IGNORED

Atom tm - <3

d-a-m-o

I don't know, I just like it. A lot. Not sure there's anything to "get", as I've said in a previous post, it's catchy as fuck, nodding to canonical synth-pop without sounding like an Nth copycat. And to my ears, it has humor and somehow some sort of healthy subversion to spare.

Don't worry, there are many records that bore me to death too.

Edited by Nil
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guess its just not my cup of tea, maybe itll grow on me, maybe not. So far I find myself to be really turned of by the, in my ears, shit sounding vocals.

Edited by thumbass

The vocals reminds me of a blend between Kraftwerk and vocal synthesis experiments by Amnesia Scanner. Heresy incoming, I much prefer the latter.

On a related note, I hope Atom will release his live collaboration with Peter Van Hoesen. I haven’t heard one bit of their sets, but I bet they’re freaking stellar.

Edited by Nil
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Nil said:

The vocals reminds me of a blend between Kraftwerk and vocal synthesis experiments by Amnesia Scanner. Heresy incoming, I much prefer the latter.

On a related note, I hope Atom will release his live collaboration with Peter Van Hoesen. I haven’t heard one bit of their sets, but I bet they’re freaking stellar.

it look like he produced the album in collaboration with an AI from what I understand ? don't know if he's taking the piss or if it's true ? Also yes about the Kraftwerk comparison,  I guess it's hard to "understand" this album or HD if you're not into Kraftwerk in the first place...

3 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

it look like he produced the album in collaboration with an AI from what I understand ? don't know if he's taking the piss or if it's true ? Also yes about the Kraftwerk comparison,  I guess it's hard to "understand" this album or HD if you're not into Kraftwerk in the first place...

I love kraftwerk they, together with aphex got me into electronic music

Edited by thumbass

yeah. Uwe is probably the worlds biggest kraftwerk fan and he's taking their dry deadpan humor and bringing it into the digital present with extremely "HD" production and simple, goofy lyrics about computer tech. I don't think these are albums to think too deeply about, they're "pop product" from the perspective of one of the most prolific and amazing producers of electronic music in the last 30 years. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, thumbass said:

Guess its just not my cup of tea, maybe itll grow on me, maybe not. So far I find myself to be really turned of by the, in my ears, shit sounding vocals.

Yeah it's an acquired taste innit. I can't really explain why I enjoy it so much. Like DLo says it's that deadpan humour I think that appeals to me alongside really tight production. It's one of those albums I can't share with people outside geeky forums though, if I played this around friends or family they'd think I'm enjoying it ironically. When I listen to stuff like this I always imagine bringing a girl round to cook her a romantic dinner and her being like "let's put some music on" and hitting play on this. Then I have to explain myself and ah it's just too much effort.

• Like 1

Also LB -- Pop Artificielle (strictly cover versions, but they're great and were lightyears ahead at the time production-wise) as well as the aforementioned HD.

Liedgut and Winterreise are forays into a more baroque style that I find very enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, species8472 said:

maybe this is in the other thread but i lazy. what are deemed the ‘essential’ atom tm releases?

His output is so varied and vast that I think it's impossible to answer that question, just go look at his bandcamp and dive into the catalogue. You'll be there for days! Have fun!

2 hours ago, IDEM said:

Liedgut and Winterreise are forays into a more baroque style that I find very enjoyable.

Winterreise was a spectacular take on providing a setting to the poems cycle. Apparently there are some photos related that were available at some point from Raster-Noton?

7 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

His output is so varied and vast that I think it's impossible to answer that question, just go look at his bandcamp and dive into the catalogue. You'll be there for days! Have fun!

Winterreise was a spectacular take on providing a setting to the poems cycle. Apparently there are some photos related that were available at some point from Raster-Noton?

Yeah, these were included in the CD, the originals were much bigger and available from raster-noton as a limited edition.

20200424_180847.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah I had the postcards (back when I still bought physical representations of data), but the original limited editions would have been fantastic to put up on the wall.

Sigh - I wish I could afford his full discography. Some day.

• Like 1

Are y'all familiar with the Air Podcast? Really terrific interviews with electronic music producers, and the Atom TM one is so good:

https://soundcloud.com/airpodcast/air-011-atom-tm

Donato Dozzy, Monolake and Jeff Mills stick out as well, but most of them are just great. She's such a gifted interviewer.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, dr lopez said:

nice. i really grew to like this album. he's one of the only ones who can be funny and hi tek at the same time. 

Uwe's sense of humour is really underrated - I didn't get a lot of his stuff early on until I realised how many tracks were meant to be funny. 

I love this album. At first I thought it was lesser than HD but now I'm starting to think I like it a bit more. Nobody does this stuff quite like Uwe. ❤️