IGNORED

Buying my first synth help!

Polytrix

I just want a basic poly synth I think preferably which is a bit esoteric and has a unique nature to it and weird but hopefully sub £250. 

Good modulation, good filter and maybe built in FX. Good keyboard with it too.

I've been looking at getting a jv1080 as I love that old school lofi crusty sound but I'm not finding that many for sale. 

I just want to be able to switch it on without much faff and start creating really easily OTB. Was considering getting a reverb pedal too. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reverb.com has like a dozen JV-1080s for sale. a couple look about your price range...but if you're pretty sure that's the one you want, just save an extra £50 or so and get one in great condition, yeah?

The JV doesn't have a keyboard? If you're looking for a module how about the XV-3080?Can be found for cheap and has that gritty 90's vibe.

I have a Roland XV-5080, probably it is quite similar to the JV-1080 you are looking at. I like it a lot and I am happy with it.

BUT... I pretty much use it as a preset bank. I never really mess with the actual sound design in the box aside from changing some basic parameters like filter cutoff and release which are available in the multi-timbral mode. I opened the software editor exactly once (partly because I don't have a good enough MIDI connection to be able to user the editor without errors) and I still have not read the manual to understand how to program sounds. I think maybe in the future I will attempt to work more with the sound design, but not sure to be honest.

On the other hand I do like also the manual tweaking workflow and I have a Korg MS2000R for that purpose. It's not super polyphonic, but I generally like to play around with it, and it is super accessible because 90% of the functionality is represented by physical knobs on the chassis.

By the way this Roland stuff seems to be available as a VST now, so buying a physical thing is maybe less important these days? Are you working mainly with a computer or do you prefer to have a more physical experience?

Of course this Roland Cloud thing stinks of subscription based model so goodbye your VSTs if you don't want to keep paying €10 every month or something. I never found the pricing information on their site.

If you want to get weird I guess you could look for an Arturia MicroFreak ? It's a digital synth which has an unusual design, from the demos I saw it sounded versatile enough but it might not be what you're looking for !

In France it costs 300€ so that might be just around 250£

I bought a Korg Minilogue XD two months ago at a local gear shop that's proven quite powerful and versatile, being a poly synth with analogue oscillators. But it also cost me the equivalent of about 550 quid. Unless you can find one used...

23 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

I bought a Korg Minilogue XD two months ago at a local gear shop that's proven quite powerful and versatile, being a poly synth with analogue oscillators. But it also cost me the equivalent of about 550 quid. Unless you can find one used...

Seconding this. Minilogue XD is a very good synth for a first timer. If its not in your budget then the monologue isn't too shabby for what it does.

In that price range, I would think:

- MicroFreak, as posted above, although it doesn't have effects it has some really interesting oscillators and modulation
- MicroKorg, if you get a used one, will be in your price range, ticks most of your the boxes though the keyboard is a bit shit and it's a little fiddly to edit, but it's a classic
- Novation Mininova or Ultranova if you can find a cheap one - see https://tomellard.com/cave/ultranova.html
- Modal Electronics Skulpt, absolute shit keyboard but sounds incredible and can get proper weird, built-in sequencer too

19 hours ago, Polytrix said:

I just want a basic poly synth I think preferably which is a bit esoteric and has a unique nature to it and weird but hopefully sub £250. 

Good modulation, good filter and maybe built in FX. Good keyboard with it too.

I've been looking at getting a jv1080 as I love that old school lofi crusty sound but I'm not finding that many for sale. 

I just want to be able to switch it on without much faff and start creating really easily OTB. Was considering getting a reverb pedal too. 

Have you thought about any of the new behringer's ?? Around your price range.. famous synths.

10 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

Behringer have proven themselves time and again to be absolute cunts, though, and increasingly so, so vote with your conscience as well as your wallet.

or if you must buy a behringer thing try to buy it used. 

1 hour ago, Polytrix said:

I'd quite like something Moog if possible. Can raise budget to £300

I was looking at the arturia stuff 

The only Moog you will get at that price is the Theremin and a bunch of cables, bags and other accessories. https://www.thomann.de/intl/search.html?filter=true&manufacturer[0]=Moog&oa=prd&price-first=0&price-last=400&sw=moog

Sorry mate, but you sound like you have not done the barest bit of homework and looked at what the prices are in shops if you want a Moog for 400 squid. Not everyone's as lucky as TheBro.

I would suggest start trawling used synth listings, then researching the things you find on youtube to hear demos-reviews. There's a lot of weird stuff that may fit you nicely but this thread will never mention it.

In fact it's also quite difficult to suggest a synth simply based on "hey guys what should I buy", because a lot depends on what your own preferences are for workflow and sound. You got to work with yourself and go through some of the possibilities and narrow it down.

Personally if I had €300-400 and wanted a synth, I would update my Live to version 10 Suite go check out the Roland replicas: particularly JU-06A and SE-02 https://www.thomann.de/intl/sound_modules_expanders.html?price-first=295&price-last=439&filter=true&manufacturer[]=Roland

Yamaha refaces might be worth looking into too. The DX looks fun and sounds really good. 

Even the €1000 analog stuff is specialized for a few sweetspots. Forget spec hype and look for something fun and flexible. I can attest that the microkorg is extremely versatile and more modern sounding than the old Roland modules. It also has an awesome effects section. A 90s synth has a bit of cool factor though. The famous ones are getting replicas nowadays and I have a hunch the cheesy stuff will be back in vogue. 

23 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Personally if I had €300-400 and wanted a synth, I would update my Live to version 10 Suite

This.

Synths are toys. Fun toys, and if you have fuck you money to blow on them by all means go ahead (but then why ask others to spend that fuck you money for you? the biggest fun in buying synthesizers is doing the research!) but if you just want to make music spend your money on good software.

A decent software synth will cost far less and and be much more versatile. Buy a controller if you want tactical control. And don’t underestimate what you can do with Live Suite alone. Operator is one of the greatest synths known to man.

isn't the MicroFreak a mono too ?

Anyway, considering your budget I'd stay ITB, and for exemple go for u-he Repro + Hive 2. Amazing sonics and features for both (really). Or Repro + both Plogue Chipsynths. All those synths sound astonishingly good (I trust my monitors here).

If you can stretch your budget and really want hardware, SH-01A or DX-7.

Archived