IGNORED

Autechre : an archive of scorn disappointment and distrust

Draft78

There is nothing more amusing than reading negative comments on autechre. A shining example of relativity: the same qualities considered exemplary by those who love them are used as deplorable facts by those who cannot tolerate them.
So, here is a thread that collects the common sense of repulsion towards the subject of this forum.

I start with this gem just found on the net:

It was the worst concert of more than hundred I have been to.

The duo started out anonymously half an hours later they were supposed to. Rob Hall had to come out and play twice, I guess, because Autechre were late. While Autechre were performing, it was completely dark in the hall. At first, I thought it was sort of a sound-check or an intro. However, I realized soon that this is the way it should be. What they played was just a bunch of random sounds, with no rhythm and no melodies whatsoever. It felt as if there was a baby sitting somewhere playing with a newly discovered musical gear by pushing buttons and turning knobs without any understanding of what s(he) is doing. It went like that for nearly 45 minutes (even less that each of the 'guest' musicians played). Autechre didn't even bother to say 'hi' or 'bye', let alone 'thank you' to the audience.

I feel I was laughed by the duo, the concert agency and the venue, who did not indicate that the performance is going to be done in complete darkness and very short.

Very disappointed. I wish I stayed at home.

by Tochkinade

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Facepalm 2
  • Burger 2

lol

How dare they not say "thank you" to the audience?!

If I ever have a band, it will be called s(he). For that I thank you, Tochkinade.

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, Draft78 said:

At first, I thought it was sort of a sound-check or an intro. However, I realized soon that this is the way it should be

im pretty sure s(he) plagiarised this bit from an an alco review

• Like 3

My goodness. This review. "Laughed at by the duo." Priceless. 

I find this a funny example of how quick to offense some people can be, and most often it's over nothing at all. I wish I could show this person how much Autechre goes out of their way for their fans, in ways that very few artists would. I'd show him my gorgeous signed EPs box set, framed and proudly displayed on my wall, which they signed when they actually hung out and chatted with me for like 15-20 minutes in an alley beside the venue, talking about the sound in the venue and all that shit. Fucking cool dudes without the bullshit pretension that comes with the territory of being artists loved by thousands in every corner of the world. 

When I think about how people get offended over things like this, it reminds me to check myself if I feel miffed at something that was probably stupid, and to re-evaluate other people's intentions. 

• Like 2

i go to the venue at 5:45am even though the concert doesn't start until 9pm. i've never heard of "the autechre brothers" but if i'm going to a concert i want good seats. inside the venue it turns out there are no seats it's something called "standing room only" which i have never heard of. that's strike one (1) against sean and rob of "the duo." i order a bottle of wine but i am told they do not do bottle service here. i mourn the entire lack of japanese whisky available and opt to drink from my flask of homemade spirits. i proceed to get wasted as i make my spirits 100 proof. the brothers do not go on right away. instead they have "act" who "open" for them which frankly enrages me. do you think mozart had beethoven "open" for him? lmao no, mozart just showed up and blasted the fucking piano like a king and said hello and thank you to the audience (i'll get to this). my wife calls me but i send the call to voice mail. this is my night out to see autechre the band, i cannot be distracted by the common concerns of a woman at this hour. she was probably asking why i didn't pick up the kids from school but the answer to that is obvious. idioit. so yeah some guy named rob haswell or whatever plays "dj music" whatever that is. i'm furious at this. autechre were supposed to go on at 10:30 but did not appear in the venue at all until 10:31. extremely unprofessional. i noticed all the lights turned off when they arrived. my first thought is this must mean they will be saying hello to the audience. but no, it was "theatrics" intended to orient the audience more deeply into the world of sound. is this done at concerts? seems ludicrous. how am i supposed to see the performances? the music is awful. i had never heard their stuff before but it's evident that if you gave an infant a computer and max/msp they could easily program this stuff. i bet they actually stole this from a baby's crib. these guys plagiarized from babies which is the lowest of the low. lower than hitler. they played this "music" for like 45 mins. a concert is supposed to be 60 minutes on the dot. so i feel i am owed 15 additional minutes of this music i hated. at the end of the show they did not thank me properly or even address me by name and say good night to be or even offer to text me later something like "gnite <3". honestly fuck these guys

• Like 7
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 11
  • Burger 4

Thread has promise, as long as it keeps relative and doesn't descend into cheap snobbery and dogma. These takes aren't necessarily wrong, just bemusingly obnoxious, a funny little relatable satire which just misses the point of their appeal completely. Nice work.

I went to see them in Melbourne in 2010, and before the gig started I overheard some people talking about how they were looking forward to hearing "Autechno". I could tell that the whole group of 6 had no idea who they were and had just seen the name somewhere, hoping for a nice night of club music. I had a bit of a chuckle to myself and thought these poor bastards have no idea what they are in for...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

...well, i have to admit that if a live of Anthony and John (which could have cost me a flight to poland or who knows where) lasted 45 minutes, a little amount of pain in the ass would come to me too

I went in to listening to this with somewhat high expectations, seeing as how Skinny Puppy released such a great Vault series and Autechre could no doubt kick their balls. Instead, all this consists of is a bunch of electronic instrumental music. It's not even good instrumental music, mostly just a bunch of noises. Atleast when Skinny Puppy were noisy, they had vocals. Ogre fails to make an appearance on this album and overall, it's a letdown. Hopefully the forthcoming limited edition Autechre Vault series will be better.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is this "music" a sick joke? It sounds like noisy machinery. I bought this on a whim based on the favorable reviews and associations with other electronica i really enjoy. But this is very different-in a BAD way. Worst music I have ever heard. I could easily make music like this by banging pots and pans together and randomly strumming a bass guitar. I cannot recognize any talent in this whatsoever.

Harsh, annnoying, irritating and just plain awful. Essentially this is disc full of nothing. There isn't single sound throughout that is remotely interesting and this is my third review I've written for cornfield.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Oooh, two guys doing difficult things with drummachines and keyboards; only the extremely naive buy this just because they think it'll make them look intelligent. This has nothing to do with music. I listen to virtually every kind of music; the otherworldy feel it sometimes has can be great. But Confield is just a big joke.
Take the first track; it's absolutely unlistenable trash which sounds the same as a couple of wine glasses on top of a spinning washing machine. I bet Confeld took a lot of work, programming the beats in the most difficult way possible, but Sean and Rob really wasted their time. It's as uninteresting as it is bad. Avoid it bigtime.

It's like an insane orangutang let loose with a blender in a grocery store. Sure he can make you a smoothie that reminds you of something relatively tasty from time to time, but he'll mostly make you something pretty damn awful.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2