IGNORED

insanely good usages of gear you own and obviously suck at

thawkins

Well that was super useful. Now I know how all of the different sections of the synth work together and already making better sounds. I might even revisit the video just to drive it into my head. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/28/2020 at 4:59 AM, yekker said:

Well that was super useful. Now I know how all of the different sections of the synth work together and already making better sounds. I might even revisit the video just to drive it into my head. 

I find that it helps me to sit down and follow a tutorial for gear and then go through the motions. You don't even need to worry about consciously learning anything, your brain will make the connections itself, you just have to have a really rough idea of what's going on in the synth.

My whole life I've been very anti-manual... not for any particular reason I'm aware of.  I just don't like reading instructions.  They always seem far more complicated than what's actually required.  

25 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

My whole life I've been very anti-manual... not for any particular reason I'm aware of.  I just don't like reading instructions.  They always seem far more complicated than what's actually required.  

Indeed.. I'd much rather watch a video. 

Cause Im retarded a visual learner. 

Not going to lie I sometimes read instruction manuals for things I don't and will probably never own. Not that they necessarily help me learn anything, I jsut like 'em.

Video tutorials aren't that great for me either, I'm mainly a spatial learner, even abstract conceptual stuff I kind of translate into physical, three dimensional relationships in my brain to really understand them.  Part of the reason I never got that great at math is because the fundamental stuff like arithmetic was always really slow, because I'd have to kind of mentally translate it from abstract numbers into physical shapes, and it worked fine but it wasn't that practical.

Anyway, manuals are fun.

15 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Not going to lie I sometimes read instruction manuals for things I don't and will probably never own. Not that they necessarily help me learn anything, I jsut like 'em.

Video tutorials aren't that great for me either, I'm mainly a spatial learner, even abstract conceptual stuff I kind of translate into physical, three dimensional relationships in my brain to really understand them.  Part of the reason I never got that great at math is because the fundamental stuff like arithmetic was always really slow, because I'd have to kind of mentally translate it from abstract numbers into physical shapes, and it worked fine but it wasn't that practical.

Anyway, manuals are fun.

31 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

I love manuals. I drooled over the Monomachine manual for years before I got one. Those LFO diagrams are lush.

same thing here, need to read the manual AND practicing with the machine to get a grasp of how things work.

1 hour ago, Taupe Beats said:

For me it's simple, the artist Araabmuzik:

This is good, but people who make audio vids and record it using the phone mic in the what appears to be a pro studio... seriously?!!?!

19 minutes ago, thawkins said:

This is good, but people who make audio vids and record it using the phone mic in the what appears to be a pro studio... seriously?!!?!

There are a ton of videos of him with professional sound. I always liked this performance specifically. The sacrifices the world sometimes ask of us...

2 hours ago, Taupe Beats said:

There are a ton of videos of him with professional sound. I always liked this performance specifically. The sacrifices the world sometimes ask of us...

Yeah I get 200% why you would post this specific video. I am raging at the world.

I love reading manuals, but not from the beginning when using something new, I enjoy the trial and error process a lot. In software land, manuals by u-he, Tokyo Dawn Labs and DMG Audio are stellar, super insightful and nicely written.

11 minutes ago, Nil said:

I love reading manuals, but not from the beginning when using something new, I enjoy the trial and error process a lot. In software land, manuals by u-he, Tokyo Dawn Labs and DMG Audio are stellar, super insightful and nicely written.

And manuals from Madrona Labs, with the cool drawings !

7 hours ago, Nil said:

Yeah, I usually read the manual before I get something and then refer back to it later if I need specific information.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 9:48 PM, sweepstakes said:

That said, DAWs suck, I hate them. Anyone who's not a slave to the timeline yet should use software but something more fun and interesting like VCV.

Real pros write their own granular synthesis software like Curtis Roads

1 hour ago, drillkicker said:

Real pros write their own granular synthesis software like Curtis Roads

...just to make shitty music with it. For that he could went warez

Archived