IGNORED

Autechre : an archive of scorn disappointment and distrust

Draft78

13 minutes ago, NewSchoolScience said:

Have you ever known someone stupid who liked Ae?  No.  No, I didn’t think so.

I like autechre though.

there goes your theory ?

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, xox said:

mmh... ok, but yorke is known for appreciating autechre, so for some transitive property , we also end up in that ranking, but i don't know if like intelligent people or idiots 

20 minutes ago, xox said:

citing abstracts isn't really helping. either way neither the abstracts nor the full article by bonetti and costa make any mention of control for socioeconomic status, which correlates with both IQ and level of education. therefore it's very likely to also be predictive of your cultural capital and thus also your taste in music. am not saying this is the case, but that most of the above research and reasoning is flawed. the last article mentions a similar thought

Instead, what we see is that classical music may just be a proxy for social class and education. Highly educated people may be more likely to listen to classical music, but obviously listening to different types of music is not a shortcut to a college education.

• Thanks 1

When Oversteps came out and I was listening to it my father walked into the room while known(1) was playing and quipped, "your room sounds like a fucking opium den." He then shut the door and walked out.

• Haha 6

When Ae_Live first came out i was blastin it in my car and i picked up my dad to go somewhere he asked "is it SUPPOSED to sound like that?"

Edit: Nah, pops, thats how we enjoy music these days.. by torturing it and putting the remainder thru a digital siev

Edited by DyeMyBlueBlack
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Although Artificial Intelligence's sleevenotes had insisted that the new electronica 'cannot be described as soulless or machine made', what's most interesting about Autechre's work is the absence of heart and humanity, the way that the listener's impulse to forge an emotional connection simply ricochets off the impenetrable, gnomic surfaces of their sound. At times you can't help wonder if the 'aut' in their name stands for autism: listening, the mind's eye conjures up a vision of two small boys surrounded by tekno toys, lost in their own little pre-verbal world of chromatics and texture and contour."

Simon Reynolds, Energy Flash. A Journey through Rave Music and Dance Culture

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 5