Support Artists During Covid-19 Pandemic on Bandcamp

Nebraska

Yeah I bought some stuff.  Some CPU records stuff, a modular set from Lomond Campbell (whose stuff is brilliant) and the new Pye Corner Audio thing.

this whole situation is desperate for artists really.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Since the weekend is over, what did you all but from bc either on Friday or throughout the weekend?

i made a mix of all the stuff i bought on Friday in case anyone wants a sampler ?

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

tDQ0rA5.png

Excellent! I missed out last time due to other activities getting in the way. I've still make a couple of purchases since, but maybe I'll hold off till May 1st for my next order.

Haha... trying to figure out why this bugs me so much.  My conclusion is that it seems like a feeble attempt to appear generous in a time of crisis, but it's really not that generous at all.  Just a PR stint to make themselves look good.  The irony is I'd probably respect them more if they simply did nothing.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

1 minute ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Haha... trying to figure out why this bugs me so much.  My conclusion is that it seems like a feeble attempt to appear generous in a time of crisis, but it's really not that generous at all.  Just a PR stint to make themselves look good.  The irony is I'd probably respect them more if they simply did nothing.

it seems reasonable to me. once people find out about it then most will wait for the the 'good day' to buy releases. bandcamp is pretty good.. really much better than any other online shop. certainly better than every music streaming service. they pay 85%. that's way way better than anyone else. 

it's certainly way better than spotify who made 'tip jars' available so people can drop a few coins in the tin cup that goes 'directly to artists' which is really a joke. and as this article calls it "a slap in the face"

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/23/spotify-tip-jar-musicians-pay-fans-donate-artists

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

You're not wrong!  They are better than the rest.  They're certainly less greedy than the competition.  But I mean, they don't have to try very hard for that.

85% - 15% split is reasonable.. more than that i think. they pay quickly. no quarterly payments or must meet a threshold payments etc..  and any time i've emailed them to ask for something i get an actual person who emails me back who actually cares about my problem. have had several very good experiences w/their customer service over the years.  they're very much 'artists first' kind of company. zero complaints. 

• Like 3