IGNORED

Belbury Poly - The Gone Away

Nebraska

• 3 months later...

Mmm. The album cover is nice. I'm less than excited about the album itself. The genre is exhausted. Lately, I've been more inclined to search out actual library stuff from that era rather than modern day artists attempting to imagine/invoke the nostalgia of the early 70s.

Also, GB seem to have made real attempts to broaden the appeal in recent years, shying away from the unsettling quality that made them once so notable. The last thing I really enjoyed from them was the recent Focus Group album - it had that unfinished, abandoned vibe that I find really appealing.

21 hours ago, fumi said:

The genre is exhausted. Lately, I've been more inclined to search out actual library stuff from that era

i've been doing this as well.

right before plone released their record i got a bunch of children's library music. here's something i found which gave me a sensible chuckle

still excited about this belbury record though. 

220px-Belbury_Poly_-_JIm_Jupp_3.jpg

yeah I don't know what they were going for with that video... it wasn't funny or creepy/weird, just embarrassing.

I was a fan of this label when it first came on the scene, but have been disappointed with the majority of its output over the past few years. as mentioned, the album artwork is always a highlight, the music not so much. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived