IGNORED

Can we finally change the term: Intelligent Dance Music (IDM) ?! And let's nominate a new term. Suggest one.

MaartenVC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me it's more pretentious to hate on the word IDM than it is to not mind it.

Sorry it doesn't make you appear more woke or cool than everyone else.  It's a friggin' music genre it isn't a foreign affairs policy.

#LeaveIDMalone

I’ve been calling it e-Jazz for ages (short for electronic-Jazz, something I mention every time I say or mention e-Jazz (short for electronic-Jazz).

Don't care for what it stands for but I like the flow of the letters IDM, sounds like something from a science fiction movie. Also it's close to DMZ and I love that term, Demilitarized Zone. So I don't mind it.  

I've kind of always thought the guys who make it are pretty intelligent, which they are, so it's not that far from the truth! I'm sure Richard once said in an interview he preferred the term Acid Techno. 

People who started the Hyperreal IDM List:
"Hey, it'd be funny if we called it Intelligent Dance Music, like dance music that had its own intelligence. Like the Artificial Intelligence series."
"Lol yeah, that's a fun name."

People who like music that didn't fit the same category:
"YOU WHAT MATE ARE YOU CALLING US UNINTELLIGENT???"

Just now, purlieu said:

People who started the Hyperreal IDM List:
"Hey, it'd be funny if we called it Intelligent Dance Music, like dance music that had its own intelligence. Like the Artificial Intelligence series."
"Lol yeah, that's a fun name."

People who like music that didn't fit the same category:
"YOU WHAT MATE ARE YOU CALLING US UNINTELLIGENT???"

Yeah back in those days when it was mostly Black folks making dance music, the term even seemed a bit racist. Now dance music is full of pasty frat boys.

1 hour ago, user said:

I’ve been calling it e-Jazz for ages (short for electronic-Jazz, something I mention every time I say or mention e-Jazz (short for electronic-Jazz).

Wee wee jazz

2 hours ago, IDEM said:
2 hours ago, diatoms said:

That's it!

IDM

is now

IDEM

e = roll?

Wanna buy an E?

two please

one for later coming down:)

Archived