IGNORED

What Do You Guys Think of the Corona Virus?

dingformung

What Do You Guys Think of the Corona Virus?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is it good or is it whack?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, psn said:

1. Listen to the experts

2. Don't be a moron

In my country experts just told the inhabitants of an entire province (all 2.5 million of them) to stay home if they feel so much as a sniffle.

Now I’m all for listening to experts, honestly , but bringing a a society to a halt to prevent a virus from bringing a society to a halt seems ... strange.

Then again, maybe I’m a moron.

(Corona virus is a really cleverly made virus, btw. Ace work).

21 minutes ago, Lada Laika said:

8.2/10 Best New Virus

Score is way too high, surprised it even got nominated for the Virus Association Grand International Nomination Award. I'll be complaining to the CEO of the coronavirus at my earliest convenience.

8 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

In my country experts just told the inhabitants of an entire province (all 2.5 million of them) to stay home if they feel so much as a sniffle.

Now I’m all for listening to experts, honestly , but bringing a a society to a halt to prevent a virus from bringing a society to a halt seems ... strange.

Then again, maybe I’m a moron.

(Corona virus is a really cleverly made virus, btw. Ace work).

I believe the problem was that a number of corona cases were unclear how (from whom) the virus was transmitted. The were no clear links to regions or people which could explain how they got it. Because it's impossible to test all people in entire regions, they try to contain the virus by having all people with symptoms isolate themselves. I hope you understand these measures are proposed to prevent bigger problems. In other words, it's a proactive(!!!) measure to prevent something even worse.

2 hours ago, goDel said:

I believe the problem was that a number of corona cases were unclear how (from whom) the virus was transmitted. The were no clear links to regions or people which could explain how they got it. Because it's impossible to test all people in entire regions, they try to contain the virus by having all people with symptoms isolate themselves. I hope you understand these measures are proposed to prevent bigger problems. In other words, it's a proactive(!!!) measure to prevent something even worse.

Yes, I got the part where they don’t know where it came from (although ... it’s a transport and manufacturing hub an a stupendously crowded country that does a lot of business with the whole world, including China, so: d’uh).

I just don’t understand how they go from there to “lock the whole place down”. Seems to me they’re not preventing bigger problems (eventually everyone will catch it, just preferably not at the same time) but causing them.

All with the best intentions, of course, but it seems to me RIVM, whom I normally esteem quite highly, is panicking. Almost like when the virus inevitably spreads to the population as a whole they can say “don’t blame us ... we told 2.5 million people to stay home.”

It's far from a "lock the whole place down" though. Schools are still open and other public stuff is still allowed. The only measure is "social isolation" of people with symptoms (fever, cough). Any symptom which could point to covid-19 and you're asked to stay home. 

I think they explained it here pretty well (in Dutch):

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2020/03/07/kuchend-brabant-moet-binnenblijven-komt-er-een-kantelmoment-a3993019

13 hours ago, goDel said:

It's far from a "lock the whole place down" though. Schools are still open and other public stuff is still allowed. The only measure is "social isolation" of people with symptoms (fever, cough). Any symptom which could point to covid-19 and you're asked to stay home. 

I think they explained it here pretty well (in Dutch):

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2020/03/07/kuchend-brabant-moet-binnenblijven-komt-er-een-kantelmoment-a3993019

If they were students of mine I’d flunk them because:

• What are “mild flu-like symptoms?” Not SMART.
  • What are they trying to accomplish exactly? Again, not SMART.

and finally:

• How are these measures going to contribute to achieving these goals?

Final score: 5 (insufficient)

27 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

If they were students of mine I’d flunk them because:

• What are “mild flu-like symptoms?” Not SMART.
  • What are they trying to accomplish exactly? Again, not SMART.

and finally:

• How are these measures going to contribute to achieving these goals?

Final score: 5 (insufficient)

I think it is the teacher who needs to be flunked though. 

Mild fluke like symptoms: you can count coughs per hour? And measure temperature. Thats an easy one. Pretty smart.

To accomplish:

- less people with coughs and fever in public and in contact with others. Is self explanatory, really. If you want to measure, you can do some random interviews on the streets: do people know of these measures? And have people meet others with a cold in public since these became active? 

So there, you can measure that as well. 

finally: yeah, containment. Or stop incidence of situations where people can contaminate eachother. This is science really. We know it works this way. No need to pretend we don't know it will work.

Archived