IGNORED

Support Artists During Covid-19 Pandemic on Bandcamp

Nebraska

• 4 weeks later...

Question about free downloads on Bandcamp; sometimes free downloads are added to your collection, sometimes not. Is there an option the artist can toggle that makes it available in your collection or not?

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Question about free downloads on Bandcamp; sometimes free downloads are added to your collection, sometimes not. Is there an option the artist can toggle that makes it available in your collection or not?

if a release is free/name your price by default, then you can download them for 0.00 (the artist can require you give an email address or not), but the act of downloading the release does not add it to your collection, ever.

if an artist gives out a download code for an album that otherwise requires purchase, when you redeem the download code at bandcamp.com/yum you'll see the following screen:

image.png.10b5a9e819491b97e8a8e6777c0dba5a.png

you have to of course enter the correct download code, but also check the appropriate box for the item to be added to your collection. otherwise i believe you just get to download it then, but then can't ever again, unless you choose to later purchase it.

i think that's how it works for everything mentioned above, but someone please do correct me if i'm wrong.

Edited by auxien

46 minutes ago, auxien said:

if a release is free/name your price by default, then you can download them for 0.00 (the artist can require you give an email address or not), but the act of downloading the release does not add it to your collection, ever.

if an artist gives out a download code for an album that otherwise requires purchase, when you redeem the download code at bandcamp.com/yum you'll see the following screen:

image.png.10b5a9e819491b97e8a8e6777c0dba5a.png

you have to of course enter the correct download code, but also check the appropriate box for the item to be added to your collection. otherwise i believe you just get to download it then, but then can't ever again, unless you choose to later purchase it.

i think that's how it works for everything mentioned above, but someone please do correct me if i'm wrong.

that's the standard logic, but I have downloaded free tracks before that just showed up on my collection, for no reason. who knows 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

29 tracks as part of a benefit compilation for Leslie Keffer who has epilepsy and has been denied disability for five years, including tracks by Otto Von Schirach, Skin Graft, Unicorn Hard-On, Studded Left (formerly Indian Jewelry), Laundry Room Squelchers, Fletcher Pratt, Sharkiface, and more.  

Leslie also has a new release, excellent ambient / vocal pieces.   Some might know her from her activity in the 2000s, opening for Sonic Youth and playing other larger fests where experimental music and noise would still be embraced.  She did mostly radio noise mixed with vocals, and apparently still uses radios in her work, although it's evolved to be more refined.   

This tribute is on a netlabel that also has a youtube channel called "This Machine Kills Music", with videos about industrial/noise.  They have a recent video on Zero Kama, who first came to prominence on the Necrophile label.   It's really thorough for anyone intrigued by music made with human bones and other ritualistic entrapments.  Moon Musiq, the net label, has a tribute to Coil, a compilation dedicated to (and apparently in praise of) bugs, and this tribute to Throbbing Gristle.   Well put-together all around.  

Edited by no part of it

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...