IGNORED

Something happening with “polyend” next autumn?

I was a super hyped for Polyend Tracker right until the Loopop video. No polyphony on tracks, samples in mono only, only 1 note column per track, only 2fx columns per track, 90sec sample limit, single stereo out channel, granular synth limited to single grain and probably more limitations that I'm not aware of. For me personally, at €500 it seems a bit irrational to choose it over Renoise which cost me under €70 and can run on a shit laptop. And since it doesn't open xrni files (but reads .mod files, that's cool!), there's not much point having both around.

The only real advantage it has over renoise on a laptop is probably being performance friendly. However, in that case I start thinking of hooking up something like an apc40 to renoise and going crazy with mapping out macros and phrases etc etc etc. Provided that the premise of "everyone has a laptop" is accepted, renoise + apc40 still comes out cheaper and offers much more customization and flexibility. That being said, I understand that it's the limitations of hardware that often force you to become creative, I don't feel like this piece falls into the category of that type of hardware.

Overall, it really does look well-engineered for the price they're offering it for but I'm not 100% sure on what niche it's supposed to fill.

• Like 1

It looks like a lot of the limitations can be fixed with firmware updates, so might be worth waiting for a future version, see what they can implement additionally. Like rendering/bouncing to sample pattern selections (optionally, have these automatically sliced and put back into the pattern). The sample time limit doesn't bother me at all,  would have liked to see a touch screen though a la mpc live and/or more rotary encoders.
I'm not biting just yet, will sit this corona period out.

I really hate it when people say sensible things in threads about drool worthy new gear.

11 minutes ago, 3grammatetrons said:

Overall, it really does look well-engineered for the price they're offering it for but I'm not 100% sure on what niche it's supposed to fill.

The niche of now middle aged people with too much money who used trackers in the 90s, I suppose.

4 minutes ago, plugexpert said:

It looks like a lot of the limitations can be fixed with firmware updates, so might be worth waiting for a future version, see what they can implement additionally.

Of course, that's what I secretly hope for as well lol. However, screen space is really expensive real-estate on a screen like that, which I reckon was one of the reasons they've decided to go with some of the limitations. Imagine introducing more than 1 note per column to the way it is right now - it can only show 4 tracks with all columns or 8 tracks with a single column; adding any more will make the screen look like complete jibberish I reckon.

6 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

The niche of now middle aged people with too much money who used trackers in the 90s, I suppose.

Great point, I knew namedropping Raczynski on their webpage was a bit suspect

all this tracker talk.. Tim Lamb (trash80) working on a pretty slick little gameboy/lsdj inspired device. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

The Polyend tracker looks neat, but I don't want to have to go through the process of relearning how to work in a tracker. Good price point, though.

9 hours ago, plugexpert said:

Thought I was getting trolled @ 22:15 with the vegan propaganda "documentary" stuff then it turned into a paid content plug for a "learning" company. So still trolled but just sorta?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can't wait to get mine! really thinking of making this the centrepiece of my setup. so versatile - I could sample little phrases from my synths and drum machines, or sample me just making stupid noises, or hitting various things, or use it to sequence my gear, or do live improv stuff, or any number of combinations of the above.

• 2 weeks later...