IGNORED

Squid - Sludge (Warp Records)

thumbass

I think you have to be in the right mood for bands like these (black midi, dry cleaning, whoever else). Or really into the scene. As a casual listener it may not work. I have some friends who think these bands are the bees knees but I’m seem to be looking for any excuse to switch it off. I just think guitar bands don’t excite me like they did up to 15 years ago. 

Just embarked on my first listen of Bright Green Field. I've liked some of their songs before this. Recent single "Narrator" was interesting, did sound a bit too much like LCD Soundsystem in the first half but got way more interesting in the second half. Town Centre EP from 2019 wasn't bad, one song was great but I can't recall which one it was without listening again. 

I’m getting more b52 vibes than I am LCD vibes and I’m not complaining. Very good album, I’ve warmed up to their sound. 

not totally sure why they’re on Warp, but why not I guess. I’m just looking forward to warp talking about something else now, they’ve been hyping this album for 6 months. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

hmm i'm digging the LP. definitely has some teeth. reminds me of Talking Heads and of all things These Arms Are Snakes, the latter for the sinister yet poppy dance vibes and sometimes aggro vocals. the album cover is great too, reminds me of the creepy fake grass in beetlejuice. not afraid to be funny either. maybe also a little Pere Ubu.

i can see comparisons to Black Country, New Road, but i didn't really care much for their debut.

Edited by BelacquaShuah

People need to stop crying about the fact that warp 'doesnt release enough electronic music'. (I know I did it once as well but hey) Just because it ain't what you want doesn't mean it's bad, it might not be your cup of tea but you don't need to write it off instantly. I feel like some people on this forum need to get rid of their snobby attitude towards music and broaden their horizons a bit. When you listen to this for example, go into thinking 'hmmm, maybe this is going to get me into rock music of any mind's instead of 'okay this is not electronic music so I know it's going to suck dick and I hate warp for putting this out and falling of because they don't release enough music that I want to hear.'

You will find that there is a lot more music other than idm in this world that you'll enjoy

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 years later...

Hey maaaaaan Squid are back! 

Their new album is out today. I’m currently listening to it now, and times haven’t changed much. After watching them live (on the tv) at Glastonbury I found I enjoyed them a whole lot more than just listening to Bright Green Field. Which was okay. New album sounds fine. I wonder what watmm currently thinks of Squid? They also have very good t-shirts (or did have last time I checked) 

Is it hail the mighty kraken!!! Or is it just a bag of Birdseye frozen calamari?

Edited by beerwolf

I'm quite enjoying this O Monolith. Sounds rather good in the sunshine ?️

(quite possibly most things sound good in the sunshine)

Edited by beerwolf

On 5/22/2020 at 12:54 PM, Limo said:

It’s like a machine tried to copy truly transgressive guitar music or something. Singer sounds like an upperclass twat playacting Mark E. Smith.

Every attempt Warp has made at signing rock bands is like this: too polished, too clean, unconvincing. Can’t fault them for trying and sometimes they’ve hit upon an entertaining song or two, but in the end it’s just not in their DNA.

I like Battles & Tortoise, the UK bands last 15 years were awful

Yeah we were trying to think of any decent UK bands of the last 15 years in the pub the other day. We couldn’t think of any, and one lad was in his early 30s so it wasn’t an age thing. And we all hate the Arctic Monkeys….

Edited by beerwolf

19 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Yeah we were trying to think of any decent UK bands of the last 15 years in the pub the other day. We couldn’t think of any, and one lad was in his early 30s so it wasn’t an age thing. And we all hate the Arctic Monkeys….

Black Midi and Squid are pretty decent. I was a bit disappointed by Black Midi live earlier this year though. The singer is the weak link. 

King Krule is good if they count? Maybe?

Arctic Monkeys are honestly pretty solid as well. Especially Tranquillity Base which is full of hilarious lyrics. 

We are of course far from the 90's heyday. The Smile was one of the best albums of 2022 for my money.

21 hours ago, Mattthegoone said:

I like Battles & Tortoise, the UK bands last 15 years were awful

Neither of whom are rock bands, though.

I was mulling this over in my head today and I came up with Idles. Heard a few of their records which I thought were pretty good, then last year same as Squid at Glastonbury. Watch that set, and I defy if it doesn't blow the cobwebs away from your brain. That was a monster performance. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 6:36 AM, beerwolf said:

I was mulling this over in my head today and I came up with Idles. Heard a few of their records which I thought were pretty good, then last year same as Squid at Glastonbury. Watch that set, and I defy if it doesn't blow the cobwebs away from your brain. That was a monster performance. 

Thanks for the tip. Idles had completely slipped past me, but I've been listening to their albums and yeah I quite enjoy them all. Not subtle sure but plenty of energy and good riffs. I can dig it.