IGNORED

VHS Head - Phocus (out 7th April 2023)

YELLOW

Kilgrimol Dissolve is still the top track for me, but Drown A Star is starting to grow on me for some reason. I dunno, feel like there's a surreal juxtaposition of, say, 80s pop/high school films and B horror that I can't adequately pinpoint in words, yet it's something only VHS Head can achieve.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mcbpete said:

Woah, so they did - I don't remember that  (unless the 'old talent' they were referring to was another Skam artist - like the mentioned Team Doyobi):

Pitchfork was also furthering the speculation also: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/11559-rent-responsibly/

Well I guess I'm in the minority that prefers Persistence of Vision over Trademark Ribbons of Gold, so on first listen I really liked the new one too.

Part of what I like about this (and PoV) is how overwhelmingly dense it is but that also means repeated listens are required to make any sense of it.

• Like 2

It's been a hot minute since I've been on here watmm, at least regularly; so from what I understand, we might be getting another tepid release from  VHS Head, a  lukewarm artist, but it's not confirmed, so we're all in suspense waiting for the eventual release of a 6/10 release like TROG? Everyone is in suspense for another discarded release like the last 3 Prefuse 73 albums? =/ This has been done; samples chopped, terribly strung together; it's a high school project.

• Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

lol; just realized it's already out. Some good tracks but overall not for me I guess. ?

i mean it's better than like 95% of music to come out in 2023

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2023 at 4:55 AM, dr lopez said:

i mean it's better than like 95% of music to come out in 2023

This is true lol. So far 2023 has been a slow year. I actually re-listened to this and it's p damn good. Fav track is Kilgrimol Dissolve. 

Can consider me somewhat converted ?

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 9:47 AM, YELLOW said:

Pitchfork was also furthering the speculation also: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/11559-rent-responsibly/

Really? Of course, he is not them. Come on Pitchfork from 2009! He is a guy with a name and streams on youtube. Doesn't even sound remotely close to BOC. 2009 was funny. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the analog vinyls and am listening now for the first time. It’s not freaking out the cat like TROG does.  I got about 3 hours of sleep in the last two days and the dark and sludgier vibe here (or at least in the first half) is really working for me tbqh. Thanks, Ade. 

edit: Paradise Drive is freaking the cat out, haha

Edited by baph

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't get past the third track or so. As impeccably executed as it is, that sort of thing doesn't do as much for me anymore. There are some glitch hop adjacent things I enjoy more like the Hullabalo0 EP I posted about.

22 minutes ago, cern said:

I have a hard time to enjoy his music. It is like alot of looped radio snippets sliced up with  beats on top of that 

Yes that's exactly what it is, isn't it? But not radio snippets, sliced up samples from VHS... 

I always thought that was the point was it was music entirely made from stitched up VHS & public access tv + documentary samples. I could be wrong though lol.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1

I’m not impressed with this album at all; sounds like random browsing through sample libraries, very weak sense of direction in comparison to the first album

Im aware that Im probably missing something but that’s how i feel about this album - today

On 5/23/2023 at 1:54 PM, xox said:

I’m not impressed with this album at all; sounds like random browsing through sample libraries, very weak sense of direction in comparison to the first album

Im aware that Im probably missing something but that’s how i feel about this album - today

i get that feeling. the earlier albums were fresh but the cut up styles wears off after a while.