IGNORED

The Future Sound of London - Cascade 2020 (RSD release)

purlieu

Which samples do you mean? 'Phaedra' is sampled in Tokyo Travel (which was premiered on Kiss Test Transmission 2).

It's also sampled on Liquid Insects, and 'Movements of a Visionary' is sampled on the Hamish McDonald remix of PNG, I think elements of that turn up in one of the Kiss Transmissions as well, although briefly... I think it's one of the two Test Transmissions from 1992 but wouldn't like to say for certain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, purlieu said:

Which samples do you mean? 'Phaedra' is sampled in Tokyo Travel (which was premiered on Kiss Test Transmission 2).

It's also sampled on Liquid Insects, and 'Movements of a Visionary' is sampled on the Hamish McDonald remix of PNG, I think elements of that turn up in one of the Kiss Transmissions as well, although briefly... I think it's one of the two Test Transmissions from 1992 but wouldn't like to say for certain.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

@purlieu  I recently had a listen to some of the early Kiss 100 FM sessions. Incredible how well they have survived. These transmissions were required listening when I was at university in the early 90s. It was a different age back then.

At the 35 min mark on the link below, do you know who the artist is? I've look on the FSOL Message board (link below) but it's unclear. It sounds a little like early Black Dog but I'm not even sure they were active during that period.

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/fsolboard/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=503

Broadcast is below. Track slowly fades in at 35 mins. A really beautiful piece.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by fumi

Yeah, it's 14 31. Annoyingly, that doesn't appear to be on the version that was available through FSOLDigital (which the tracklist I posted there is based on). The actual dates of some of those Kiss shows are very confusing and even some of the bootlegs seem to contradict each other (coupled with the fact that they did eight shows, and press from the time only announced seven dates...). 

Being a FSOL nerd is very bloody difficult because they seem to enjoy muddying the waters all the time.

For the record, Pandemonium's thread on the board is actually a lot more up-to-date than my individual threads.

Edited by purlieu
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 9:28 PM, purlieu said:

Being a FSOL nerd is very bloody difficult because they seem to enjoy muddying the waters all the time.

I know what you mean. I looked at Discogs in regard to Global Communication. The album that 14:31 appears on wasn't released until June 1994. How did FSOL manage to incorporate it into their set list a year earlier? (19th May 1993).

50 minutes ago, NewSchoolScience said:

The version in the mix sounds like an early demo of the track, it doesn’t sound like the album version anyway?

It sounds pitched up and extra added fsol effects added... (plus the radio resolution seems to be affecting the sound)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it probably appeared as Ob-Selon Mi-Nos.

That said, a lot of tracks from those Kiss mixes appeared well before release. Gaz was a bit of a socialite in London at the time and probably wormed his way in everywhere, a lot of tracks on those sets will have been from advanced white labels and promos.

• Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

@purlieu Do you know a good source for tracking down film samples? One that's nagged away at me for many years is the sample towards the end of the excellent Radio 1 FM session from 12th April 1993 with Pete Tong.

The sample starts at 1:51:45

• 2 weeks later...

Taken a bit of faffing about, but I've finally found this tracklist. The band released it as Kiss Transmission 4 (11/11/93). The tracklist of the FSOLDigital version is here. Which makes that track Jah Wobble's Invaders of The Heart - Erzulie (Temple Dub Mix by Mind Over Rhythm)

Who got it wrong, the bootlegger or FSOL? Who knows. Probably the latter.

1 hour ago, purlieu said:

Taken a bit of faffing about, but I've finally found this tracklist. The band released it as Kiss Transmission 4 (11/11/93). The tracklist of the FSOLDigital version is here. Which makes that track Jah Wobble's Invaders of The Heart - Erzulie (Temple Dub Mix by Mind Over Rhythm)

Who got it wrong, the bootlegger or FSOL? Who knows. Probably the latter.

Thanks so much (again). As you say, there's a lot of information but much of it conflicting.

Plenty of the transmissions they put up on FSOLDigital had the wrong dates so it's a task to try and navigate them all. Brian is a hell of an archivist - he has pretty much every floppy disk of samples, MIDI file and DAT from the past 35 years - but I get the feeling they weren't all labelled very accurately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, purlieu said:

Plenty of the transmissions they put up on FSOLDigital had the wrong dates so it's a task to try and navigate them all. Brian is a hell of an archivist - he has pretty much every floppy disk of samples, MIDI file and DAT from the past 35 years - but I get the feeling they weren't all labelled very accurately.

Most people were completely off their faces during the early 90s. Some have never recovered.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...