IGNORED

The Orb - Abolition of the Royal Familia

Extralife

16 hours ago, Extralife said:

Tried relistening to No Sounds yesterday and could barely get through it. Maybe a couple decent tracks, but overall a huge mishmash. The Thomas tracks there are pretty lackluster actually.

Abolition keeps getting better with each listen though. Loving it.

Yeah I can definitely see the lack of appeal for it, there is some stuff that sounds like they're going through more modern trends, Wolfbane is a hilarious kinda meme-fuckery piece and some of the songs aren't as exciting for dub techno music like their older stuff. I do enjoy the album a lot though and was a sucker for The End of The End and the pretty Doughnuts Forever.

13 hours ago, hayhook said:

Deluxe version up on bandcamp.

Thx!

Definitely going for this version. The first half (2/3) of the original album just gets on my nerves in the wrong way. With the tracks from the deluxe edition you end up with a proper orb album, imo. And a good one. You just need to skip those first tracks. Not bad and all, but when I'm playing the orb, I want the Orb. Not some generic soulful house tracks. Come on. 

Deluxe version makes up for it!

28 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

hey for all the people that like this a fun thing to do is to play it and then immediately put on orblivion. 

My favest of all their albums - Just an incredible atmosphere throughout. RIP Andy Hughs - You definitely made The Orb ace back in the day.

I'm actually really curious to know what Paterson actually does in the band - Is there a single track that's credited just to him ?

2 hours ago, dr lopez said:

hey for all the people that like this a fun thing to do is to play it and then immediately put on orblivion. 

lol

You right. They are not even in the same league. Orblivion is legendary.

This is a different Orb though.

2 hours ago, President Squidward said:

idk why i havent listened to any other 90s orb albums outside of Ultraworld and Pomme Fritz

Orbus Terrarum right now. 

It’s the best album ever. Ever.

10 hours ago, dr lopez said:

ban this

I'm so sorry lmaoooo

For Orb I've seen to just jump across a few out of order, after Ultraworld I listened to Okie Dokie, It's the Orb on Kompakt because I love that album name and cover and it turned out to be pretty good. Got into Fussball off of that collab project with Lee Scratch Perry which was middling, and then I listened to No Sounds in preparation for this album.

13 hours ago, mcbpete said:

I'm actually really curious to know what Paterson actually does in the band - Is there a single track that's credited just to him ?

He owns the name. I think that's about it. He's coasted along for almost two decades while the talent actually does the work.

Remember that video I posted way back of him recording the sounds of leaves and wind? That's about his level of input.

Haha, I'd love to think that's all the collaborators send him out to do over the years: Just get him out the studio for a while so they can actually work on the album with some peace and quiet. "Yeah Alex, if you could just go up to Scotland for a bit and record some sheep in a field that'd be great ... just take your time. If you have to stay up there for a few weeks that's totally fine"

2 hours ago, mcbpete said:

Haha, I'd love to think that's all the collaborators send him out to do over the years: Just get him out the studio for a while so they can actually work on the album with some peace and quiet. "Yeah Alex, if you could just go up to Scotland for a bit and record some sheep in a field that'd be great ... just take your time. If you have to stay up there for a few weeks that's totally fine"

90s Orb is the pinnacle of their achievements. Like him or loath him, Kris Weston was vital on those early records. Same with Andy Hughes.

The band would have finished long, long ago without the endless creativity of Thomas Fehlmann. He's been their saviour (and Alex's too).

yeah basically they let fehlmann make an album while alex does blow, it rules. then they let Youth take a shit and press it to wax, then they let a junior POS producer do more blow with Alex, press that to wax, then they smoke weed with lee scratch p erry, press that to wax, then they let fehlmann come back and make another good record while alex does more blow and cue up a few ms piggy samples on the akai

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived