier stuff, new one is a bit more fleshed out.

I agree. It's nowhere near as poppy and engaging as other singers with such a voice - like Maggie Rogers or Amelia from Sylvan Esso. Nor is the music as weird as say, Cocorosie. 

They are talented but the music isn't engrossing or overtly unique or interesting. Maybe WARP signed them on the basis of unreleased material they're prepping

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caze said:

This is pretty good, had heard of them before, they have a few good songs with truly awful videos:

These songs are awful.

Warp has an established low bar and a high bar.  This is better than Campfag Fuckface but not as good as Marcus has the Right to take some time off for Children. 
I quite like them, that's all I can muster.  I suspect warp's a&r wants to unload his scrotum on the singer's pouting face, as she's well fit.   

2 hours ago, dr lopez said:

dogshit name

I just can’t get over how bad the bandname is. Even if I’d like their music and felt some profound connection with their lyrics, at the back of my mind would always be the thought that they chose this name and decided to stick with it. For me aesthetics in music are about as important as emotions. What I heard so far sounds to me like late 90s early 00s throwback to things that I feel have not aged well at all and in that context the name makes so much sense. 

Totally pulling this out of my ass obvs but who cares. 

Can someone explain to me what's wrong with the name? I mean, it's not a name that makes me think: "great, nice name", but, ya know, most bands have random words or word creations as names, who gives a shit. Venetian Snares arguably has the best artist name, though. I'm glad if I can remember a name and this one is definitely memorable

4 hours ago, caze said:

This song is pretty interesting.

Warp wants to make money with bands/artists who are going to appeal to a wider audience but also have a foot planted in the leftfield.  This is that.  It'll be reviewed favourably on Pitchfork.

The name's terrible, but the music's way better than this this thread makes it out to be - watmm is of course consistent.