IGNORED

Apollo / Transco Lacquers burns down

Rubin Farr

1 hour ago, ManjuShri said:

That video really shocked me. Is there any safe way I could store my records, as he advises not getting rid of them? 

I just have them on my shelf rn which i guess may not be the safest way to hold them according to this video.

Also, SUPER shocked this isn't talked about more. This is a pretty serious issue, and it seems like all music fans should know about this.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:13 PM, KingBo0 said:

That video really shocked me. Is there any safe way I could store my records, as he advises not getting rid of them? 

I just have them on my shelf rn which i guess may not be the safest way to hold them according to this video.

Also, SUPER shocked this isn't talked about more. This is a pretty serious issue, and it seems like all music fans should know about this.

I wouldn't get too worked up over it. It's a somewhat alarming video but he's just a dude with some meter jumping to conclusions. If anything this video should be a reminder that it's important to keep any living space somewhat ventilated. Assuming his house has concrete floors and/or walls he could do a test in an empty room that has no ventilation and his device would probably start beeping because of the buildup of the radioactive gas that's being released from the concrete; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon 

Would like to see him do this with a couple of synths, drumcomputers and a mixing desk. Preferably a mix of old and new stuff, let it all heat up for a couple of hours and switch on that meter.    

Yeah, it's worth taking the video with a pinch of salt, although the overall point - that PVC is probably the most toxic of all plastics - is true. The biggest problem is in its manufacture, with the creation of the strongly carcinogenic vinyl chloride gas. It's an unpleasant substance and the world would probably be better without any more of it being made.

I still buy CDs of a couple of favourite artists, but generally I stick to downloads these days. His opening point about the amount of music you can fit on a memory stick is possibly the most valid in the whole video: we need to be less emotionally connected to random crap.

I am looking forward to seeing how the music industry copes with the loss of the lacquer plant, anyway. Mainstream vinyl is already overpriced to fuck, and as general trends suggest that the 'comeback' has pretty much peaked (sales in the UK only went up a couple of percent last year), I wonder if we'll get a shift away from the format again as prices undoubtedly rise due to excessive demand on MDC. Most interested in how they'll sell the idea, however, as they've already shifted emphasis from CD to downloads to streaming to vinyl in the past 15 years. 

RIP vinyl

It's a format that probably needs to go the way of film and tape anyway

I enjoy listening to records, the whole ritual of selecting a 12x12 square from the shelf, carefully handling the record and placing the needle etc but it's a guilty pleasure for sure

Archived