Sign in to follow this  
Tim_J

What's your least favorite Richard's output?

18 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

ICBYD you have to play it while reading greek mythology to get it, SAW 2 while reading LOTR

Funny enough, I tend to listen to music while I read and have been listening to SAW2 while I read Dune. Pretty fitting, imo.

Another classic shitpost thread in the making.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

everything post and including syro is really not my cup of tea at all, everything else he's done is quite good...

I agree with u here, syro was pretty interesting and fun to digest at first, it's so dense, but every time i return to it i realize i lost interest except for 2 or 3 trax... Same with collapse... Field Day is pretty weird and experimental and the songs kinda sound like skeletons, i guess that's why i like it... Anyway the new songs he's been playing live give me hope... 

Never forget:

Edited by Tim_J

15 hours ago, Brisbot said:

I know some people, if they like an artist they will just legally download and listen to every track and generally like everything. Which is a super power I wish I had instead of being picky but... oh well

I'm kinda one of those weirdos. I'm super picky when I try to find new artists, but when I finally manage to find one, boy, am I on a ride or what. Artists like Kendrick, Sparkwave, Godflesh and recently classic UR output, could listen to those for days. And Aphex is a top cat on that list. Very few meh bits, maybe 50 songs tops, which leaves me with something like 900 songs to like, not a bad rate at all imo. There are some serious stellar work, which no one has even come close by. I'm constantly hungry for more afx. Just when I think he has emptied his archives, he throws some unreleased Field Day intro track and makes me drool for, what, 4 years + and counting.

So, sorry TIM_J for shitting in your thread.  Need to say though, I'm all for the tunes. Not really interested if he's married and to whom, or how many kids belong to his litter, which seems too big part of AFX fanboism these days.

About AE, dunno, I'm kinda third breed. I mostly love their unreleased stuff and mixes + Gescom stuff. Bronchusix & Bronchus One.1, Jail Of Freedom (Jailitilsli), Nonima, SKF10047.... A+ stuff. Perhaps the worst breed of them all? :unsure:

Edited by Uros
typo
  • Like 2

I'm not too fond of GAK. Hasn't aged that well.

There, I said it.

23 hours ago, thumbass said:

Not really into ICBYD and saw ii

hmm great albums, saw 2 is great in the background

On 2/16/2020 at 10:23 PM, Tim_J said:

sometimes i feel sad due to the fact that some of his output doesn't click with me...

Why? There's no grand scheme. Most of pre 2000 Richard is just him dicking around with barely any of the method and attention to detail that improves the later stuff. I don't think we heard a single extended chord before Rushup Edge (maybe an overly technical point but you catch my drift). Some of it's really good but a lot is weird novelty listening at best and utterly abrasive crap at its worst. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chim said:

utterly abrasive crap at its worst

the BEST 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, chim said:

Why? There's no grand scheme. Most of pre 2000 Richard is just him dicking around with barely any of the method and attention to detail that improves the later stuff. I don't think we heard a single extended chord before Rushup Edge (maybe an overly technical point but you catch my drift). Some of it's really good but a lot is weird novelty listening at best and utterly abrasive crap at its worst. 

Which track has "the first" extended chord? And while I don't really agree with you here, I do think he has gotten better over time.  But if pre 2000 afx and post were two different artist, pre would still be one of my favorite artists.

Edited by Brisbot

56 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Which track has "the first" extended chord? And while I don't really agree with you here, I do think he has gotten better over time.  But if pre 2000 afx and post were two different artist, pre would still be one of my favorite artists.

Some of the analord stuff has interesting voicings and borderline cases (Backdoor.Berbew.Q and Redlof come to mind), but he really starts going to town in Shiz Ko E and there's instances elsewhere on the album plus Confederation Through. It's something that clearly delineates his later tonal choices. I'm not in the least saying you need fancy chords to make good tunes but the harmony gets richer and varies more. It's interesting to recognize it took many years before he started to incorporate that kind of stuff. 

Edited by chim
  • Like 1

I love everything of his... except CCAI2. Having said that, I can still appreciate it on an intellectual level.
The majority of the SoundCloud dump is more miss than hit for me, as well. 
Honestly, Drukqs is down near the bottom of my list too, except for maybe 3 tracks or so. I don’t dislike it, but I find myself wanting to skip over most of the tracks when they come on, especially when I’m listening to all of his stuff together on shuffle. 

Everything else is pretty much 10/10. 

The Curve remix is one of the best things he's ever done, an incredible record for 1992.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Out of the soundcloud dump i basically enjoy the i like those fast beats playlist...

out of the many things that Richard David James has created the thing i like least is Aphex fans

Edited by auxien
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Burger 2

out of the many things that Richard David James has created the thing i like least is Aphex fans
r/murderedbywords

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, chim said:

Some of the analord stuff has interesting voicings and borderline cases (Backdoor.Berbew.Q and Redlof come to mind), but he really starts going to town in Shiz Ko E and there's instances elsewhere on the album plus Confederation Through. It's something that clearly delineates his later tonal choices. I'm not in the least saying you need fancy chords to make good tunes but the harmony gets richer and varies more. It's interesting to recognize it took many years before he started to incorporate that kind of stuff. 

Redlof (bass version) right? 

edit : need coffee 

Edited by d-a-m-o

Power Pill is hell

Probably Outside Kickass Violin Solo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

8 hours ago, auxien said:

LoveYouauxien:)

:aphexsign::aphexsign::aphexsign:

• Like 1

I really haven't liked any of his stuff after Windowlicker, even on multiple listens across a couple of decades. A few tracks on DrukQs were alright but the album as a whole was a mess. I really just chalk it up to being old now.

7 hours ago, Tim_J said:

Redlof (bass version) right? 

Bass version sounds like big octave voicing, but there's not a lot more voices per se. That's what's tricky (and wonderful) about these big chorusy Polysix patches, a single voice sounds like a whole orchestra section. I had my doubts about the original but I now think it's 4 voices within the same octave, he's walking down the scale without lifting the previous voice. Technically you could map it out to a partial extended chord thing but it doesn't really strike me as such, it's more like polyphonic harmony to me. The second reason is that it sounds just as straightforward and diatonic as most of his music. The more colorful tunes could probably yield some cool findings when analyzed.

Edited by chim
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

A few tracks on DrukQs were alright but the album as a whole was a mess.

I really don't get this... Drukqs for me sounds like a conceptual prog album just like dsotm and some other psy/prog stuff from the 70's in a sense that all the drillnbass songs complement each other... You basically have roland drum machines plus common breaks, dsp fuckery and synths with similar timbres with prepared piano interludes... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

dsotm

dsotm?