IGNORED

Andrew Weatherall tribute thread

Guest Z_B_Z

So very sad ?

His ear for melding genres was impeccable, Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport for example. Amazing sounds. 

Primal Scream, Loaded. Christ, such a tune that propelled indie into thr eorld of acid house. 

The sabres of paradise remix of Chemical Brothers, Leave Home... Such an inspiring mix.

And then the mix CD he did for fabric, number 19. Seminal. Probably one of the ones I've listened to the most. 

DJ set I've seen of his over the years.... Fabric room 3 for 3 hours, immense evening. Houghton 2018 he played a 4 hour set and i was there for it all. I never caught any of the A Love From Outer Space gigs with Sean Johnson and I wish i had. The events at Corsica Studios were hailed as fairly legendary.

Gutted this evening.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the impact of Mark Bell's death - even with the substantial discography under his belt the death was just so goddamn untimely and the decades of more music that could of been is a heartbreaking though. Always bittersweet when so many people are introduced to the works of the more overlooked and behind the scenes producers like Weatherall only after their death. 

• Like 2

Not meaning to be controversial but maybe last year I watched a youtube clip of him and thought he needs (at least) a year in a health farm somewhere sunny and far away from any kind of substance. He looked real worse for wear, and very dishevelled. I remember because it stuck in my mind for a few days afterwards. Having said that...

Rest In Peace.

Edited by beer badger

29 minutes ago, beer badger said:

Not meaning to be controversial but maybe last year I watched a youtube clip of him and thought he needs (at least) a year in a health farm somewhere sunny and far away from any kind of substance. He looked real worse for wear, and very dishevelled. I remember because it stuck in my mind for a few days afterwards. Having said that...

Rest In Peace.

He looked pretty dishevelled when i first saw him play in 97 and probably every time since, apart from the waxed moustache years in the mid 00's. He absolutely burnt the candle at both ends but he had stopped most of that a number years ago apparently.

Was just thinking of Moritz from Basic Channel who is about the same age. He had a stroke a decade ago and he's quite a fit and clean living guy. He reckoned it was caused by a deep tissue massage. He's lucky it happened at an airport or he'd be dead.

Edited by Enthusiast

Sad news indeed. I remember hearing 'Smokebelch - Beatless Mix' back in the day - mid 90s. It was being used as a soundtrack to a documentary on future technologies - the coming of the internet to the masses, cybernetics, virtual reality etc. I immediately tracked down the Sabres stuff.. Also remember being really spooked by 'Wilmot' back in the 90s. He leaves behind a solid body of (at least to me) quite haunting works.

3 hours ago, IDEM said:

Uh, you guise ...

900 h of AW mixes thataway:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B23ZLBzfzfvec3ZhVE1uV0JtSGs

(Sorry, if this has been posted somewhere else already, a quick search yielded no results.)

I fkn loathe the new reaction feature, but cheers for these, that’s a gold mine

• Like 1

I was well pissed last night. Ended up watching most of the Red Bull interview and the BBC classic album on Scremadelica. Brilliant stuff. 

The man was a maverick.

His anecdote on jars of jam is a perfect philosophy on why I just don't give a rats arse on 98% of music being released today. So true.

21 hours ago, IDEM said:

Uh, you guise ...

900 h of AW mixes thataway:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B23ZLBzfzfvec3ZhVE1uV0JtSGs

(Sorry, if this has been posted somewhere else already, a quick search yielded no results.)

Great find, will have a good poke around in there

• 3 weeks later...