IGNORED

Aleksi Perala - Oscillation Part 1

chenGOD

2 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I can't keep up to his volume of output tbh, it's just so much and my wallet so smallll these days

Oh yeah for sure - I'm cheating on this one for now - it's on Apple music. Not out on bandcamp (yet?).

i got the vinyls playing now... all the tracks end in a locked groove. it takes me a minute or so to figure out whats going on and then i gotta get up and move the needle to go to the next track lol

16 hours ago, ARPA said:

boring week GIF

getting burnt out on colundi?

i have a sneaking suspicion that aleksi discovered an AI algorithm to generate music, the output of which he which he just quickly vets then slaps onto bandcamp for low effort unlimited income lol

Ceriously tho, I'd be interested in any informed takes as to what of his recent output WATMM deems essential... I fell off around Paradox and Simulation, and at best probably only heard 1/3 to a 1/2 of the Colundis up til that.  I'd be curious to know how much he's released since Colundi 1 - guessing it's somewhere upwards of 30 hrs, which is pretty insane

I dunno, some of it is formulaic at times, but f'key nell dude can be lush AF

2 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

Ceriously tho, I'd be interested in any informed takes as to what of his recent output WATMM deems essential... I fell off around Paradox and Simulation, and at best probably only heard 1/3 to a 1/2 of the Colundis up til that.  I'd be curious to know how much he's released since Colundi 1 - guessing it's somewhere upwards of 30 hrs, which is pretty insane

its my life's work to perfect the essential colundi playlist... not quite perfect yet...

6 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

I haven't heard all the colundis, but all that I've heard has been worth the time. Some of his ambient/drone material you can skip, but then recent output like his releases on трип (Paradox, Resonance) are bangers. Sunshine 1,2,3 are all good but not essential (imo - still picked them up cause fuck it). The spectrum releases are fucking mint. I know I'm glossing a lot but there's so much variety to his releases. https://aleksiperala.bandcamp.com/album/unknown is just filled to the brim with bangers for example (worth the 5 euros for the second to last track alone).

Almost 7 years he's been releasing based on colundi, and you can actually see the evolution in style over the period. Loving it.

On 4/22/2020 at 6:25 AM, Hugh Mughnus said:

I can't keep up to his volume of output tbh, it's just so much and my wallet so smallll these days

11 hours ago, EvilManiMani said:

getting burnt out on colundi?

i have a sneaking suspicion that aleksi discovered an AI algorithm to generate music, the output of which he which he just quickly vets then slaps onto bandcamp for low effort unlimited income lol

Yeah, I have that problem a lot in recent years. I'm a completist at heart, but some artists just make me wanna tap out. Same with someone like Conforce/Versalife, for example. Recondite too. Autechre obviously, but I still buy everything they release, cause they're fucking Autechre, and it's just always worth it. But some of these other guys, I don't know, it's like all the stuff they release is good, but it's kind of the same level of good, so the single release in itself doesn't really matter, it doesn't really make a difference if I have it or not. Then again, if I just listened to this one piece, I would find it amazing. It's like the bulk of their work humbles the single track. I know the sheer mass of output shouldn't devalue their actual releases and make me appreciate them less (again, cf. Autechre), but somehow it still does. With some artists, it's like they've found a formula that just works; it's effective and the tracks will really gel with me, so everything they release over years sort of appeals to me and wants to be cherished, but it's just too freaking much and frankly can seem sort of random, considering the sheer amount of tracks and the speed things are released on different platforms. It really makes you think about the actual work involved in electronic music production these days, which I know shouldn't be a factor when it comes to enjoying and appreciating a work of art, but still, sometimes it can almost feel like a sham.

Somehow I guess the Aphex Twin or BOC approach suits me better, where I actually have a chance of following everything they're doing and can still appreciate the occasional SC dump or whatever. I guess the middle ground between BOC and Perälä would be my comfort zone. Or maybe I just have to rid myself of this "completist" mindset cause the zeitgeist has moved past that or whatever. It's just that sometimes there are real gems hidden in there; I just can't afford the time to dig for them and find needles in so many different haystacks of decent music all over the place. Maybe I should have posted this in SFWP.

my count of Aleksi's Colundi based releases so far is 507 songs from 2012-Present  - a few more if you count the colundi style tracks that show up in the Mental Union Albums.

I haven't pinned down any specific albums or eps that stand out from the rest other than the strictly ambient ones I have in a playlist for sleeping that get a ton of play.

(colundi 5, colundi 17.5, connection, contact, presence)

HIs work all pleases me greatly and I play it all alot, mostly on random, none of it could I pinpoint "holy shit, that's the JAM"

1 hour ago, hayhook said:

"holy shit, that's the JAM"

This is the one for me:

I don't have playcount enabled, but if I did, I'm sure that one would be way up in the hundreds.

I like

1 hour ago, hayhook said:

the strictly ambient ones

I love all of these except "Presence" doesn't "hit" me like the rest. Out of those i think Contact is my favourite - so zen. I usually put it on for the drive to work so I'm calm heading in to work lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I sometimes wish he'd slow down the paces of new releases a bit but then every new record he puts out has a bunch of tracks I like. The recent batch of Spectrum records was really good.

33 minutes ago, sherkaner said:

I think is one of my favorite Colundis in a while. Getting SAW / Higher Intelligence Agency vibes.

Ok I might need to check this out now.

Archived