IGNORED

Can we finally change the term: Intelligent Dance Music (IDM) ?! And let's nominate a new term. Suggest one.

MaartenVC

<rant>

Like the title says:
Can we finally change the term: Intelligent Dance Music (IDM) ?!
It just sounds so wrong, elitist, pompous, dumb, non-descriptive, non-inclusive and uninspired.
Can we not all agree on this already?
Are there actually any people out there (including listeners and musicians) who like it?
After years (decades now) of being unsatisfied with the term: Let's change it already!
Language changes constantly.
It's not like we would rewrite history.
We have the power WATMM!
For the love of god. (or whatever other ethereal cosmological thing you believe in)
Come one.
I can't take this idiocy any more.
(and I know I'm not alone on this one, it's even a section on the wiki-page)

Let's nominate a new term!

WATMM, please, pretty please: Give your suggestions below.
Let's get this thing over with for once and for all.

My suggestions: Alternative Electronic Music or Experimental Electronic Music

It could roughly encompass and intersect the following sub-genres: Early Experimental Electronic Music, Contemporary non-mainstream Electronic Music, Ambient Techno & House, Acid Techno & House, Electro, Glitch, Bass / Dub, Breakcore / Drum n Bass / Jungle, Lo-Fi, Jazz influences, Wonky influences, Tribal influences...
It excludes: Electronic Dance Music (EDM) (mainstream Dance-Pop, House, Techno, Trance, Drum and Bass, Dubstep), Disco, Synth-Pop, New Wave, Indie Pop, Chiptune, Hip-Hop, Happy Hardcore,...
It is part of all Electronic Music.

</rant>

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually dont mind the term that much. Otherwise we should just call it braindance or experimental electronic music if some people really want to change it.

6 minutes ago, Blir said:

<div class="ipsType_normal ipsType_richText ipsContained" data-role="commentContent" data-controller="core.front.core.lightboxedImages">
<p> Why does everything need to be classified </p>
</div>

28 minutes ago, Blir said:

Why does everything need to be classified

Because the music you want to listen to is easier to find if you can categorize it by means of genres etc

IDM is still fine by me as a non-expandable initialism (something pronounced one letter at a time - not as a word e.g. NATO) and as an umbrella label, and I think wanting to replace it with something that doesn't carry the historical baggage is an exercise in bikeshedding (in the sense of being a futile investment of time and energy in discussion of marginal technical issues) and something I would classify as WOMBAT. The end result would be nothing short of contentious as the process would end up with design by committee. It was a mailing list, not a committee deciding on the definition of a musical genre, get over it already.

Archived