IGNORED

Support Artists During Covid-19 Pandemic on Bandcamp

Nebraska

weird site, good read: https://components.one/posts/bandcamp-the-chaos-bazaar

can skip most of the details in the charts if you're not interested, text summarizes it well enough for the most. lots of 'info' in the first half, lots of shitting on Spotify in the second (so imo a very good article). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, auxien said:

weird site, good read: https://components.one/posts/bandcamp-the-chaos-bazaar

can skip most of the details in the charts if you're not interested, text summarizes it well enough for the most. lots of 'info' in the first half, lots of shitting on Spotify in the second (so imo a very good article). 

Interesting stuff. Their conclusion here is questionable, though (page 11, 'Domestic Generosity'):

On average, buyers are more generous to artists in their own countries. This is not specific to certain countries or regions, and it appears to have nothing to do with relative currency strength. It is true for every single country in the top 50 countries studied, and it is probably true for those beyond the top 50 as well.

Fully elucidating the meaning of this graph requires volumes; in an earlier conception of this project, it was the report's main focus. But we're not even halfway done, so we're going to keep this part short: People are compelled to spend money on things with which they self-identify.

I would say that since you're more likely to know artists from your own country then you're more likely to pay for and be generous to artists from your own country. Another interesting notion that should have been entertained is this question; how many people that bought music also upload their own music? Since its main audience is independent musicians, then it also makes sense that musicians in a scene buy each other's music (like we've seen here in this very thread). So rather than forming an abstract conclusion like the one they came to, there's a more concrete argument that can be formed.

There's also this bit towards the end:

The company should also step into a more experimental mode of operation that a totally behaviorally oriented business model demands to fully work. If people spend more on artists with whom they share a city, see if directly promoting work in their cities induces more spending.

Sounds like they're advocating for ad targeting, which is something I hate and love that BC doesn't do. It feels a lot more real and honest without aggressive marketing. I do like being able to browse by city, too. It was pretty handy when I was booking shows before the pandemic.

At any rate, it was a nice read. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

forgot to update post buys

5265C94D-6545-4625-A8C3-55590CC91BD4.thumb.jpeg.c97e20da808498c2b1001c0f1d8e692b.jpeg  5E186DBA-EFD6-45DE-82F1-E4EC19C11F26.thumb.jpeg.440f7718f39474e38d6241b4d1ec428a.jpeg 

there’s some good stuff in that undisclosed series (i generally think the anonymous artists thing is meh/lame but it’s worth ignoring here imo), grab it now if you haven’t as i think the thread on here mentioned it’s about to go as unlisted

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2021 at 5:11 PM, auxien said:

^that James Bernard is sounding nice

i'm definitely picking this one up today, sounds fun as hell, from Bonding Tapes. 

Thanks for your support! You're one of the Day Ones!

Check out our latest by Torito & Jumbled 'Music For The Rapture'. Underground Hip Hop, Lo fi Beats. Raps on Side A, Instrumentals on Side B.

https://bondingtapes.bandcamp.com/album/music-for-the-rapture

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, markedone said:

What's on your lists?

hm good question lemme just see how big of a dent i can make this Friday...

image.png.4ed9d374be1c6745f22ecdec0378787b.png

jfc, 689???

looks at bank account

um

yeah gonna try and limit it to 5 or so buys.

:catcry:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, auxien said:

jfc, 689???

looks at bank account

um

Mine looks very similar! Gonna have to limit myself somewhat. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, auxien said:

jfc, 689???

looks at bank account

um

Bro it's like the RSS of "New and Upcoming Releases" feeding directly into your wishlist.

I was intrigued by that study of being more generous to your fellow countrymen. That is 100% not true in my case. I deal in Euros and Squids nearly exclusively. 

Edited by xxx
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, xxx said:

I was intrigued by that study of being more generous to your fellow countrymen. That is 100% not true in my case. I deal in Euros and Squids nearly exclusively. 

Do you have a link?

21 minutes ago, dcom said:

image.png.d366c7639b5f08b6703f69859659d8ed.png

This amount would drive me crazy. I want mine down to 20/30, and then they are off the list if not purchased in a month or so. 

11 minutes ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

This amount would drive me crazy. I want mine down to 20/30, and then they are off the list if not purchased in a month or so. 

image.png.9c27f19ea25bd9d885b382d62ac9baf7.png

That's my physical release wantlist - but you'll have to take into account that I've been DJing for about 30 years and I'm, for a want of a better word, a glutton for music. Then again, that 2263 release wantlist one Bandcamp has accumulated only over the past three years, the Discogs one has had almost 20 years. That should give some perspective on the digital release firehose compared to physical. I haven't yet adjusted to the fact that I'm now a father and that I don't have oodles of loose time to filter music as I did before making a small human. Change is difficult, especially to a neurodivergent like me.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

I had forgotten about the Bandcamp wishlist completely but apparently I have 6 (six) items in there.

• Farnsworth 1

5 minutes ago, dcom said:

image.png.9c27f19ea25bd9d885b382d62ac9baf7.png

That's my physical release wantlist - but you'll have to take into account that I've been DJing for about 30 years and I'm, for a want of a better word, a glutton for music. Then again, that 2263 release wantlist one Bandcamp has accumulated only over the past three years, the Discogs one has had almost 20 years. That should give some perspective on the digital release firehose compared to physical. I haven't yet adjusted to the fact that I'm now a father and that I don't have enough loose time to filter music as I did before becoming a parent. Change is difficult, especially to a neurodivergent like me.

I get that, especially with the DJing angle. I had to fight a long battle with my inclination to collect. While it's manageable now, music and books still dominate my life. I did long stints in indie book and record stores years ago, that was not good for my pocket, though some of my fondest days working. 

Living with the reality that the right amount of records to own is n+1.

1 hour ago, xxx said:

Bro it's like the RSS of "New and Upcoming Releases" feeding directly into your wishlist.

ha it feels like it sometimes

to be fair, i do sometimes wishlist things that i haven't yet listened to fully. i started browsing through last night and shaved off a few, will do so this evening after work too i'm sure, as i make some purchases...

but also i follow a fair amount of fans and artists (i think 700+ labels/artists) there so i'll surely be seeing some new things that i'll wishlist....it's 

The Neverending Story | Book Recommendations and Reviews ...

51 minutes ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

Living with the reality that the right amount of records to own is n+1.

After 17-odd years I'm still trying to get my SO to understand this - the same goes for books. I have shifted aggressively towards digital, so the shelves are not overflowing at the same pace as they were a few years ago, but there's always piles and stacks, packages and other assorted mailing detritus somewhere.

• Like 1